Tuesday, June 05, 2012

China Glaze OMG

As in, "OMG, I'm blogging again."  A camera has been lent to me, so I'm back.






China Glaze OMG is pretty much a classic.  Strong, silver linear holo.  It's totally stunning, especially for summer, and although there are a lot of semi-dupes or dupes roaming around out there for this one, there's just something utterly appealing about the China Glaze version.  There are two problems with it: first, the formula sucks.  It's thin and runny, difficult to control; also it leaves bald spots even if you wait between coats.  I did three here, and there are still a couple weird spots.  Not that big a deal.  Second, I think that top coat dulls the holo effect, and I don't like not using top coat.  That having been said, this dries super quickly even without top coat, so it has that going for it.  Despite these issues, I say if you run across it buy it (although I just checked ebay and the prices for this one are ridiculous) and if you have it cherish it.

In other news, I got an apartment in Manhattan.  Without ever leaving Cleveland!  If I had things my way I'd probably never leave Cleveland, but that's irrelevant.  I got a place through my school's graduate housing; I didn't think that would happen because there was a waiting list, but I got lucky.  The place is in East Harlem, and although this doesn't sound great I am placated by two things:  first, apparently the neighborhood is "becoming trendy," so that sounds semi-promising, and second, if Alfred Stieglitz took photographs of it the place is okay by me:



Speaking of Stieglitz...what do you guys think of the new Rescue Beauty Lounge Georgia O'Keeffe collection?  As someone who's going to get a doctorate in American art and who also loves nail polish I'm interested, but I'm kind of bummed there are no New York inspired polishes.  Sometimes when I think of O'Keeffe I think of flowers and the desert, but mostly I think of Manhattan.  




BUT I'm also obsessed with early twentieth century images of Manhattan, so maybe that's just me.  Maybe the collection was only inspired by desert.  Not entirely sure.  


Anyway, that's all for now.  Anyone have another silver holo they love more than China Glaze OMG? If so, I'd love to hear about it!

9 comments:

  1. I stayed in Harlem when I was in NYC this February, and aside from having to wait forever for my train, I really liked it! I hope you do, too.

    Hooray for the camera. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see your new post! Good luck in NYC!! Always love the trendy polishes you find!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just got Ozotic 509 - their silver holo - and am stoked to try it! Ozotics are excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Those NYC O'Keeffe images are wonderful. Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Happy things are falling into place for you in NYC. I have to admit I'm super stoked to see you and your pony sweater rock that place via photos. My all time favorite holos are from Color Club. Fashion Addict, Revvvolution (yes, three Vs), and Worth the Risque all have dynamite formulas and killer holo payoff. I dig.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so excited for you! Congrats! I lived in central Harlem (139th & Lenox Ave) for 4 years while I was in my PhD program. You'll be totally fine - just use your common sense. Bonus - you're probably right near the only Target on the island! It was actually easier for me to walk to the one in the Bronx from where I was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a huge blog sale to earn the money to buy all 7 of the RBL polish. It was my justification that it was ok to spend that much money on polish! I love the HITS Hefesto-which is a top coat holo-but anything by that brand in the Holo group is quite stunning. They are sold at llarowe or you can do like me and find a brazilian blogger and do a swap!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yey! Congrats on moving to NYC.
    I LOVED those pictures of Manhattan from Georgia O'Keefe I've never seen before. I immediately turned them into my computer screen.
    Huge fan of your blog and happy that we will soon be NYC neighbors! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!