Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Sephora by OPI XOX Betsey

Last week I had lunch with my lovely friend Michelle from over at All Lacquered Up.  In addition to good food, good conversation and great company, Michelle almost always comes bearing generous gifts, and this was no exception.  When she pulled the mini set of $OPI Betsey Johnson polishes out of her purse I said, "I didn't even know these were a thing."  And that's how far behind I am in beauty news.








XOX Betsey is a total winner.  I put it on and knew that I would need a full-sized bottle.  It's a pinky opaque nude, and I see a drop of blue in it as well.  I love it.  It was perfect in two coats, even with the tiny mini brush on the tiny mini bottle.  After I put this one on I was trying to think of a dupe I may have for it.  OPI Miso Happy With This Color seems like it may be too red, while OPI Let Them Eat Rice Cake seems like it might not be red enough.  Zoya Kennedy might be a contender.  I'm going to have to check out the dupe status before I go splurge on a full-sized bottle of this one.  That's assuming these are even still at Sephora.  I feel totally out of the nail polish loop.  

Today marks the day when I need to get my ass in gear re:  museum work.  My boyfriend had a three-day weekend, and we spent every minute of it together.  I went to my third car show of the summer (it was hot and crowded and there were cars and also bugs), watched The Untouchables (yay), hung out with some of his friends, had dinner with my parents and grandmother for Father's Day, finished Six Feet Under with him, started Harper's Island with him, and went to an Indians game with him and another couple.  It feels so good to just relax, hold hands, and do stuff.  It feels like for the past year or so I was struggling to be happy, and now I know what happy feels like.  I want to grab that feeling and hold onto it, and that's my challenge these days.  But so far I'm doing pretty well.  My only lament is that my best friend moved to Boston.  It feels so weird to not text her and say, "I'm on my way over, let's order Chinese," or "I'll meet you at Starbucks in 15 minutes."  Instead it's "what'd you do today?"  But I'm getting used to it.

So, can anyone think of a dupe for $OPI XOX Betsey?  If you can, please let me know so I don't go spend $9 on this polish.  'Cause I wanna.  'Cause I love it.

17 comments:

  1. i love this polish. i coveted it for so long. bought it and havent even worn it yet! but i love it!
    and i love six feet under, what did you think of the ending?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched Six Feet Under on DVD by myself at the end of 2010/beginning of 2011. I remember absolutely weeping through the last four episodes. And the last ten minutes of the finale I was sobbing. When my boyfriend and I first started dating I told him we needed to watch it and that he would love it, so we watched all of them together.

      Watching it a second time I still loved it just as much as the first. Now that I knew what was going to happen, I could see them setting things up several episodes prior to certain events. I could see characters developing and things falling into (and out of) place. I maintain that it's the best show that has ever been on television, and nothing [on television] as ever and will ever affect me emotionally as profoundly. It made me view death in a totally different way.

      So I guess that's a long way of saying: I love the ending.

      Delete
  2. The Betsy stuff should still be at Sephora if you can't find a dupe. And its good you are feeling happy. Is the boyfriend a new acquisition? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Relatively new, yes. We've been doing the dating thing for over two months now. And I am smitten.

      Delete
  3. Oh yeah, it's definitely still available on the Sephora website. I think it looks boss on you! I'm a sucker for nude polishes, so consider this lemming birthed.

    Fun fact for you, since I know you love both of these shows: the design company that did the main title design for "Six Feet Under" also did the one for "Dexter." Clearly beautiful things happen when you have shows about death starring Michael C. Hall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did know that, actually! I love the credits for both, but the music for SFU trumps Dexter. Didn't the same people also do the True Blood credits? I don't watch that show, but I had heard tell.

      Delete
    2. They did! :) Have you read this interview? I was reading this yesterday (came to that site via a "Game of Thrones" post) and was intrigued. http://www.artofthetitle.com/2010/09/27/dexter/

      The "Game of Thrones" credits are probably my favorite ones right now (that is, on a show that isn't "Dexter"). I also really loved "Carnivale" and "The Sopranos" credits when they were on! [/tv nerd]

      Delete
    3. I've never seen Game of Thrones. My ex and all his pals watch it and were completely obsessed, but I haven't read the books or anything and I'm not into that genre, so I've stayed away. I don't watch many things that are still airing (you probably remember that I don't have a tv); just Mad Men, Dexter, and Breaking Bad. But I'm always looking for little frivolous time-wasters :)

      Delete
    4. Did you ever watch "Pushing Daisies" and "Wonderfalls"? They seem very Stephanie to me, especially the former ... some people find it too twee, but it's my heart. :)

      It's okay, I don't have cable, either. Just a boyfriend with cable. Also, Netflix.

      Delete
    5. Yes! I loved Pushing Daisies AND Wonderfalls (but you're right, especially Pushing Daisies). Lee Pace!

      Delete
  4. Hey there! Just wanted you to know that when I use Google Chrome, I get a malware warning on your blog and now I'm using Internet explorer and the warning has gone. There is something going around and somehow it's linked to certain blogs on your blog roll. A lot of people are deleting their blogrolls-but if you go to google webmaster tools it should help you figure out if you really have a problem or not. Jut thought you should know! PS love that last post-my kind of color and YUM I love those!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the quirkiness here--- putty + lilac = <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Funny to me that you loved it so much. I hated it on me. Too lavender. Must be my skin tone. I'd gladly send you my mini bottle if you want it. I will say that I'm ridiculously in love with "Pushing Your Luck" from that collection. It is, I think, the perfect red. Perfect. Bought the big bottle of that one yesterday, so I assume the big one of XOX should also be available.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Were you bawling at the series finale of Six Feet Under? I was inconsolable!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey Stephanie! I eyed this one in Sephora, but looked really similar to OPI Steady as She Rose. I'm pretty sure it was you that made me go searching for that one. :) I didn't get it, so I may be well off.

    P.S. Michael C. Hall went to Earlham College, which is a few blocks from my house. If I knew of him when he was there, I may have been a serious stalker.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you have lunch with Michelle from ALU again, tell her I miss her (not that I don't love your blog & all, I found yours through hers actually!). It's just that my ALU homegirl was the gateway blog, and I'm jonesing hard... ha ha :) xoxo, flipflopgal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard she'll be back to blogging soon, so hang in there!

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!