Thursday, July 05, 2012

A China Glaze Cherry Pie Fourth of July

The question "how predictable is Stephanie?" may have been plaguing you (because why wouldn't it be?), and in answer to that question I am showing you a red polish that I've shown here and here, and mentioned again here (the swatches in the first link are the best).  But listen, I like what I like and I can't help it, right?  Since you can just navigate to those links I provided and see decent swatches, I'm just going to show you some quick 'n dirty ones.





I'm showing them AS SUCH because I'm about to embark on a road trip to my parents' lake house for my annual family reunion/crazy-happy-funtimes/Fourth of July celebration.  You may say to yourself, "But it's July 5th."  To that I would say that you are correct, friend, but although my family has left already for the festivities, boyfriend Ben had to work today.  When this posts we'll be on our way down a day late, tardy for that party as some would say.  As I am writing this it is in fact July 4th and I'm all alone-y on my own-y while Ben is at work.  I'm a little bummed and lonely, but I can't wait to get to the lake.  So I Fourth of July-ed my nails to keep myself busy (I am avoiding packing, clearly).

So, China Glaze Cherry Pie.  Warm toned red jelly with pink glassfleck shimmer, which cools down the color tone and makes the polish look like it's burning with a million tiny embers.  Want to hear a secret, though?  You see how that bottle up there looks so effed up and wonky?  It's because I love this polish and I take it with me places.  And I've begun to covet the remaining polish.  This one requires three coats to be perfectly opaque, so instead of wasting Cherry Pie, I did a coat of OPI Guy Meets Gal-veston, one of Cherry Pie, then topped it off with another of the OPI.  It worked out well, huh? 


And to complete the obligatory red, white, and blue business I put China Glaze Ride the Waves on my toes.  YOU GUYS.  This blue is out-of-control amazing.  I can't wait to wear this on my fingers.


As promised in my last post, I am wearing my Old Navy blue and gray chevron top as [most of] my Fourth of Jul-outfit, which you can sort of see here.  No, I'm not driving so DON'T WORRY.  My car was stationary.  Also, Aztec sunnies.  Favorite summer sunglasses, hands-down.

What else, what else...oh, right.  I had something I wanted to ask you guys.  Liquid liners.  What are the best ones?


I've forgone lipstick recently in favor of a rather dramatic cat-eye look.  Ben likes it and it's sort of a nice change, but since I'm not an expert in the eye-making-up field I thought I would ask you guys which liquid liners you're into.  The one I'm using now is Maybelline Eye Studio Master Precise Ink Pen Eyeliner, which is a mouthful.  Aside from the fact that it's not waterproof I don't have any complaints.  But could I be using something better?  Also I'm pretty bad at achieving liquid lines, so I like things in pen form if possible.  I can also work a tiny angled brush so I guess a gel liner could be okay.  Things to ponder.

Well, anyway, I won't be posting until next week because my family thing goes until Sunday or Monday.  Yay!  Super excited.  I'm even looking forward to the drive down with Ben [insert lovey-dovey talk here].  But.  Is anyone else as obsessed with China Glaze Cherry Pie as I am?  It might be...my perfect red.  And I do cherish my little beaten up bottle.

AND as an addendum, I do need to think about which polishes to bring with me to New York.  I will have limited packing space, and I think I'm only going to bring ten or so (plus base and top coat).  Any suggestions?  I mean, clearly Cherry Pie is coming with me...

32 comments:

  1. Ride The Waves is amazing, I wore it on my toes too! We went to SoCal two weeks ago for the weekend and it was perfect for walking on the beach in Malibu!

    Have a blast on your holiday weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Smashbox Jet Set liners. They last forever and are waterproof. Just remember to wash your brush after each use and it lasts and lasts!

    Have fun this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking for something a tad more budget conscious, but I will keep that in mind for Santa at the holidays ;)

      Delete
  3. Ten polishes!? I'd have to bring at least 20, or I'd just wind up at Ricky's and Duane Reade every other day, making up the difference. Hm, a sheer creme, a sheer shimmer, a good opaque nude, a bright coral, a true red, a navy blue, a vampy, a purple, a dark green, an olive green... and a glitter? I'd have such separation anxiety if I had to leave my stash behind!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, okay. Maybe 15. I don't know how nail polish-y I'll feel once I make the move. I remember the last time I moved I didn't feel like doing my nails for WEEKS, and all I wore was Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Concrete. What a sad time.

      Delete
  4. I tried gel liner and T_T it is a pain! Okay not a pain but more troublesome to use than pencil liner but not necessarily better than pencil! I will try liquid ones sooon and then I'm probably never buying gel liners again D:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The flick is sort of hard to achieve with a pencil. I've done it before with kohl, but it has to be really sharp. Kind of a pain.

      Delete
  5. I really like the Jordana felt tip liner - it's super easy to use and stays well on my super oily lids. It's not waterproof though.

    As far as polishes to pack go, I'd bring some of those funky nudes you like so much (ahaha that sounds so awkward), something dark and vampy, a neon (or several, since it's summer), a sparkly topper that goes with everything, a blue, and a pink. Maybe something totally funky, like a crackle, if you feel like it. That way you have a variety in case your family wants you to paint their nails (or maybe this only happens to me on vacation). ;)

    Have fun in New York - your family reunion sounds awesome! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I'm MOVING to New York for at least half a decade. My family vacation was just a couple hours south, still in Ohio. But your suggestions are great, and I will definitely keep this list handy.

      Delete
  6. I have wanted to track down a CG Cherry Pie for a few yrs now since I saw it...I was not tracking CG for a whole lot of years. It was around in my neck of the woods along with CND as the 2 brands to get with in pre OPI days of the 80's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found mine at Sally's on clearance a couple years ago. Lucky break ;)

      Delete
  7. Both the blue and red look great on you!!! I also love the Smashbox Jet Set and they have a liner pen too. You did a great job with the eye liner, it looks amazing on you. I recently bought China Glaze Cherry Pie @ Head 2 Toe on line. Enjoy your vacation!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to wear liquid liner every day until I discovered gel eyeliner. It applies as cleanly and as evenly as a liquid liner, but since you use a brush to apply and it dries so much more quickly, it's much easier to use. I do winged out liner every single day and I have never had an issue with the gel. I use Sonia Kashuk and have tried the Maybelline one, but prefer Sonia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bought a Maybelline one this weekend. If I hate it I'll hit up Sonia Kashuk. Thank you for the suggestions!

      Delete
  9. I love Cherry Pie! That was my mani last 4th of July. I really need to wear it again soon.
    For liquid liner I highly recommend the Stila Stay All Day Waterproof Liner. It's the only liner I've been wearing lately because it stands up to the 100+ degree heat we've been having here. I also like Physicians Formula Eye Booster Liquid Liner. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard that the Stila is amazing. People on YouTube seem to swear by it.

      Delete
  10. I really like Lorac's Front of the Line Pro -- it's got a very thin tip, which I like because it makes it easier to vary the width of the line (I think). I used to use Lancome's Artliner, which is so easy to find when you are not blessed with a Sephora or Ulta (yes, there are such places!), but a few years ago I developed an allergy to it. Itchy red eyelids are no fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yuck! I have yet to find an eye makeup that gives me itchy or red eyes, but I have REALLY SENSITIVE eyes, so I'm actually surprised that's the case.

      Delete
  11. who can blame you for going all patriotic? i love that shade of red!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  12. China Glaze Wagon Trail. I am obsessed with that polish because of you, so you must take it with you to New York (I know, my logic is flawless)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely be taking Wagon Trail. So far my list is as follows:
      1.) Wagon Trail
      2.) Cherry Pie
      Kind of a sad list.

      Delete
  13. I am in love with those shoes!!! Stunning my dear! This comment is prob too late for your packing so I won't list some polish names here. I'm so glad you are posting more regularly-must mean you are happy-plus no school! I love this red and you can show it as often as you want!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) They're BOC and I got them at DSW two years ago...but they still have variations of the same shoe there.

      Delete
  14. The Mac one! There's always like a war on MUA over which is best - this or the Bobbi Brown. But the Mac is cheaper so that makes it win for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got a drugstore one because I'm cheap, but actually I think the MAC one is only $5 more...so it'll be my next purchase. Thanks!

      Delete
  15. I don't know much about liquid eyeliners (too afraid to use them because I feel like I'll stab my own eye out haha) so I can't help you much there. But I do loove your nails! The red and blue are so classy and very 4th of July indeed. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I was afraid of liquid liner too, but I tested the waters with a Wet n Wild one and discovered there was nothing to be afraid of!

      Delete
  16. Cherry Pie is one of my faves bc it looks so good in photographs. As far as liner, I am a cat eye whore and I LOVE the NYX Skinny liner. Cheap, easy, like a felt tip.

    Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks! I'll check that one out next time I go to Ulta.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!