Monday, July 30, 2012

China Glaze Surfin' For Boys (and Leaving Cleveland Heights)

Remember when I wore China Glaze Flirty Tankini and I decided it was too pink and not orange enough?  If we're talking neon corals here, then Surfin' For Boys is what I really wanted for summer.




To my eye, this one looks like a neon red-orange base, but then it has this really delicate pink shimmer throughout that makes the polish read as coral.  I really, really like this one.  It may be my favorite neon I've ever worn.  I do love China Glaze Flip Flop Fantasy, but there's something about the shimmer in this one that appeals to me.  Also, Surfin' For Boys has an excellent formula.  None of the thickness of Flirty Tankini.  It went on in two very easy coats.  No neon-streaky-goopy-bald-spot bullshit here.  I'm really glad I picked this one up.  And speaking of picking up, this is really just the pick-me-up I needed after a hectic weekend.

Yesterday all of my big furniture was moved out of my apartment.  So now it's pretty barren.  Ben and his friend did all of the very heavy moving, while I ran up and down the stairs with as many light loads as I could.  They were both amazing.  Ben's napping next to me right now, which is adorable.  He certainly earned a nap.  All of my furniture is now living in my parents' basement.  My cats, Alley and Raven, seemed delighted to have new things to sniff. In particular, I could see Raven eyeing my pristine couch and flexing those claws of his.  If Raven had a resume, "destroying furniture" would be one of his skills.  You guys remember Raven, right?  I haven't mentioned him much because he's been crashing with my parents.  And he will continue to do so.  He's very happy there.
Here is he is, probably gearing up to destroy that chair.

Anyway, my plan is to spend today cleaning the place, spend the night on an air mattress (because I'm classy), and then clean some more tomorrow morning and afternoon.  I'll hand the keys over at 3:30 and bid farewell to Cleveland Heights.  Insert sad face here.

The weirdest part about moving, for me, is that you go to seeing one place every day to seeing it never. Like I kind of still haven't gotten over that with my place in Chicago.  I used to walk down University Avenue every day to my apartment on 54th.  I used to eat from the same place all the time (Pockets, holla!).  I'd see the same people.  And now I have to do the same thing with Cleveland Heights.  I'll never look out my living room window into the window of Tommy's Restaurant again.  I'll never walk down the street to read a book at Phoenix Coffee again.  But, that's just the way it has to be, I guess.  The next time I post I'll be doing it from my parents' house.  Or maybe Ben's.  I'm still not sure where I'm staying until I move to Manhattan (August 9th, by the way).  

Anyway, that was just an update.  Thank you for all the support you've been giving me.  It means a lot, and reading your advice and success stories has really helped me out; it's nice knowing that some of you have been in similar situations.

Until next time.

17 comments:

  1. Just think: you will look at big buildings and make new memories... All changes are not bad!!! You just never know what good is waiting for you in Manhattan!!! And my philosophy is: everything happens for a reason... :))
    Beautiful polish btw, but you already knew that! :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One more thing... Totally unrelated to your situation but maybe it will make you feel better? I moved to the US from Poland when I was 16, so at the high of my teenage friends/fitting in/drama. And I didn't know the language!! And I'm so glad I did... My life went on blah blah blah, and I got into anesthesia school (really hard to get in). And I didn't know whether to accept because 'I wouldn't be able to hang out with my bf at all'!! Long story short, those are the 2 things in my life that are the best things that ever happened to me!! Even though they both scared me shitless at first. So maybe that will help. Chin up girlie!!! You will rock NYC!!!

      Delete
    2. That's not unrelated at all! Thank you for the story :)

      Delete
  2. I hear ya - it is HARD closing a chapter and leaving a place behind. I understand your previous comments that many places feel like home. I'll bet that you'll feel that way about NYC soon. It will be hard and you will have difficult days, but you seem to be a person who will find her place. Scary decsions can be the best ones in the end - and remember nothing is permanent. If I were in your place I'd be watching a Felicity marathon - great way to gear up for NYC! Best of luck and I can't wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually never watched Felicity. But considering all the Breaking Bad I've been watching one might assume I'm moving to Albuquerque.

      Thank you for the comment!

      Delete
  3. That Raven picture cracked me up. I've never been one for cats but I think I get it a little more now that I have to cohabitate with one a few days of the month. Hope he doesn't destroy your chairs entirely!

    I hear you ... I drive through and the part of town where I used to live, and it's such a strange sensation, even though I'll be moving back, albeit in a different area of town. After two years in my apartment, I was ready to leave and upgrade, but at the same time I miss the proximity to certain places, and the people sighting. I wonder if you'll miss driving while you're in NYC? (I forgot to say this but bring "sensible" shoes ... you probably already know that you're going to be doing a LOT of walking there.) Anyway, you'll be feeling nostalgic for NYC before you know it. You remember what you said about how my previous workplaces sound "glamorous"? That's how I'll be feeling when you talk about the city. ;)

    I also forgot to say that my godbrother is starting medical school in the motherland ... he's more adaptable than I am, but I would have had a few meltdowns before I even left. He said it hit him that he was really leaving when his dog started acting upset and affectionate.

    P.S. I spent half a year on an air mattress. It was wonderful, and much better than the ancient folding bed my aunt let me have!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raven is very lovable, but he really likes to scratch furniture. My dad has rigged up elaborate cardboard guards for the sides of the couch to prevent him from scratching there. He ruined a couple of chairs my mom has had for years after he got comfortable here. But he's too cute for them to say much about it, shockingly.

      I'm not sure if I'll miss driving. Probably. I used to hate driving right when I moved back to Cleveland from Chicago, but now that I've relied on it so much I think I'll miss getting somewhere under my own power. Plus there's nothing like highway drivin' to relax me. Also, I got some new Tahari flats that are very comfortable for walking. This is a change from my regular 3" heels, but we'll see how I like 'em.

      I slept on an air mattress every time I stayed with my parents. Then we pulled a switcheroo, and my real bed was at my parents' and the air mattress at my place. My back hurts from that thing, man.

      Delete
  4. Awww, moving is the worst.

    I lived in 4 different houses throughout K-12 and am now on my 3rd apartment in 4 years.

    Before you know it, you'll be drinking .50 coffee and reading in Central Park =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I only moved once when I was a kid, but my mother will tell you that I hated it.

      Delete
  5. that is a fantastic summer shade. I love the little flecks of shimmer.
    That NEEDS to be my next peddi!
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
  6. i was looking through your posts about nailpolish and came across the photos of your cat on this post
    http://shortnchic.blogspot.ca/2010/04/maybelline-beach-plum-not-really-plum.html

    and realized your cat raven looks EXACTLY like my cat globoule he even has the white crotch D:
    picture of him :
    http://i50.tinypic.com/15nkubl.jpg

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can totally relate to all the moving feelings, issues, etc. I saw your post where you talked about people expecting you to only be excited, and not feel any "negative" emotions about the big move. I am moving from MN to London in about a month, and I think I am feeling just about every emotion possible! (I am the girl who g-chatted with you a while back - thanks again for taking time to talk to me.)

    It is my first time getting out of my comfort zone, and I am so scared about being in a totally new environment. Excited? Yeah. But mostly terrified!

    Good luck with everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, of course I remember you! Good luck in London! I know a few people there. One is a native Londoner, so of course he loves it, and the other is a transplant from Detroit. She has dual UK citizenship because her mother is Scottish. I know she's thriving in London. Anyway, that was a lot of information, but what I'm saying is that London will be amazing for you.

      Delete
  8. I have the most perfect song for you to listen to in sad times like these. Go to youtube. Search for Sia-Breathe Me. Did you ever watch Six Feet Under? It's the song they played when Clare (a main character) moves to New York from LA. Pretty much the same scenario ;)

    It's a really great opportunity for you. Starting over is hard, but it's really cleansing and challenging and you discover more about yourself than you thought possible. Hope your move goes well.

    (I have this nail color. It's awesome on toes!!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Six Feet Under is my favorite show of all time. I watch the last ten minutes of the series about once every couple of months when I need a good, cathartic cry. I lose my shit EVERY TIME Claire sees Nate disappear in the side-view mirror. Every time. The sentence, "you can't take a picture of this; it's already gone" replays itself in my head all the time. God, I'm such a Claire Fisher right now.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!