Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Maybelline Color Show Tenacious Teal

I'm back from my mini-vacation!  Sitting in a floating chair in a lake and drinking beer for several days at a time isn't easy, but someone had to do it.  But in all honesty, there was food, fireworks and family, and I'm happy that it was a [relatively] smooth and easy break.  So now let's talk about Maybelline.




The Color Show polishes are relatively new.  I'd been seeing them around the drug store for maybe a month or so, but I never felt compelled to try them.  On Monday night I headed up to CVS in search of a drug store gel liner, and I settled on Maybelline's variation.  It turned out that Maybelline stuff was BOGO 50%, so I got this polish also.  So, this is Tenacious Teal.  I actually love the color.  It reminds me a lot of OPI Jade Is the New Black, but I don't have my bottle with me now to compare.  

When I started putting this one on I was sort of disappointed with the formula.  The first coat went on really weirdly sheer and watery.  But it built up complete opacity after the second coat, and I ended up only needing two.  This polish looks so creamy and luscious on.  I really like it.  I'm glad I only had to pay $3 for it, but I think I would try out another Color Show polish at full price if I liked the shade enough.  And I saw a couple interesting ones there.  My boyfriend will tell you that I was squatting (in a dress) in front of the display for at least five minutes before I chose this color.  That's dedication.

So, a bit more on this past weekend.


It was hot.  I screen-capped this on Saturday at around 2:30pm (YES, I use military time on my phone; people can't get over that for some reason).  Saturday was probably the most brutal day, heat-wise.  We went on a boat ride in the morning to take my little cousins tubing (first mistake:  I'd had no coffee or food).  I got motion sick after about 30 minutes, and the heat was absolutely unbearable.  I spent the rest of the morning trying not to puke and the rest of the day floating in the lake.  I myself don't have a lot of pictures from when we were actually at the lake (those are on my mother's camera and probably Ben's phone), but I do have a couple pictures of where Ben and I stopped on our way home.


If you live in northern/central Ohio, you may be familiar with the signs on 71 touting the greatness of a place called, and I shit you not, "Grandpa's Cheesebarn."  On our drive home we finally decided to stop there and see what the hell it was about.  I say "finally" because my friend Sam had been trying to convince me to stop there for ages.  I never wanted to.  I mean, it's a cheesebarn.  But Ben convinced me.  And by that I mean, he put on a sad face when I said no.  Inside the cheesebarn is all kinds of...cheese.  But also honey and pickles and...just lots of food.  And you can get free samples of everything.  We wandered around there for a while, eating to our hearts' content, and then we went to the candy store next to the cheesebarn and bought some dark chocolate covered cashews for the rest of the ride home.


I could have had this EXCELLENT SOUVENIR.  Or this PERSONALIZED one that I should have gotten for Sam, since she never got to experience the cheesebarn.


Anyway, time well spent.  Cheese well consumed.  Cashews enjoyed immensely.  If you're anywhere near Ashland, Ohio, I suggest you visit this place.  If nothing else, it is hilarious.

That's all for today.  Anyone else tried the Maybelline Color Show polishes?  Any recommendations?

11 comments:

  1. Now I need to see just how far this Cheesebarn is from me, because it sounds like my idea of the perfect food store. :)

    I have bought a few of the Color Show but haven't gotten around to trying them yet. Seems there's always something more distracting to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If the Cheesebarn is within driving distance I highly recommend it ;)

      Delete
  2. Have not seen this line from Maybelline before. Looks like they were trying to copy the Nails Inc bottle from what I can see in your shots.
    It was 117 degrees today where I am in Palm Springs area. That's HOT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nails Inc. bottles seem much bigger, circumference-wise, to me. I don't know if they were "copying" them so much as trying to be different from other drug store bottle shapes.

      117 degrees sounds awful.

      Delete
  3. Woo, FINALLY a good swatch of this color. I picked this up along with Denim Dash and Styled Out from the same display. Itried looking up swatches of Tenacious Teal but it seems Maybelline has an eyeshadow with the same name, so swatches of the eyeshadow were all I got. I swatched mine on a nail wheel and was surprised by the weird watery consistency of the first coat too!

    I also just want to say... I love reading your updates about what's going on in your life and what you've been up to. You're pretty much the only nail blogger I can say that about, haha! But you're such an inspiration to me (I really admire your academic drive and achievements) and I love your posts.... And your fashion sense. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I noticed that about swatches of this one! I kept pulling up eyeshadow swatches.

      And thank you so much for those amazing compliments. You have no idea how wonderful that made me feel. You're so sweet!

      Delete
  4. FWIW, I think the purchase of a fish dress is very deserving of a trip to this Cheesebarn, so ... you made the right decision. ;) (That's funny ... we have an Ashland in VA too but no Cheesebarn, just a Kings Dominion.)

    This looks nice on you! I've got Twilight Rays from this display but I haven't tried it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fish dress is worth more than Cheesebarn! But yes, he's the best.

      Delete
  5. I've been seeing ads for this polish and wondered what all the fuss was about! I love cheese! Once when I visited Vermont, I stopped at several cheese shops on the way! It was awesome! That heat was crazy and glad it's gone for now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't say this particular polish is anything special--it's just a great drug store polish!

      Delete
  6. Loved the green!
    And your pics are always so funny :p
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!