Monday, July 16, 2012

Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stains: As Awesome As You've Heard?

A couple summers ago I went through a serious lip stain phase.  Actually, I think it was the beginning of my lipstick obsession.  But of course the problem with stains is that they're drying and sometimes irritating.  So I switched to matte lipsticks and forgot about stains.  Until I heard about Revlon Just Bitten Kissable Lip Stains, which are balm and stain COMBINED.  I'd been hearing raves about them from makeup bloggers and YouTubers alike, so I decided to try a couple.  I have four of them, and I'm going to talk about three today, Sweetheart, Darling, and Smitten.


First, here is what one of them looks like uncapped.


Darling

These are little crayon-type things that don't require sharpening.  They just twist up from the bottom.  And as many people have pointed out, no, the product doesn't go all the way down to the silver bit.  You don't get as much as you think you do, in other words.  But.  Not a big deal because these are amazing and well worth the money.  So, swatches.

Darling at the top, Sweetheart on the bottom

As you can see, these are pretty pigmented.  These aren't really heavily swatched, either; a couple swipes of each.  The color is semi-sheer, but totally buildable.  Also, just for fun, this is what my arm looked like after I tried to wipe the color off.

The stains had been on my arm for about 30 minutes.  As you can see, they do leave behind color.  In the case of Sweetheart, the one on the left, it leaves behind a lot of color.

wearing Darling

While in the packaging it looks pretty lilac, on my lips Darling looks like a pinky-violet.  I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but it turns out that I absolutely love it.

a recycled picture from last week, wearing Sweetheart

another recycled picture; this is Sweetheart after about four hours of wear, after it had settled down into a stain

Sweetheart is a bright, cool pink and the one I wear most often.  Very pigmented.  There's not much else to say about it.

EDITED TO ADD:
Well, this weekend I tried another one of these, Smitten, so I thought I would share that too even though it isn't included in my arm swatches.

Smitten is a really lovely, saturated berry.  This one shows up as very pigmented on my lips. I wore it with a couple of Urban Decay shadows (Sin on lid, Last Call in crease, Hustle in outer-v, Polyester Bride in inner corner), as well as my new cat-eye eyeliner routine, and the entire look ended up being almost too much for a random Saturday.  Well, almost.  I wore it all day anyway.  I'll keep this in mind for our next date night, though.
Also, can we please discuss for a second my new aviators?  I lost my pair, along with the pair I was wearing for years, in my April breakup, so I'd been looking for a new pair for several months.  Why'd I choose these?
They have little neon pink arms.  I'm in love with these sunglasses.  And they were only $14 at Francesca's.

Anyway, back to why these Revlon Balm Stains are great:
  • When they go on they're very moisturizing.  They just feel nice.
  • They smell AMAZING.  Like peppermint.  I love the scent.
  • The very pigmented shades, like Sweetheart, will DEFINITELY stain your lips.  I need makeup remover to get this off my mouth at the end of the day...and if something is billed as a stain, then it should stain your lips like that.  
  • They're just...pretty.  Trust me.
The downside:
  • While these do go on feeling very moisturizing, as the shiny wears off (which it does), and the stain is left behind, my lips end up feeling dry.  Not a big deal because then all I do is reapply the product.  But some people may not like that.
  • Eventually the little point will wear off making application less accurate.  Again, not a big deal.
  • For a drug store product these might be a little pricey.  I've seen them for as much as $10, but I ended up finding these BOGO 50% off at Walgreens, so they ended up being about $7 apiece (with Walgreens prices...c. $8.99).
To conclude, I certainly recommend these.  As someone who rarely goes without a product on her lips, I give these my endorsement.  They're easy to wear; you can put them on and forget about them.  And they're gorgeous.  I'm also on the lookout for Honey, the neutral.  It was gone at every drug store I checked.  But it needs to be a part of my makeup stash, so I'll continue my hunt.  

Have any of you tried these?  If so, how do you feel about them?  Are you in love with them too, or would you leave them at the store?

15 comments:

  1. I was so excited to find these Revlon balms, specifically Rendezvous, because it's my perfect, summer coral (i.e. it has enough orange in it to still look coral and not just pink on my very yellow skin). I wish I had found it sooner, since I must have wasted about $60 on all the other drug store lippies I tried looking for this color. I love lip stains as well, but I find that (1) they all look the same on me - like, no matter what color the tube is, when I put it on, it's bright pink, and (2) most of them are pink or berry shades, and I happen to be a warm/yellow toned person, so they're not the most flattering shades for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Rendezvous, but I think I want that one too. I do love coral. And also, most stains (until these) looked the same on me too, so I know what you mean. But these all look pretty different on me! Glad you like them.

      Delete
  2. I really wanted to pick up sweetheart after seeing this, but my Target didn't have it. I just purchased Smitten instead. So pretty and bright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure a Walgreens or CVS will have Sweetheart. It's definitely the one I would recommend.

      Delete
  3. I used to be so addicted to lipstick. The louder red or wine the better. I was very good and used the liner and reapplied often. Now I am stuck with two desk drawers of lipstick because now I do nail polish and chap stick. How weird is that? Although I do like this idea, I'm not sure I want my lip stained that color. But let us know how the makeout sessions go with it. Does it transfer to him? Or stay on you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also addicted to lipstick, and my lipstick drawer(s) are pretty frightening. I know this because I just packed them.

      And as for the "kissable" portion of the name, it holds true. If he kisses me the shiny balm part comes off, but the stain stays--AS LONG AS the product has been on my lips for about 30 minutes. In other words, it needs to have time to stain. His mouth remains color-free.

      Thanks for asking ;)

      Delete
  4. I love these! I am a little obsessed with the two I have. I like Cherish as a more subtle hit of color, but it doesn't leave much of a stain. Lovesick is a nice, bright fuchsia, and it leaves much more of a stain. I have a feeling that I will also end up getting Smitten and Sweetheart. I'm hoping they are different enough to justify having so many bright pinks. Also, love the aviators! They look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the look of Lovesick on Emma Stone. I'm sure it looks great on you, too! And thanks. Love these sunglasses.

      Delete
  5. You'll love Honey, I'm a fan of Romantic and Charm too! So addicted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm definitely on the lookout for it!

      Delete
  6. Canada doesnt have these! GRRRRRR. They have one that looks like a felt tip pen on one end and a balm on the other. Unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, those are the OLD Just Bitten Lipstains. I wouldn't recommend them. I have one and I wasn't a fan. Can you order these Revlons online?

      Delete
  7. I got smitten and romantic, and I love them both. I want to try sweetheart next.
    You're lucky because it's much cheaper in your country, in our country (Philippines) it's around $13!!! Way too overpriced! :(

    Please check my review,,,
    http://beautychroniclesofelgee.blogspot.com/

    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. While I like the lip stains, I absolutely adore that blue/turquoise necklace you're wearing in the 5th picture! Can you tell me where you found that?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all three shades, thanks for the review!

    ~Pauline @Kallony

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!