Friday, August 03, 2012

Baby's First Glitter Gradient (and Move #1 is Out of the Way!)

 I had some time the other day so I decided that I play with polish a little and do a glitter gradient.  It was my first one, even though I'd always wanted to try it.  It was super easy and I love the way it turned out.






The polishes I used were H&M Bella's Choice (is this a Twilight reference?  I have no idea.  Also I got this polish years ago from my friend Nathalie, so shout-out to her!  Thanks girl!) and OPI Gone Gonzo.  I used one of those little eyeshadow sponges that you get in most drug store palettes and that most of us probably throw away anyway.  Like I said, it was totally easy and I am in love with the effect it gives.  I did two coats of Bella's Choice, sponged the glitter about halfway down my nail, and then again about a third of the way down my nail.  Finished with top coat, and I was good to go.  

Well, I moved out of my apartment on Tuesday.  I spent several hours cleaning the place and getting it ready.  Right before someone from the landlord's office came to get my keys, I was doing a final check of everything.  I put my hand on top of the refrigerator and I found this.


I took it as a sign.  The innards of this long ago-digested fortune cookie were trying to tell me that everything is going to be okay.

Farewell, apartment #12 on Hampshire Road.  I'll miss you.



Here's me on the day that Ben and Joe moved all the furniture.  My mom insisted on documenting me.  I'm pretty sure that it's one of the only times I'd be caught dead in a t-shirt and jorts (it's just not my style).  That t-shirt, though, is one of my myriad of Caribou Coffee tees that I had to wear to work (yes, the fabled Coffee Inc. that I so often spoke of was Caribou Coffee).  All of them had little encouraging things written on the back like, "do more cannonballs" or "make time for silly."  This particular one says "do something that scares you," which was incredibly appropriate for the day's events.  I certainly am doing that, Caribou shirt.  I certainly am.


Anyway, now that I'm out of my apartment I feel pretty weird.  I've got nowhere to go that's "home."  All my stuff is at my parents' house.  My mom wants me with her and Ben wants me with him, and I feel like I'm being pulled in several different directions.  As usual, my solution to this problem is to run away.  When this posts I will be at my parents' lake house with Ben, enjoying the summer weekend.  My best friend from high school is coming over from Columbus to say goodbye.  I plan to sit in a floating chair and drink a lot of Yuengling and to have moments when I forget that this week with Ben and my parents can't last an eternity.  


The EXTREMELY BRIGHT SIDE is that I talked to my best friend Sam the other day, and she's coming to stay with me in Manhattan!  Pretty much as soon as I'm "on my own" there she's coming in for a week.  We already have museum trips planned (two art historians together for a week in NYC = major geek-out sessions) and I can't wait to see her.  The effect of this news is that I sort of feel like I'm taking a vacation in the city with Sam, not that I'm going to be there alone indefinitely.  But I will definitely soak in that happy vacation feeling.


Well, that's all for today.  What do you guys think of my little novice glitter gradient?  Do you like it as much as I do?

9 comments:

  1. I understand how you feel right now. My husband and I just moved out of our (craptastic) apartment. We moved in with my in-laws to save money while my husband is student teaching and cannot work as much as needed to pay bills. So we technically don't have a home right now. Just a room somewhere. And at this point, not sure what's going to be "home" in the future.

    I hope you won't feel too alone in NY for long! You do have us ^_^! Going along with your fortune cookie message: if your place is meant to be there, everything will fall into place. With time. Of course, at the beginning you're going to feel as ill-fitted and ill-equipped as a whale in a chicken coop.

    BTW, cute nails. I picked up the new Finger Paints Fall of Surprises and plan on doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't imagine living with my boyfriend's parents. Nor can I imagine my boyfriend and I living with mine. I feel for you. It must be hard not having your own place to go.

      I do feel ill-fitted. You have no idea.

      Delete
  2. Sometimes the universe hands us just what we need. That fortune was spot on.

    Think of the grand adventure you are about to take. The good and the bad, part of the ride young one.. part of the great ride of life!

    *I say young one because compared to you.. I iz an old fart LOL*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what I'm trying to do, how I'm trying to think of it. Thanks :)

      Delete
  3. Good Luck in the city! You won't be lonely for too long, there's way too many people of all types in NYC to not find a niche. And imagine all the new nail stores you'll find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pal tells me I need to hit up Duane Reade for polish.

      Delete
  4. I know that feeling of nowhere to call home-it's kind of a weird lost feeling. I wish you all the best in NYC and I know you will rock that town like no one else! I was shocked to see the jorts-it is so not you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, I know. I own two pairs, and I think I only wore them that one time all summer. But I wasn't going to wear a dress or skirt to move out of that place.

      Delete
  5. I love it. I think I am going to try it :) Hope all is well in NYC. I am here as well :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!