Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Essie Boxer Shorts

This is my favorite polish of the summer, hands-down.  (I don't have a digital camera anymore, so we're going to have to deal with iPhone photos for a while)



Actually, even though I picked up Boxer Shorts about a month ago, I'm pretty sure it's a fall polish.  It's an amazing periwinkle creme.  There's really not much more to say about it.  This is the third time I've worn it, though.  And that's saying something.  I've owned bottles of nail polish for years that I haven't worn three times.  The formula is good, and I did three coats here.  The green accent nail is Maybelline Color Show Tenacious Teal, which I showed you recently, here.  

As soon as I wore Boxer Shorts for the first time I knew I needed to take it with me to New York.  In fact, I nearly had a nervous breakdown when I couldn't find this one and OPI Just Spotted the Lizard while I was packing.  Ben found them, though, in a place where I had stupidly neglected to look.  So all is well and I have my Boxer Shorts.

Guys, Monday was a shitty day.  I essentially waited for about six hours to get my student ID (and get things squared away with the bursar, registrar, provost, library...), and then after I finally had it and was making my way back to the subway, I noticed they SPELLED MY NAME WRONG.  They Ronnie Gilmore-d my ID.  I was so upset.  Somehow this tiny thing pushed me over the edge and I was inconsolable all night.  I Skyped with my parents.  Didn't help.  I Skyped with Ben.  Didn't help.  Sam and I texted for hours.  Didn't help.  I fell asleep to America's Next Top Model on Hulu, and when I woke up I felt a little better.  In fact, I thought I needed a project to get me out of bed.  So I went to Target, got this, and assembled it:

It took me all morning to walk the half a mile to Target, shop, get a cab home (because the shelf is HEAVY), and put it together.  I even got a little lamp that matches my bedside lamp, and I framed a postcard of Madame X to decorate.  Somehow this made me feel better.  Now I have a place for my books.  And the little lamp gives my entry hallway a nice warm light that I think I will like come winter.    Really, this space was just begging for a bookcase.  

After I completed this MARVEL OF ENGINEERING I girded my loins and went back to the Graduate Center.  The following conversation ensued:
Me:  Hi, I was here yesterday and my name was spelled wrong on my ID.
Them:  Oh, that's an issue for the registrar.  Go talk to them.
*I look at the line for the registrar and have heart palpitations*  Me:  No, no.  My name is right on all of my university paperwork.  The person typing my name into the computer before my ID was printed just spelled it wrong.
Them:  Talk to the registrar.

Really??  I rebelled, bypassed the registrar line, and went straight to the ID people.  Who couldn't have been nicer.  They took a new picture and printed me a new card.  But you see, THIS IS EXACTLY THE ISSUE.  If I have a problem, everybody says it's some other department's fault.  I was bounced around from table to table on Monday for ages.  

But anyway, I have my non-Ronnie Gilmore ID and I built a bookshelf.  I also bought an industrial-sized box of Goldfish to calm my nerves (fun fact:  they are my favorite snacky food; I also rarely eat snacky foods).  I also bought my first bottle of nail polish at Duane Reade.  So that's pretty New York-y, right?

14 comments:

  1. Yay! Duane Reade! Have you made it to Ricky's yet? They were the only ones I could count on for the new OPI collections every season, plus they stock Butter London polishes (so does C.O. Bigelow on 6th Ave in the Village, but I like my polish browsing sans snotty makeup counter ladies all up in my business).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been to Ricky's, but now I will TOTALLY GO. There are some OPIs from that Germany collection I'm interested in.

      I like all of my browsing sans snotty anything, so I'm with you.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous polish! I love colors like that. I'm glad you got your ID dilemma sorted out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice color! Is it darker than CGs Secret Periwinkle? As for the "passing of the buck" at University, get used to it! The older I get, the more I see this phenomena in every corner of the world. No one wants to be responsible and it makes me want to grab their collars! Start practicing counting to 10, LOL...and sometimes 50. ;)
    -Kristin, from Canada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't have Secret Periwinkle (I know!), so I can't compare.

      I've been counting to 10 a lot lately.

      Delete
  4. Sounds about right for college - always sending you to different spots for something they could've done. i love the big ol' box of goldfish. mmm...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My gut reaction is always to give up in situations like that. I'm glad I didn't, or else I'd have been "Stehanie" for my New York academic career. No thank you.

      Delete
  5. Your photos are perf with your iPhone camera. I have not had Goldfish or Cheese-Its for years...now I need some. I think I stopped doing them when they were still fake cheese product in 'em! Congrats on assembling the shelf by your lonesome - I usually look for someone to do it for me! Love Boxer Shorts - and was not sure it would work on me...I get major challenges in the light blue dept - they are often too chalky on me...have to have a periwinkle in them, little white to work. This one and Pop Life (from Essie spring 2012) have been my favs in this color range for a whole long time. And yes, the hurry up, wait in line is what you do at school...it gets less over time however for most things. I should have had you scope the Target NOPI's to see if they had the blue one for me - it's goners at the 1 and only Target by me for 200 miles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been to my Target a few times in the past two weeks and haven't noticed any NOPIs that look new. But I'll look again.

      Delete
  6. Man, gotta love that university red tape. Congrats, though - sounds like you worked your way through the situation and got a bookshelf made to boot! A new polish is an excellent reward!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've rewarded myself with new polishes three times so far this week ;)

      Delete
  7. I have never been a fan of the goldfish snacky. But I do love some cheetos! I like how you rebelled and just went straight to the ID people since that was their issue and I'm glad they didn't give you problems!! And duane reade is very NY I'm told

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Goldfish addiction started as a child. I remember when they came out with "Flavor Blasted Goldfish" in the pizza flavor. God, it was all downhill from there.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!