Thursday, August 16, 2012

My First New York Adventures (photospam)

I bet you were wondering what happened to me, huh?  All of that bitching and moaning about moving, and I didn't even have the decency to keep up with you guys.  But I've been busy.  I thought I would show you what I've been doing.


walking through Times Square

seeing my new school

going to MoMA and seeing Wyeth's Christina's World (among other things, of course)

having drinks at Rockefeller Plaza with my mom and dad

drinking coffee on a morning walk

setting up my new studio apartment

trying to hold my dress down on a harbor cruise (and seeing the Brooklyn Bridge!!)

being a Rose DeWitt Bukator (Rose Dawson?) by the Statue of Liberty
going back to MoMA with Sam.  Loving every second of it.
being viewed through a Duchamp
doing a decorating project with Sam.  We saw this work at MoMA that was just white frames with black interiors hung close together like this, so we recreated it (white in black, because...that's what Target had).
seeing the American Wing at The Met.  You may remember this painting from this post.
seeing elephants at the natural history museum
finding the New York City Ladurée
delighting in my early-morning orange blossom macaron (wearing OPI Dazzled By Gold, last seen here)
having difficulty containing my excitement about my first visit to The Frick Collection
snapping pictures inside The Guggenheim (and getting severely reprimanded--but it was worth it)

The trip here was difficult.  Saying goodbye to Ben at the airport early last Thursday morning absolutely broke my heart.  I was overwhelmed when I got here.  We stayed in a hotel on Times Square, and the crowds really freaked me out.  When we got to Harlem I was still freaked out.  Weirdly, it was going to Target to get apartment stuff that cheered me up.  Targets look the same everywhere, and I felt a little better.  

Then, after being the best parents a girl could ask for and getting me settled, my mom and dad had to go home.  But I wasn't alone for long.  My best friend, Sam, and I met in Times Square and headed back to my place to start our week together.  So far we've done a lot.  We've gone to four art museums in three days (plus the natural history museum).  Our trip to The Met to see the new American Wing was absolutely mind-blowing for me.  The first gallery we really stopped in (number 771, I believe) was full of full-length portraits by Sargent, Whistler, Chase and Eakins.  I stood there and cried because I was so overwhelmed by them.  I kept wandering through the galleries and saying, "OH MY GOD" because these are things I never thought I would see.  When I saw Wyeth's Christina's World at MoMA I didn't want to leave it.  When I ran across Johns' Flag and Target with Plaster Casts I couldn't contain my excitement.  When Sam brought me to Pollock's Autumn Rhythm at The Met I had goosebumps.  At The Frick I walked into a room with four large Whistlers and I was just in awe.  Guys, I can't believe what I'm seeing.

My time with Sam is only half over.  Tomorrow we're headed to The Whitney.  Friday we do The Brooklyn Museum, and on Saturday we're heading to The Cloisters.  This is a big week for me.

But soon Sam will be gone and I'll be on my own, navigating the politics of graduate school again.  Missing my family.  Missing Ben.  I'm already trying to plan one trip back to Cleveland for the beginning of September to go to a wedding with him--and I'm desperate to feel his hand holding mine again.  I'm apprehensive about school, but for the first time in a long time all I'm wanting to do is live in this moment, trekking around the city with my best friend (and fellow art historian--never underestimate the bonding power of a shared interest).

Thanks for your continued support, everyone.  I'll be keeping you posted.

34 comments:

  1. I'm very excited for you. I understand how anxious you are and this is a giant life event. However, I think you'll do very well. You're pretty rad like that. Wishing you the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeeee! Look at you taking on NYC!

    You're going to be amazing there, don't doubt it for a second.

    And you'll be back in Cleveland before you know it =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look jankity when I come to the city, so the first thing I noticed about your pictures is that you look fabulous! :) The expressions on your face are exactly how I would feel if I got to visit the Food Network studios in Chelsea or get a drink in the Rainbow Room (TV nerd problems ...).

    I'm with you on the Target thing, that's how I felt when I was in Seattle. (My friend feels the same way about Starbucks ... she moved from WI to CA and now D.C.) I'm glad you were able to have your parents and your bff with you while you make that transition, the first days are always the scariest. Can't wait to see what you'll be off to next! (and which polishes you took with you)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I usually try to look at least halfway decent. I tried to look sort of fancy on my Frick day.

      Delete
  4. fantastic post! enjoy it, you're lucky to live in a city like that so keep your head up, you can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how some people wish they could read their favorite book or see their favorite movie again for the *first time*? That's how I feel about New York. I love it and it will always feel like home, but I would REALLY love to go back in time and relive my first year there, even in my shared apartment (with two complete strangers), in my TINY bedroom (8' x 7.5'), on my tiny salary.

    There's so much magic in that place. I know how hard it is to be away from the people you love, but I am BEGGING you to just soak in every bit of this experience. It will change you forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to soak it in, I promise! I just can't help but miss Cleveland.

      Your New York experience sounds like it was great. Why were you there?

      Delete
    2. I worked there after college for a few years and then stayed there to do my PhD at NYU, so pretty much all of my 20s were spent there. I've only just been gone a year. Miss it so much!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad to hear you're having an ok start! I thought your parents weren't going to be able to be there with you, so I'm sure that was a nice bonus! Sounds exciting going to the museums, I would love to! Hope it continues to get better for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did come with me. We had about two full days together before they had to go. And tomorrow they leave for vacation in Europe. Wah wah. But I'm glad they could come at all.

      Delete
  7. Glad to hear you're getting settled and sounding relatively happy about the whole thing. :) Good luck, and stay brave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the bravest I've ever had to be.

      Delete
  8. You're making me cry because I know that feeling! Your art and schoolwork will keep you company :) And new friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm always apprehensive about making friends. So I hope you're right.

      Delete
  9. I'm so glad that you're enjoying yourself and that you're cheered up! School will distract you and get your mind off of things for a while. Also, distance will really make you cherish every moment with your boyfriend. I find it adorable that you miss holding his hand. It's the little things, right? I hope you continue to cheer up! Just remember that for every reason to be sad, there's a dozen reasons to be happy. :]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I...miss doing everything with him.

      But honestly, your comment that for every reason to be sad there are a dozen reasons to be happy really made me smile.

      Delete
  10. thanks for sharing the photos - and certainly not spam photos in my book - I knew you could do this! You will continue to have NYC wow you - from the sublime to the mundane...and hopefully this is a beautiful fall this yr...my fav time in NYC bar none.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In any place that has a season-changing climate, fall is always my favorite. I'm sure it'll be stunning here.

      Delete
  11. What a Friday morning treat - to see your NYC photos! Thank you! I can't wait to go to NYC - I'm afraid I'll never leave once I go. Your feeling of not wanting to leave the painting and being so overwhelmed by seeing them - exactly how I felt in London at the galleries and especially my favorites, John William Waterhouse and Millais at the Tate! Keep on trucking - you rock!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never been to The Tate. Totally jealous. I'd love to see Ophelia.

      Delete
  12. Yay it looks like you've really gotten to see some really great things! It'll still be ok after your friend leaves-you'll meet new people at school and makes new friends. It'll all be worth it! Glad you are having a good time!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I _have_ been wondering how you were doing in New York. Your photos actually make me a little jealous. All the museums are amazing, and your apartment looks adorable. I'm looking forward to reading about your next adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am SO happy for you!! Despite the fact that I essentially only stalk you on the internetz, I feel like we're basically long lost friends, destined to bond forever about nail polish and ex-barista problems. I've been meaning to comment for some time now about how I know you're going to love NY, despite the fact that it is 100% big and scary and ridiculously fucking confusing. It's so cliche, but so true: nothing in life that's worth it is easy. I hope you fall in love with the city and your studies and can't wait to follow along in your adventures!

    PS: I have that same chevron-y pink hi-lo hem dress. twinsies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good dress--one of my summer essentials. God, I love Target.

      Delete
  15. Glad to see you are so excited and settling in!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!