Wednesday, August 29, 2012

OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster

I've already worn OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster, and I showed it to you almost exactly a year ago here.  But I had a problem with the polish I had originally picked to wear for both my first day of school and this post (more on that below), so I picked a color I knew I liked.



These photos are showing the polish as much redder than it actually is.  In reality, it's a more of a pinky-coral color.  The formula is a little thin, so I used three coats here.  It has a nice gold shimmer that you can see in both of my crappy iPhone photos.  I really love this color.

So, you may be wondering to yourself what the first polish I put on was and the polish that I wanted to wear on my first day of class.  It was Rescue Beauty Lounge Chinoise, a really lovely red.  I brought several RBLs with me to New York City because I thought...hey, if I'm going to bring only a few polishes, I should bring the best of the best.  Am I right?  So anyway, I thought what BETTER polish to wear for a day when I feel like I need confidence and such than RBL Chinoise.  So I pulled it out.  As I was doing my nails with that polish I was thinking to myself, why has it been so long since I last used a Rescue Beauty Lounge polish!?  This is amazing.  

The the next morning I woke up, after having done my nails at like 7pm the evening before and not using my hands for basically anything, to find that almost all of my nails had chipped at the tips.  Then I remembered that this was a problem that I had had with RBL Anne, Dead Calm, and Recycle.  And that's why I hadn't worn any Rescue Beauty Lounge polishes in a while.  

So the point of this story is to ask you guys...does this happen to you with Rescue Beauty Lounge polishes?  Applying them is a total dream.  The formulas are perfect on every single bottle I have.  But I don't buy nail polish for the experience of applying it.  I buy it so that when I look down at my hands I see flawless, chipless color.  And that's where this high-end brand doesn't deliver for me.  Is it because I'm not using the RBL base and topcoat?  Because I just can't afford that.  If the color isn't going to stay put with regular base and topcoat then...I'm so sad.  I paid a lot of money for a lot of little bottles (I have a lot of Rescue Beauty Lounge polishes) full of beautiful colors that just don't stay on my nails.

Any helpful advice here?  I'm at a loss.  

17 comments:

  1. That's so odd that RBLs are not staying on for you. Okay, here's what I do with RBLs (and just about every other brand I own):

    1 coat Instant Artificials (from Sally's, pink bottle)
    1 coat Gelous (green cap)
    2-3 coats of color
    1 coat SV

    I wore Chinoise from Thursday night to last night (Tues.) without any chips. Again, I don't know if it's your base coat or whatever, but I also bought the RBL top coat a while back and haven't touched it. Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GIRL. Props to you for doing all that prep for color. That does not happen over here. I do base coat, color, topcoat, DONE. Seriously. I go for ease of use. And Gelous takes FOREVER to set. I have it, but I don't use it often at all.

      In other words: if it's not easy, I'm not doing it. Maybe I'm too picky that way, but I don't think so. There are plenty of brands that last more than 24 hours on me with minimal prep work.

      Delete
  2. Sorry to hear RBLs don't work for you. They wear like iron on me! I use SH Hydrating Base Coat (wrapping tips), 2 coats of color (generally) and wrap the tips with the first coat, and top it off with Out the Door. SV tends to bubble and/or shrink on top of RBL polishes for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use an SH base, two coats color, SH top. And...yeah, none of the same results.

      Delete
  3. This is one of my favorite OPI's! As for RBL I've never had a chipping issue. I use Gelous as a base coat, 2 coats of RBL, another coat of Gelous after let the color dry a bit and the a coat of Seche. This works for me w/ any brand and I don't get shrinkage from the Seche!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gelous seems to be the key for most people. I've used it as a layer in between color and topcoat with really good results, so maybe I should give it a whirl again.

      Delete
  4. Awwww :(

    I've been using a Revlon base coat but Essie works just as well for me.

    But I wrap my tips with colour (except for the last coat) and then with SV as well, otherwise it's shrinkage city.

    I've found with RBL's, the shorter your free edge, the less chippage. Which I suppose it a total "well DUH". Maybe it's just because I'm constantly doing things with my hands? Idk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wrap my tips too and it didn't do any good....huh.

      Delete
  5. I use CND Stickey/Seche and my RBLs wear okay. It's not GREAT wear, though, which is why I only shell out for the truly unique colors, and don't rely on RBL for things like a red or navy creme. I know Chinoise and Dead Calm are gorgeous, but (to me) they're not $18 gorgeous...or, more specifically they're not $10 MORE gorgeous than an OPI, Essie, or China Glaze red or navy, of which there are plenty to choose from. I get a few days wear from RBL, which is okay for me, especially for colors like Anne or Piu Mosso.

    Re: shrinkage with Seche - I never wrap my tips (I don't think it prevents tip wear, it just makes the tip wear that much more obvious). I only have issues with shrinkage if my polish is too dry when I apply Seche, and they do recommend you apply it to still-tacky polish, so I don't really fault them for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree with you on the "$18 gorgeous" rule. I've learned my lesson since I bought most of my RBLs, and I haven't bought one since the Tudors collection.

      And I feel the same about Seche. If I use it, I put it on directly after my last coat of color.

      Delete
  6. I now own 41 RBLs and I dont have this problem at all. What I think is that some peoples nail chemistries just don't work with some brands. I have that problem with butter london. I don't use the fancy RBL base and top coat didn't like them when I tried them. I just use CND stickey and Seche with no problem. I was just going to say since you are in NYC, you should go check out the actual store and ask them what could be happening? I agree with Grace above, when I wrap my tips, it seems to make the tip wear more obvious! I do love that Chinoise and need to revisit it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 41? Geez. You know, sometimes I look at my stash and have heart palpitations when I calculate cost. Like, "okay, I have 100 bottles of OPI, and at circa $8 apiece..." etc. I...cannot imagine throwing down that kind of cash on Rescue Beauty Lounge. Or Chanel. Or any OTHER brand that costs over $10/bottle, which I now find ludicrous.

      BUT. If you love something, then more power to you. It just so happens that less expensive brands float my boat.

      That having been said, I would gladly shell out the money for, say, a Balenciaga bag. If I had the money.

      Delete
  7. This color is too pretty! You know, I'm not usually a fan of red nail polishes, but this one is such a nice color! And lobsters are totally my favorite sea creatures so... maybe that makes me a bit biased. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just want to say YAY to your photograph of this nail color! I bought it cuz I love the name but I anticipated more of a red color and was disappointed when it went on definitely ORANGE! WHAT?! So, I came online to see where I misunderstood what i was getting. Most color images are NOT true to this color. Yours is spot-on. I'll check with you first next time! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!