Friday, August 24, 2012

Prevail Hit the Pavement

I feel like the gray nail polish trend sort of peaked around 2008.  Before then it was difficult to find a true gray, and some girls were even mixing black and white polishes to achieve a perfect gray tone.  Then a bunch of companies came out with a myriad of gray shades, everybody bought them and wore them, and then the trend sort of fizzled out.  OR DID IT?  Ever since I got to New York I've been paying attention to what New York women are wearing on their nails.  And it's gray.  Here, gray polish seems to far outweigh other colors, even pinks and reds.  I was perplexed.  I didn't think gray was THAT MUCH of a thing anymore.  But, since I'm trying to fit in, I got myself into a Duane Reade and bought a gray Prevail nail polish.





Prevail is, I believe, a brand that's exclusive to Duane Reade.  All the names are New York-y.  This one is Hit the Pavement, but there are other cutesy ones like Central Park Sparkle, Diamond District, etc.  I guess I like this.  I dunno.  A few years ago I tried some grays and was kind of meh about them.  They don't wow me, generally.  This one is nice for the blue and silver shimmer it has, though.  I've had it on for a few days, and although I have AMPLE TIME ON MY HANDS I haven't removed it yet.  So maybe I'm subconsciously more fond of it than I think I am.  The formula was fine.  I used three coats to guard against any bald spots (the brush was a little stiff).  The dry time was normal.

There is a Duane Reade across the street from my school, so I've been eyeing the Prevail polishes when I go get my lunch.  I would definitely buy more of them.  I think they're good quality and there are some fun shades.  I am growing very fond of that drug store very quickly.  

In life news, I had my fellowship recipient and departmental orientation yesterday.  I was nervous about it all day because meeting new people is not really my forte.  I usually end up saying something stupid or nothing at all because I'm pretty shy.  But I said a minimum of stupid things and I wore my favorite origami-print dress from Anthropologie.  


Unfortunately the only photo I have of me in that dress is this one, which features my plate of half-eaten Mexican food, abandoned in favor of texting Ben (photo taken by my mom right after he and I met):


God, that picture is so The Essence of Me.  My hair doesn't know what it's doing, I'm wearing green nail polish (Sinful Colors Olympia, by the by), and I have my brown hair tie around my wrist and my phone glued to my hands.  Anyway, I usually reserve this silk dress for special occasions.  Exhibition openings.  Symposium chairings.  Mexican night.

I digress.  I feel a little better after the orientation(s).  I met a few people, and in the incoming class no one is in my field (this is a good thing).  I even managed to snag a spot in a seminar that meets at The Met, so I'm pretty excited.  I can't wait to start making a collage of all of my Met buttons.  Yeah, it'll happen.  I'm still lonely, but my friend from college is coming into the city with his boyfriend and I think we're all going to have lunch tomorrow.  I haven't seen him in...three years.  So that'll be nice.

Huh.  I really rambled in this post.  Okay, so answer me this:  who is still into gray polish?  Is it like an every-once-in-a-while kind of thing, or do you seek them out?  Who has a favorite gray?  (I don't)  And, more importantly, who has read Fifty Shades of Grey?  That book was like a car accident I couldn't look away from.

29 comments:

  1. Have you hit up a mega-Duane Reade yet? With the gigantic makeup selection? (Check out the one near 72nd and Broadway. Bonus - it's right by Trader Joe's.)

    I have the pinkish-lilac holo Prevail, and... I'm not even really a holo person, but I was impressed with it, especially for the price. I also have a light gray with what looked like little holo shimmer in the bottle (it might even be the one in your swatch - can't remember the name), but it didn't show up on the nail at all - just looked like a gray shimmer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mega-Duane Reade? Um, NO. But now I want to.

      I was LOOKING for that Prevail! But it doesn't seem to be in any of the displays anymore. Concrete Jungle, I believe it is.

      Delete
  2. Lovely grey! Fun to see that shot of you your mom took. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never into grey polish. It just doesn't suit my warm yellow skintone. I actually have so much yellow in my legs and feet that people have told me my legs look gold, so my toes can't handle the cool colors. Maybe you can do a layering mani? Add some glitter or do a gradient?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe! I don't think I like it enough to put the effort into dressing it up, though.

      Delete
  4. Basically, that Prevail polish is everything I wanted Color Club Wild Orchid to be! And now, I want it. Le sigh. But I'm still into gray polish. With a few exceptions, I've more or less figured out what shades look good on me and what doesn't.

    Glad you're feeling a little better about grad school. If that dress wouldn't make a girl feel better, I don't know what else would. Besides tacos, obviously.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been blogging for three years and I have no idea what'll look good on me. More power to you.

      Delete
  5. I read all 3 shades in less than a month-it was crazy good. I plan on reading them again after my mom (GULP) tries to read them Yes I warned her! I love grey IRL, but not sure I love it on my nails. I have several and it's not a color I reach for often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hated Fifty Shades of Grey for many, many reasons. Here's my advice to you if you liked them (and really, no judgement if you did; they just weren't for me): please, please, please, PLEASE go out and buy Story of O. It's...just so much better on about a million levels.

      Delete
  6. Ha ha, I think you gave the best description of Fifty Shades... I read them (pre-megahype aka before I heard all the warnings) in spite of getting more pissed off every chapter (hmm, who's the masochist now?), and dislike them more the more I think about them.
    HOWEVER, I love a grey polish. Then again, I love grey. My favourites would have to be China Glaze Pelican Grey, OPI Skull and Glossbones, and Barry M Grey.
    I hope you start to feel more at home in the big city soon. Whereabouts are your family vacationing (I live in the north of Scotland)?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline. They're in Edinburgh. My mother's best friend lives there for half the year. I don't recall whether or not my mother has ever gone to Scotland prior to this trip, but it's definitely my dad's first time. He seems happy. Anywhere with wide open spaces where he can ride a motorcycle is his cup of tea (read: he HATED New York City).

      Delete
  7. Grey? Of course - it's NYC pushing the it's still summer but we need to sport fall moves to winter shades and that would be gray in a major way. 'Member I said, give it a few months and you will only be able to see a sea of black when out on the streets? It's only a rare color block or maybe inside a club when you get a blast of color when in NYC come winter no matter what the barkers are saying is the 'in/now' shade. And nope - did not read but the free e-book part of 50 Shades of Gray...I rarely read what everyone else is talking up - but that's me...I am a major pig for non-fiction 90% of the time.

    I will be wearing gray polish this fall, but not the deep charcoal and not the chalky white grays...I'm going true med. gray - like ChG Elephant Walk gray shades...I have done the light grays and the dark ones to death - looking forward to a new mid range gray to sport. Right now it's still moving along with summer and since I live at the beach, won't be giving into fall shades for some time - still running the shorts. We always get blasted with 90+ degree days after Labor Day which is our hottest part of the summer typically. After that passes, I can think about some longer sleeve things, maybe a few more weeks of crops before it's 'big boy' pants time. Glad you are meeting peeps at school AND that no one is in your same field of study for PhD - agree 100% that is very good news.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You did say that about black and New York; I remember.

      I would hate 90 degree days AFTER Labor Day. Actually, I hate 90 degree days no matter when they are.

      Delete
  8. Love your dress, and love your hair in that photo (messy and all LOL). The book is collecting dust on my shelf - have not been able to get through the first chapter - quite plain and boring, in my opinion. As for the colour - comme ci comme ça, depends on the mood. I always treat it as a neutral. Glad you're finding fun places - polish will keep you sane ))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thanks. Yeah, I don't suggest you finish the book. Like I suggested to someone else, read Story of O. OR any Anne Rice erotic fiction (The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty series or East of Eden).

      Delete
  9. Hello from upstate ny! I love greys! just ordered the mini opi germany collection from amazon. It has 4 new fall colors...one of which is a grey called Nein! Nein! Nein! Ok fine! Cant wait for the package to get here!
    I read fifty shades! The first one kinda grossed me out a little....but i was pretty into it and read it fast. Im only 100 pages into the second one... but all the sex is kinda boring me. I dunno if anyone else feels that way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grossed you out, huh? I wonder why that is.

      The sex started to bore me in the first one. And if you're reading a book that's ABOUT sex and the sex starts to bore you, that means it's not a great story. Plus if I had to read, "Oh Ana, baby!" one more time I think I would have thrown the book across the room. So I won't be indulging in the other two. Also, Ana's internal monologues were the stupidest things ever.

      Delete
    2. You mean you don't like people blathering about their inner goddesses???

      Delete
  10. Totally agree with you about Fifty Shades of Gray! I especially hated the first book and couldn't actually read it (I skipped a lot of it and just read the ending, and proceeded to feel cheated out of a real ending). The next two were marginally better, but that's like saying eating fresh mud is better than eating two day old mud. Terrible. As for gray polish, I still love the trend! Couldn't get with taupe, but love gray, especially China Glaze's Pelican Gray. Super pretty.

    Glad you're feeling better about NY! I've been reading for awhile, and cheering you on, even if I haven't been commenting! It's been an inspiration hearing about your journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the ending of the first one was terrible.

      I guess I'm the opposite! Love taupe, but it's hard for me to get behind gray.

      And thank you so much for reading! It means a lot even if you don't comment (but I'm glad you did!).

      Delete
  11. I've never really liked grey nail polish.. It's not a big thing here I guess. I have a huge amount of polishes but only one grey (Rimmel - Grey Matter)and I almost never wear it.
    I hope you feel more at home in New York real soon!

    Oh, and btw, I just read in your 'about me' section that you've visited my country for a painting? How cool is that! Hope you saw more of the country than just Brussels. We have a few more very nice cities with great art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Aside from Brussels I've only been to Bruges, which I loved. I could only make a weekend trip, sadly. I was based in Paris at the time and I took a bus.

      Delete
  12. I discovered grey polish last year and I love it. It is also the most represented color in my stash and it doesn't matter if it's light or dark - I love them all ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. If you run in to Stacy London, tell her black nail polish is so 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL @ Sandi!
    Yes, I am into *A* grey polish. Sally Hansen's Grey by Grey. It's lovely, and slightly bluish. I do own a couple others, but the love just isn't there.
    Onto 50 Shades of Grey: My old boss told me about it as she read it (we laughed so hard at the fact that the main character's name is Anastasia). Something else I couldn't stop laughing about was that the dude gave the chick pain relievers after he spanked her with a belt. Really? Sign me up, ship me that book.
    Glad to know I'm not the only chick who wears a beautiful, delicate dress accompanied by a Goody hair band adorning the wrist. ;)

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!