Friday, September 21, 2012

Del Sol Beach Bum

I have a friend, Chelsea, who is interested in museum work like I am.  She too is in a graduate program in New York, but it's upstate, so nowhere near the city.  I liked her immediately when I met her, and she is one of my favorite people.  Also, she sends me presents (last year she sent a bunch of vintage-y costume jewelry, which I LOVED), like this Del Sol nail polish.

So, the gimmick with these, as I'm sure many of you know, is that the polish changes color when exposed to UV light (or, sunlight).  My fascination with mood rings and stuff that changes color hasn't really diminished as I've gotten older (I am a child of the '90s, what can I say?), so I was instantly into this.  The one she got for me is called Beach Bum.  Here's what it looks like indoors.


It actually looks eerily similar to Rescue Beauty Lounge Starfish Patrick, which is one of my favorite polishes of all time.  The Del Sol, however, is quite sheer.  I think this was either three or four coats.  While Sfish P eventually ends up way more opaque than this, I think this is about as far as Beach Bum will go in terms of color density.  You're always going to have visible nail line with this one.


And here it is in full sunlight.  It went from a light, beachy coral to a sort of plum-ish purple color.  And when I took this photo, I had only been outside in the sun for like 45 seconds, so the color transition happens pretty quickly.



Later in the day I was sitting in Central Park, watching people walk dogs and chase their children.  And yes, ladies, the orange tights have come out of hibernation.  It was overcast, so I took some pictures of how the polish looks when it's not quite in its full sunlight-purple-mode.  Kind of interesting.  The range of colors that Beach Bum offers kind of reminds me of a sunset.  But I like the way it looks best in the first photo.

My week is already over and I feel like it just started.  I only had one class this entire week, plus a viewing session of an object at The Met yesterday (which wasn't nearly equivalent to a class; it was me using a microscope on a piece of fabric and saying WHAT IS THIS? AND THIS? to the person who was helping me).  I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do this weekend.  I can't believe it's already here again.  I feel like I just survived last weekend; like I said, the days are so much easier when I'm busy.  But I do get to sleep in, which is good.  I kept waking up several hours before my alarm went off every day this week, and I wasn't able to go back to sleep.  Plus I still have pretty chronic insomnia.  And I think I might be getting a cold?  BASICALLY, I'm just trying to figure out how many things I can complain about in a SINGLE PARAGRAPH.  Answer:  several.

Okay, time for me to find some articles to read that'll maybe help me with upcoming papers and abstracts and such.  

Is it Monday yet?

15 comments:

  1. Whenever I see your posts on my blogger dashboard, they always make me smile. LOVING the orange tights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to have some of those colour changing polishes when I was younger. I love this one. I should totally get some more!

    http://initialed.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you can get these online. But they're sort of expensive at $10/apiece.

      Delete
  3. I have some old Del Sol polishes that I got when I was younger. They were awesome, I used them til the last drop haha glad to see they are still around. Also, still semi obsessing over your ring. It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I semi-obsess over it pretty much daily. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  4. WHHHAAATTT there is nail polish that changes with the light?! I've never heard of this! It's so neat, oh my goodness. I do enjoy those nailpolishes that shimmer in other colors, though, so I guess that's kind of like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it exists. Also "mood polish," which changes with your body temperature. You can find those at Claire's for pretty cheap :)

      Delete
  5. What a great nail polish. Lovely blog, visit my blog and let me know if you want to follow on bloglovin and GFC and I will follow back

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks.

      I've never been a follow-for-follow type of person. Follow me if you like, and thanks for visiting.

      Delete
  6. full of sunlight is gorgeous!! I hope you'll come check out our new online jewelry shop! Too Much Soul.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have been searching for the first one peach for ages, but still haven't found the perfect peach :)

    www.cocorrina.com
    Statement Necklace GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really would recommend Rescue Beauty Lounge Starfish Patrick to you. I'm sort of no longer an advocate of either that company or the price of the polish ($20/bottle), but if you're looking for the perfect peachy-coral, then you kind of can't go wrong with Starfish Patrick.

      Delete
  8. i loveeeee the nail polish colour <3

    thanks for ur comment on my blog,
    xoxo,
    Rebecca
    http://rebeccaclch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!