Monday, September 17, 2012

RBL Bikini Bottom: A Most Delicious Jelly Sammie

I haven't been having the best experiences with Rescue Beauty Lounge polishes lately, so I decided to use one of my three favorites, that never does me wrong, to help me regain my trust in the brand.  Bikini Bottom is...actually, I don't know why I love it so much.  I don't like blues, I don't like sheers, and I don't like Spongebob.  But it's definitely an HG jelly polish of mine, and I haven't lost my love of it in the few years I've owned it.
artificial light
natural light
macro that looks awkward but gives you an idea of what this looks like

My nails and cuticles got all stained from my foray into Vamp Land last week, so please forgive that.  This is one of a myriad of layering combinations I've done with RBL Bikini Bottom.  I did one coat BB, then one coat of another favorite, China Glaze White Cap (seen layered here, here, here, and here, and on its own here--see?  I love this one), and topped it with another coat of BB.  The resulting look is very light and ethereal, with just a tint of blue and a hint of sparkle.  I like this a lot.  

My only complaint about Bikini Bottom is that if you want it to be sort of opaque (four coats) it takes forever to dry.  Like, forever.  As in, last time I wore it opaque I went on a movie date with Sam like three hours later and it dented while I was shoving my hand into the popcorn bag--and yes, it can be argued that I have an unhealthy obsession with movie theatre popcorn, but this denting was just ridiculous.  So anyway, I usually try my best to layer it (also this conserves my precious bottle of BB, which is now about 25% gone *sob*) to get the feel of this light, beachy blue.  If you want to see some other things I've done with it:  "opaque" and over Essie Marshmallow, with Revlon Colada Fizz, with Revlon Whimsical, with OPI Gone Gonzo!.  This polish seriously never gets old for me, and I can always dream up new combinations for it, even with the limited repertoire I have here in New York.

Ugh, guys.  This is going to be a hard week for me, I think.  We have today off from school because it's Rosh Hashanah, so I had a three-day weekend and my Monday class is canceled.  My Thursday class is also canceled because my professor is out of town.  I always fare so much better, emotionally, when I'm busy, so having a lot of spare time on my hands is...sad.  I just sit alone and think about how I'd rather be back in Cleveland and Apple Valley with Ben and my family.  Yesterday I woke up to many Facebook posts from Ben and his friends on my NewsFeed because they'd all gone out together on Saturday night, and it really made me wish I'd been with them.  Sadly the two things I was looking forward to most this month got mashed into one week.  My trip to Cleveland, obviously, but also a couple days before I left I met up with ALU Michelle and Nancy from Beauty411, which I totally forgot to mention.  They were here for Fashion Week, and their hotel was a ten-minute walk from my school, so we had dinner and drinks.  And god, it was so wonderful to see a friendly face here.  I laughed through all of dinner because these ladies were so hilarious together, and I loved hearing their Fashion Week stories from years past. 

Anyway, I feel like I sort of have nothing to look forward to.  Even worse, I have a paper due the Sunday after Thanksgiving, so I'm worried it won't even be feasible to go home for the holiday.  I think I might try to schedule another trip home in October instead of having Ben come here.  Honestly, I think it does me good to get out of the city and to lay eyes on home, if only for a couple days.  I was griping to my mom a while back about how it's pathetic that I feel like I need to come home already, and she said, "Hey, come home once a month if you want to.  I think you should."  So maybe I'll do that.  I'm aching for kitty cuddles, holding Ben's hand, and seeing my mom and dad. 

Okay, enough of that.  I have no idea what I'm going to do on this extra day off, but it'll probably involve a soy latte and a book.

9 comments:

  1. This is so pretty!! BB is one of the few RBL's I don't own ;)

    I'm with you on Thanksgiving. B will be in Boston for a football game on the 26th, which means they have to fly out on the holiday itself :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm panicking about Thanksgiving already. Sigh.

      And everybody needs Bikini Bottom. Although I don't even know if it's available anymore. I don't keep up with that stuff. I used to!

      Delete
  2. I have had Bikini Bottom on my 'maybe' wishlist for so long, it's nice to see it in all the different ways you've used it! (Interesting to know that it won't dry though.) I would have never though to layer White Cap with it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would recommend it even with the drying issue. It's best as a layering polish anyway.

      Delete
  3. Love this. I really am fascinated with Bikini Bottom...but I haven't had the best luck with RBL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either. But Bikini Bottom, Starfish Patrick, and Grunge are staples of mine. I have to give her props for her jellies. They're perfect.

      Delete
  4. I like the idea of layering the sheers to get them more opaque - do you find that any of the speed dry top coats help when it comes to quadruple layers?
    Chic on the Cheap

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lyddie. Yeah, sometimes quick dry topcoats can help. Seche Vite usually does the trick. But I have had problems with this brand and this polish in particular in the drying department, even with something like Seche Vite or Insta-Dri. It's possible that it's my body chemistry, because RBL and I don't get along generally...but who knows!

      Delete
  5. Love these nail colors:)

    www.fussylife.com

    Would you like to follow each other via Bloglovin' let me know? Will add you back!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!