Wednesday, October 31, 2012

China Glaze Zombie Zest / NYC Halloween Postponed

Hey everyone.  Thanks for all the support and well wishes!  I wanted to let you all know that I am absolutely fine after superstorm Sandy.  All of the photographs of the devastation you've seen in New York City were taken on the south end of the island, down by The Battery, Brooklyn and Queens.  I'm way, way uptown in Harlem, between the Hudson and the East Rivers, so everything was okay up here.  On Monday we had some rain and very, very strong wind, but nothing like the flooding that downtown experienced.  My neighborhood looks pretty much the same as it always has, except some extra debris, leaves, and a blown down awning at the fish market.  More on my experience below, after the polish pictures.  I thought I would do a tiny Halloween celebration of my own wherein I ate really, really unhealthy amounts of candy corn and used China Glaze Zombie Zest.


glowy

in the light of the 6 subway; come back to me, New York transit!

This is one coat of Zombie Zest over two coats of NYC Black Lace Creme.  So I've worn this polish three ways:  this one, as a gradient with OPI Stranger Tides, and on its own.  It's pretty versatile.  I liked how this looked and wore it until it chipped.  It was a great manicure to have on while I watched the new Walking Dead I had missed on Monday.  By myself.  In an almost blacked-out city.  Weeeeee.

So, about the storm.  I never lost power or anything like that.  We did have one interesting experience, though.  I guess something happened with the elevator in our building causing the fire alarm to go off around 6pm Monday evening.  We all thought we were being evacuated for potential flooding or something, so we all ran down the stairs and gathered in front of the building in the rain and wind.  The FDNY came.  The firefighters looked pretty irate because nothing was actually wrong, just a malfunction.  The whole incident shook me up (literally; I couldn't stop shaking for about 20 minutes because the sound of the ear-piercing alarm scared the shit out of me.  I hardly had time to put on my bra before I ran down the stairs--yes, I was still bra-less at 6pm) because I thought we'd have to evacuate the building and leave.  But, all was well.  I was back inside watching SVU and reading about Benozzo Gozzoli by 6:30.

Here are some firefighters looking irritated while they try to straighten out the problem with the elevator at the front office.
And here is one of two trucks that showed up, taken after I had snuck safely back inside.  I was not about to get windblown if I didn't have to.

So, I'm fine.  And although I'm sure Halloween festivities have been postponed for the little ones here in New York City, rest assured I had my own celebration that nearly put me into a sugar coma.  I'm not sure when the subways will be back up and running.  I've been off school for three days straight now, so I guess it's just a wait-and-see kind of thing.  The time off has allowed me to watch a million episodes of Frasier and also finally start a paper for one of my classes.  Sadly [for me] I actually had a bridal appointment at J. Crew tomorrow in Union Square.  But I'm pretty sure that that area was hit really hard by flooding.  The phone was disconnected when I tried to call.  And even if it was up and running [it's not], I wouldn't be able to get myself there.  Oh well.  I will try on wedding dresses another day.  

I hope that any east coasters and New Yorkers reading this are okay, too.  And Clevelanders, for that matter.  My parents on the west side lost power, and I heard that a lot of places on the east side didn't fare too well either, including where Ben lives.  And Lake Erie spilled over onto I-90?? Crazy.

Stay dry, everyone!

8 comments:

  1. Yes, Lake Erie spilled over I-90 and that was closed. West side did get hit pretty hard and it's all spotty the way people got affected. For instance, I lost power for 20 hours here on the east side and had a roof leak but our neighbors across the street were fine. I just can't wait for the rain to stop...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God that's so bananas. I kind of would have liked to have seen our little lake going berserk.

      Ben was telling me that it rained for like seven days straight. Depressing to the max.

      Delete
  2. I have friends on the west side of Cleveland and they're STILL without power! I'm glad you came through okay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cleveland got it way worse than the upper east side of NYC, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. So glad you are okay. It's horrifying to see what's gone down in parts of New York, like Staten Island and the New Jersey Shore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. The horror is sort of magnified when I realize that those people were four miles away from me and I am absolutely fine. I wish there was more I could do or something. It's scary.

      Delete
  4. OK I'm sorry but when I'm home I'm always bra-less. Is that bad?????

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!