Monday, October 29, 2012

Essie Play Date, Boxer Shorts, and My Very First Hurricane

Aaaaand my adventure in New York continues.  I have no idea if I'll have internet in the coming days because of Hurricane SANDY (insert John Travolta voice here [Sam]), so I thought I would post now.  The other day I got back my first actual written assignment (a technical analysis on a textile--not exactly my area of expertise) and I was relieved to see that I got an A-.  So, of course, I rewarded myself with a polish, Essie Play Date.  But I also wanted to wear Essie Boxer Shorts.  So I did.




Please excuse the dry and stained cuticles.  H&M Deep Deep Sea was a little stain-y.  Anyway, I love Play Date (middle and pinky).  It reminds me of another favorite, Essie Splash of Grenadine, but it is way more purple while SoG is decidedly pink-leaning.  Play Date is just a happy, bright purple with fuchsia tones to it.  I've posted on Boxer Shorts before (pointer and middle), and rest assured that it has become one of my very favorite polishes.  I find it to be a very soothing color.

Being a Midwesterner I've really only had to deal with outrageous snow (I used to live in the "snow belt") and funnel cloud touch-downs.  Now I live on the east coast, and I have to deal with hurricanes.  At first I thought it wasn't going to be that big a deal.  Now I know that this is likely untrue.  The subways shut down at 7 last night, so I'm all alone-y on my own-y in Harlem, waiting out the storm.  My school cancelled classes today since no one could feasibly do the commute.  I was supposed to have a midterm today in one of my classes, so I'm pretty irritated that we're not going to take the test.  Yeah, I'm that kid.  C'mon, I memorized like 80 slides of 19th century photographs that basically all look the same.  I'm ready to take this test.  But I guess it'll wait another week.

On Saturday morning I made a beeline to Target to get some supplies.  Unfortunately so did the rest of the island.  But I did manage to get a huge case of water, many batteries, and this.


A little battery powered lantern.  Now I can read JSTOR articles (like the one you see in the background) like a little camper.  I probably won't need this, though.  My building has a generator, so even if we do lose power it'll be okay.  As long as my phone is charged and I have water I'm not too worried.  Plus I got some food essentials yesterday.


Like candy corn.  Okay, don't worry.  I got some canned food too.  And cereal.  So I'm set just in case something bad does happen.  I won't lie, though.  I'm pretty freaked out that the subways are shut down and that I can't move around the island.  I'm pretty sure they closed the bridges too, so no one can get on or off.  Just like in The Dark Knight Rises, as I told Ben.  I really hope Joseph Gordon Levitt doesn't try to save a busload of children.

Alright, I'm outta here.  To my fellow east-coasters, stay dry, stay warm, stay inside.  And buy some candy corn.

By the way, if anyone is having trouble viewing my blog, please e-mail me and let me know.  My traffic is down and a couple people informed me that they're getting malware warnings.  I deleted and rebuilt my blogroll in case that was the problem, but I'm not sure.  Thanks ladies.

22 comments:

  1. I've been among the few getting malware warnings, so let me see if I can provide you with any helpful information. I'm using Google Chrome, and it alerts me that your site has content from theedgeofsanity.org, which is known to distribute malware. I know you would never infect us, so I proceed anyway but maybe this will help you!

    As for the hurricane, I'm just a few miles away from you in Northeast Jersey, so I'm all hunkered down too! Good luck! Also, in regards to your mani - I love it! I have both colors and never thought of pairing them. They look lovely together though. I'm wearing Essie Butler Please which is gorgeous. It's the sort of blue I hoped Mesmerized would be but wasn't. Formula's a little strange and it has a rubbery finish, but it's beeyoootifull :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks. Okay, I deleted that blog from my blogroll and I also reported my own URL to blogger for malware. We'll see what happens.

      I saw that new Essie collection at Rite-Aid and wanted to check it out. I still haven't seen swatches!

      Delete
  2. I'm using chrome and am not getting any malware warnings. Hope you get that figured out.

    I live in the DC area. i've been through a few hurricanes. They're not so bad. You just have to deal with losing power for a few days. We have above ground power lines in my neighborhood (and no generator) so we usually lose power. Our power company is pretty good through so it doesn't last long. I've heard some people in MD have been without power for WEEKS because pepco is so terrible. Hopefully it's better in NY! stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's for that update on the malware.

      Losing power. Ugh. I think I'm paranoid about that because I just really...want access to my phone and family. If I haven't got my phone, then I feel totally alone. I have an auxiliary battery charging now, so I hope everything works out.

      Delete
  3. Congrats on the great grade!
    Both of these polishes are so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not getting any malware warnings either. Take care and be safe. Sounds like you've got all the basics covered :-) I'm in your snow belt now and I can't wait for all that lake effect snow!! (assume heavy sarcasm) If you've got power and want yet another blog to follow, wanna check mine out? If you can't get the link by clicking on my username, let me know and I'll post it or send it or something. I just started it a few weeks ago and would love some feedback!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll check out your blog, thanks for sharing it.

      Lake effect snow. How I will miss thee.

      Delete
  5. No malware warnings for me either.

    I am in DC and so far it's steady rain with winds picking up just a little. And FYI -my condo building has a generator too, but it only powers hall lights and the electronic entry system, so your lantern will still come in handy. :) What floor are you on? If above the 5th or so, fill up a tub (if you have one) and sinks, bottles with extra water. If power is out pressure to upper floors for water will be low or nonexistent.

    Stay safe and congrats on the good grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My super was telling us that the generator is good for "servicing the entire building including lights and cooking," so we'll see. I'm on the 5th floor. I don't have a drain plug thing (long story), so I probably can't fill up the bathtub, but I'll do what I can with the sinks.

      Thanks for the advice :)

      Delete
  6. Oh goodness! Be safe! I'm in Cleveland (good ole Lakewood) and the lake effect + a kinda dumpy car always makes for crazy winters! But that sounds more fun than Sandy right now! Ps. I went to the Caribou you worked at one time and I looked for you like a crazy nail blogger stalker. Embarrassing but true.) Anyway- congrats on your grade and don't get washed away! -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I hate driving in snow. My little car was always okay in it, but I still hated it. I didn't work at either of the ones in Lakewood...which one did you stop into?

      Thanks for reading!

      Delete
    2. The one not far from the American Apparel on the east side- I just happened to be shopping over there at Avalon on Coventry and figured it could be the one where you worked!

      Delete
    3. Haha, yeah, that would make sense. But I worked at a west side one. That's why I pretty much had to quit when I moved to the east side!

      I love Avalon. I have so many things from there.

      Delete
  7. Reading you loud and clear! I have never received a malware warning. Be safe - it's nasty out there (here in DC, anyway). I AM armed with the candy corn though - and those little pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear about the malware warnings. Thanks! I'm staying inside.

      Delete
  8. Also using Chrome (on a Mac), and no malware warnings here either. :) LOVE Play Date; I pick it up every time I'm anywhere it is, but I've never gotten it...I need to! Please stay safe during this crazy storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great, thank you. Play Date is AWESOME. I'm so in love with it and I'm not even that much a fan of purple!

      Delete
  9. Hope you've made it through the storm OK - sounds pretty nasty! I sure would love Joseph Gordon Levitt to save me!! *SIGH* Good job on your assignment and hope your test goes well, whenever it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm okay. I'll update on the blog tomorrow. And yeah, it would be pretty awesome for JGL to come save everyone... ;)

      Delete
  10. When I first moved to Virginia in 1996-there was a HUGE hurricane that hit virginia like sandy did new york. I was all alone, knew no one and it was scary as all get out! They still freak me out to this day-it's the wind that gets me-I hate that sound. Hope NYC is up and running again sooN! PS I am not getting the malware warning I've been getting. Hopefully it's fixed.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!