Thursday, November 08, 2012

Shimmer Polish Carol (Also, the Post in Which I'm in Wedding Dresses)

Can you guys not look at my cuticles like ever?  Because they're bad.  And I fear that no amount of Lemony Flutter is going to save them this winter.  Anyway, a bit ago Cindy of Shimmer Polish contacted me to see if I'd like to receive some of her polishes to show you guys.  I said an enthusiastic yes, but I wasn't sure how long they'd take to get here in the post-Sandy NYC distress.  Turns out, not long.  So here's Carol.  Oh, also, I'm still using my iPhone for pictures.  Long story.  So, sorry for the photo quality.  I'm a pretty terrible blogger right now.





I used two coats of Carol over $OPI Chamomile-ion to One (which I really don't like, by the way, so I was glad to cover it up with something pretty).  The glitter in Carol is copper, gold, blue, and silver holographic.  I like the differing sizes of glitter, and this seems to be a trope that runs throughout every Shimmer polish I received.  I'm excited to keep trying them.  The formula was nice, and one coat would have been fine for a pretty dense covering, but I wanted to see what it would look like with two.  Verdict:  awesome.   I've actually gotten more into glitter lately because I like sponging gradients, so I'm happy to have all of these new polishes to experiment with.  

If you want to check out Carol for yourself, visit the Shimmer Polish Etsy store, check out the Facebook page, or have a look at the blog.  They run at $12/bottle, but for $15 you can get a custom glitter.  Which is a neat concept.  Cindy is on vacation right now (jealous), which gives you some time to look at her blog for some swatches and to figure out what's on your wishlist.  And stay tuned to my blog, because I'll be putting more up.

So.  On Wednesday morning, after a frenzied night watching the NPR ticker on my computer and waiting for election results to come in (hint:  I slept soundly), I got up and dragged my butt to J.Crew on 5th Avenue.  I had an appointment with Patrick (and I cannot recommend him enough, so if you're in the market and the NYC area, book him; for real).  It was my first time trying on wedding dresses, so I wasn't sure what to expect.  Would my butt fit into the samples?  (yes)  Would there be annoying other brides there?  (yes)  Would a nor'easter blow in as I was walking to the store, causing me to step in a million puddles in three-inch wedges and have wet hair?  (yes; seriously, New York cannot catch a break, weather-wise)  Anyway, I found one dress I love--L-O-V-E--and one dress I really like.  I won't post the full-length photos because I don't want to let any felines out of any sacks.  But here are a couple pictures.



I don't know why I don't want to post full-length photos.  I already sent all of them to Ben, and he's the one who isn't supposed to see any of the dresses.  But, I've only tried on like six dresses at one store, and one of them is already the one to beat.  I was sort of worried that the appointment would end up being stressful, but Patrick put me at ease in a lot of different ways.  When I told him about some of the family issues that have been coming up during the course of planning he made me feel better.  And he kept telling me my butt didn't look big.  So, I'd say the entire venture was a successful one.  I'll have to go back with my mom before I decide on which dress, and that will probably happen in January or February.  But, I'm excited.  I love frilly dresses.  There is also an Anthropologie next to this particular J.Crew.  It is a win on so many levels.

Okay, that's all.  Keep warm, New Yorkers.  This weather sucks.

Disclosure:  the polish in this post was provided to me for review.  The opinions expressed are my own.


14 comments:

  1. I just got into NYC last night from Northeast Ohio, and I joked to my friend that I somehow brought the snow with me, oops! I'm going to have to bookmark that etsy shop, for sure, and those dresses look amazing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, bookmark it. A lot of the glitters are super amazing, and this one in particular is unique!

      Delete
  2. My NY friends have been posting snowy pictures, so that made me wonder how you and other NY-based bloggers are carrying on! Hope your wedges are OK.

    Also I'm in love with that second dress. I see you are pretty committed to your navy/black scheme. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually mostly melted today. Enough that I'm back to heels. Which is good, because I literally have no winter-appropriate shoes.

      Yes, second dress is good. And yes, committed to black now. Not navy. Everybody looks thin in black! And as a bridesmaid, you can always re-wear a little black dress! Especially from J.Crew ;)

      Delete
  3. You will be beautiful no matter which dress you pick lovely girl! : )

    I am glad to see you smiling: )

    Sending warm and pleasant weather wishes your way, Stay dry and warm if you can! Very glad to see you are alright after Sandy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. The snow is better today. The first snow of the year is always weird; I hadn't really seen it since last February.

      Delete
  4. Your cuticles are fine! I've seen much worse! You're not supposed to show Ben the dress you're gonna wear! It's bad luck!!!! But I do like the first one better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually we've talked about it quite a few times, and we decided that that's a silly superstition. His opinion is just as important as mine. So I'm involving him in the process. Of course, I'll end up actually picking it, but I like having his approval on things.

      I think he might end up going on a few shopping trips. Not sure yet.

      Delete
  5. OMG. Dead.
    You look aaaaaaamazing in both (but I like the second one the best). I have my heart set on a few J.Crew darlings too =)

    Love the polish!

    Also pretty jeal of your snow. It's just super cold here (and smells like Christmas outside).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oo, which ones? Actually, I'll just send you an e-mail :)

      Delete
  6. Hehe, my husband went with me to pick out my dress (and my mom too). No bad luck here, but we were married at the courthouse in jeans...one day we'll do a wedding. I'm loving how the first one looks with your shoulders, but the second one has a lovely texture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, Elizabeth, the more I think about planning this wedding the more I would like to go to the courthouse. Except I'm not a jeans gal. But anyway, Ben seems really to have his heart set on a wedding, but he has said that if I'm too stressed out we can forego it. I don't think that'll happen, though...

      Delete
  7. YAY I'm so happy you finally got to try on dresses! I'm a nerd and peruse the wedding section of J Crew all the time and if that second dress is the one I think it is, I've loved it from afar for so long now. Glad to hear you're surviving the weather too!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!