Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sinful Colors Winter Wonder

I am so behind on like, nail polish community stuff.  Last I remembered, Sinful Colors had perpetrated some awful shenanigans against a few bloggers, stealing photos, etc.  But, apparently that has all been dealt with?  I have no idea.  I'm sadly too busy to keep up with these things.  WHAT I'M SAYING IS that I felt okay buying this Sinful Colors polish because evidently they have apologized.  Probably forever ago.


I guess Winter Wonder is a dupe for Zoya FeiFei and a near dupe for OPI On Her Majesty's Secret Service.  There are abundant comparisons.  I have neither of those polishes, so I can't do one.  But I do have this one, which I got for $2 at Rite-Aid.  Like Zoya FeiFei and OPI OHMSS, this polish is sort of hard to describe.  Sort of a smoky, charcoal-colored base with pink, gold, green, blue, silver shimmer.  I would say that you definitely have to see it in person.  I did two coats here, and the formula was good.  I really like this one.  I'm glad I found it.  It was hiding on a bottom shelf with the rest of the Holiday Shimmers display.  For shame, Rite-Aid.  For shame.

Well, tomorrow is Thanksgiving, so that's exciting or something.  I do like the holiday.  I always look forward to mashed potatoes and my mom's stuffing, which is THE BEST.  EVER.  Also, there's pie.  In honor of the holiday, I pulled out my now-traditional and VERY CONTROVERSIAL Navajo Pendleton sweater.  You may remember from last year my lamentations about how no one loved my sweater.  My then-boyfriend told me it was hideous and suggested I throw it away.  My best friend told me it looked like a crappy blanket from the back of a pick-up truck.  But I love it.  And dammit, I will wear it.
Maybe I should tell you some stuff I'm thankful for in the spirit of National Pie-Eating Day.  I'm thankful for:
1.  My supportive parents
2.  The guy who for some reason has agreed to spend the rest of his life with me, despite my type A neuroses and constant bouts of worry.
3.  This blog and all of you.  What would I do without all of your encouragement?
4.  Pie.  WHAT?  It's GOOD.

So, I'll leave you with this delightful Hyperbole and a Half cartoon to illustrate why you should love pie more than cake, and really more than most other things.
Happy Thanksgiving Eve, guys.

16 comments:

  1. Awww, I love your sweater! And that polish on you =)

    Pie is my favourite part of Thanksgiving. And all holidays, really. And potatoes. Always potatoes.

    Have a good Thanksgiving, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, you too. And god, yes. Potatoes.

      Delete
  2. I love that sweater! I have this polish and it has a little more blue in it than I see in your pics. It really is pretty. That pic is too funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, my iPhone camera sometimes isn't good at picking up all the colors of glitter. Sad.

      Delete
  3. When you said "controversial," I thought you meant in the sense that you were calling something you bought at Forever 21 a Navajo-print. The Navajo nation has made their stance on the issue clear and taken legal action to stop Forever 21 and Urban outfitters from marketing their goods as such. Anyway, most people use "Najavo" as a catch-all when they mean "Pendleton." Here's a good read on the history of how one company shaped the perception of what Native American print looked like:

    http://www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/why-the-native-fashion-trend-is-pissing-off-real-native-americans/

    And a similar slide show:

    http://www.slate.com/slideshows/arts/the-strange-history-of-the-indian-blanket.html#slide_1

    It's a fascinating collision of history, fashion, cultural appropriation and art. Well worth a read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just for you I'm amending the post to Pendleton. Yes, I do remember that Forever21 got in trouble for that. I don't even know how I feel about it. I'm taking a class about 19th century American photography and the trajectory of the American west, and I've learned more about Native Americans than I ever have. So I guess this is sort of an interesting issue.

      But no, this sweater is CONTROVERSIAL for so many other reasons.

      Delete
  4. Does Ben like your sweater????
    Happy Thanksgiving!!! And one can never have too much pie :)))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked him if he liked it and he said, "I don't know. It's...a sweater?" So I'm going to take that as a resounding YES.

      Delete
  5. I hate nail blogs. However, you win the distinction of being the only nail blog I love.

    There is just something so Chloe Sevigny about you, as well. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! That's so sweet! And I get the Chloe Sevigny thing a lot. Today I got my bangs cut pretty short, and when I came home Ben said, "Now you look even MORE like Chloe Sevigny." So, I guess I've gotten that twice today.

      Delete
  6. I love your your blog. I started following you when I got obsessed with nail polish a few years ago, but now you're one of the few polish I still follow. It is just the right mix of polish and personality.

    Now I must track down winter wonder!

    ReplyDelete
  7. My opinion, requested or not, wear the sweater if it makes you happy. Personally, I love it, and think it looks very becoming on you. So there.

    And the polish. I thought I had every SC there is, but I haven't seem this. Is it a new one, or a repromote, do you know? Anyway, it's gorgeous, and it's in my price range. I must hunt it down. If I have to hit every darn Walgreens in central Florida, probably spending more $$ in gas than the polish is worth!

    Enjoy the sweater AND the polish :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl. You read my sweater-mind.

      This one is new. It's part of the holiday set, Holiday Shimmers. I found this one at Rite-Aid, but keep an eye out at Walgreens and the usual SC haunts. I think there are some repromotes in the collection a couple new ones.

      Good luck!

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you swatched Sinful Colors. It's about time the bloggers start doing it again! I love this brand!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They did a shitty thing. But if they apologized and the apology has been accepted, then I'm cool with them. All the complaining posts have been deleted, so I assume everything is okay.

      I love this brand too.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!