Friday, December 28, 2012

Clean and Fresh

The other day, on the second day of my mom's sickness, I was sitting around and desperately wanting to change my nail polish.  But I was wearing glitter and she only had non-acetone remover.  Luckily I ended up having to go up to the store anyway for sick person soup and a myriad of cleaning products. While I was there I got remover that could take off my glitter more easily, and I was good to go.  After holiday colors and holiday glitters I decided that I really needed a palate cleanser. 




Here we have OPI Barre My Soul topped with OPI Pirouette My Whistle.  For a sheer jelly, the formula on Barre My Soul was pretty good.  But as you can see, particularly at my pinky, I had pooling at my cuticles.  But honestly, you can't tell in real life.  These pictures were taken on day three of this manicure, and aside from the fact that I didn't do any clean-up, I think this is holding up really well.  Anyway,  Barre My Soul is a sheer sort of nude/beige color.  I love it.  I used three coats.  Then I couldn't leave well enough alone and felt like I needed some glitter, so enter Pirouette My Whistle, which is small silver glitter with pearly/white hex glitter.  I did one coat of that.  I'm pretty much absolutely obsessed with how this looks.  

I don't have any other polishes from this collection, but now I'm pretty sure that I need Don't Touch My Tutu.  Are there any other polishes from this collection that you feel like were must-haves?  I also did this combination on my toes, and I love it.  I think that maybe I could wear this for my wedding (whenever that'll be) and walk a fine line between traditional and...y'know, GLITTAH.  

Here's a picture of our backyard after the "blizzard" we got on Wednesday.



TAME.  The weather people were making a big stink about this blizzard on Christmas, and then on the 26th they downgraded it to a winter storm.  We only got about 6 inches.  Of course I didn't think it was so tame when I was driving to the store in it for soup and such, but I made it.

Also, I haven't gotten sick yet!  I was a crazy person and confined my mom to her room and Lysoled everything she touched or even breathed near.  Fingers crossed!  Yesterday I went to see Les Mis with my pal Amber, so that was fun.  On Saturday or Sunday I'm going to join Ben in Columbus so we can celebrate New Year's together.  Looking forward to it.

Okay, that's all.  How did you guys feel about the OPI NYC Ballet polishes?  Last March when these came out I was too focused on my comps/PhD programs/graduating to even think much about them, but now I feel like I want them ALL.

27 comments:

  1. That's def a cute combination! Love it!

    I seriously envy you US-Americans. Here in Germany we had green Christmas and it just didn't feel right :( I want snow, darnit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am always enamored of snow in November and December, and by the time the New Year is over, I'm over the snow. Don't be too jealous :)

      Delete
  2. I love this combination! Like you said, it walks that line between subtle/traditional and glitter. I saw Les Mis yesterday too and loved it! I hope you have a great New Year celebration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The film was my first experience with Les Mis and I'm still sort of churning it over in my mind. The acting was incredible, but I wanted the music to be...prettier? Less full of snot and tears? I get that it's a story about being destitute and all of that, but c'mon.

      It made me want to buy the original Broadway soundtrack.

      Delete
  3. I bought 3 of the NYC Ballets - 2 sheers and Pirouette my Whistle - then about 3 days later went back and picked up all the shades. I had not been sooooo obcessed with nude sheers since late 1990's ..early 2000's when I was like many others, wearing Fr. and Am. manis almost exclusively. I tend to reach for Don't Touch my Tutu, Calling me a Lyer and Barre My Soul the most - at first I was wearing the gray one a lot - I might have to pull that one out again here soon - it' lonely. OPI certainly improved the sheer formula from some of the old Bridals I had in sheers from late 90s early 2000s. I combo up Pirouette My Whistle with Nubar's White Polka Dot a lot of the time - more is better sometimes I find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, these are some really, really nice sheers. I'm going to need to pick up a few more.

      Delete
  4. This would be an awesome wedding mani.

    I really wish I would have jumped on pirouette my whistle now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you can find it online somewhere!

      Delete
  5. When the promo for this collection first came out I was so meh about it; I've never been a big fan of any Soft Shades collection. Then I saw it in person and thought they weren't so bad, so I picked up Barre My Soul because who doesn't need another nude? It officially became my perfect all time nude, trumping Coney Island Cotton Candy which I swore by for YEARS. I ended up also getting My Pointe Exactly and Care to Danse?. MPE is the coolest polish ever, I don't own anything like it and that's super rare. It's really buildable which I like, it looks great at 1, 2 or 3 coats. I don't know if it's because I had such low expectations for this collection, but it totally surprised me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went back to the store today and held My Pointe Exactly in my hands trying to decide whether or not to buy it. I went up there for Don't Touch My Tutu! and then couldn't find that one. In the end I left empty-handed, but I suspect I'll just end up buying them all.

      Delete
  6. I didn't think I liked sheers until this collection! I ended up with three-Care to Danse, Don't Touch my Tutu, and My Pointe Exactly (the main one I was obsessed with), plus Pirouette My Whistle (and a backup, because it's like the best most delicate and beautiful glitter EVER). And I agree-this would be a beautiful wedding mani! As would Don't Touch my Tutu and Pirouette My Whistle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm undecided on My Pointe Exactly. I'm wondering if I'd really wear a sheer gray that much. But the other two look great. Leeeeemmmming.

      Delete
  7. love your glittah! I absolutely love "don't touch my tutu" bc it's the perfect white w/out being opaque. I bought barre my soul & it's now my favorite lite pink neutral ever. I was surprised at how great my pointe exactly was - it's such a pretty sheer, it's not too much. and I love care to danse? too! they're so great as sheers, it's a nice collection!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ahhhh, Barre My Soul and the rest of this collection was SO GOOD. I wore BMS to an interview last month and didn't want to take it off! Definitely one of my Top 10 (or whatevs) of 2012.

    I grew up on the "Les Mis" recordings, but only saw a touring production when I was in prime target demographic #1 (high school). IT WAS AMAZE. Haven't seen the movie but I feel like it's gonna drum up the dramz because Oscar season, yo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *were SO GOOD. They WERE

      Damn it I need tacos

      Delete
    2. Haha. I like that you corrected your subject-verb agreement. Very fastidious of you. And yeah, I've been wearing BMS for four or five days now, and it still looks pretty pristine.

      Let me know when you see Les Mis!

      Delete
  9. Stephanie, you inspired me to dig out my bottle of Barre My Soul and I paired it with OPI's Servin' Up Sparkle. The glitter gives BMS a little festive New Years sparkle! I also have My Pointe Exactly. I am hispanic so the sheer blue/gray looks good on my tan skin! I enjoyed the Les Mis movie, Anne Hathaway should win an award for her rendition of "I Dreamed a Dream." Ahh-ma-ZING! Have a Happy New Year Stephanie! I am catching up on your older posts. Its a gray, lazy, raining Saturday here in Southern California.
    Cheers!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz! I'm glad I could inspired you to show a sheer some love. You have a happy New Year, too!

      Delete
  10. I never got around to purchasing any of these and it makes me feel like doing the Charlie Brown walk. I will for sure have to buy a few. I love love love love this combo.

    Les Mis. ALL THE AWARDS. I was fortunate enough to see it on Broadway and have been smitten with the soundtrack ever since. So good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. I keep thinking of George Michael in Arrested Development and his CB walk.

      Anne Hathaway needs to win something for sure. She broke my heart.

      Delete
  11. I'm pretty sure I'm in love and super jealous of that combo.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We got a foot in New York upstate in the adirondacks the day after Christmas on top of the foot already on the ground. Maybe you've seen the pics on my blog? I just love snow- etc the driving in it part! I am not a glitter fan BUT I did buy this pirouette and I really like it. Nice delicate not a bomb. I think this would be a great combination to get married in.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow!!! I super love this mani for it looks so pretty. I love pinks that is why it caught my attention. Great job on this one. Love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!