Wednesday, December 12, 2012

DRAMA DAY

Here follows a tale of how my body failed me in a most ridiculous and 19th century gentlewomanly way.

On Monday morning I woke up and felt pretty normal.  I'd had trouble sleeping the night before, but that was nothing new.  I went through my morning routine of caffeine, makeup, hair-pinning, straightening, etc.  I got dressed.  I wore a black skirt with a skinny yellow belt (pilfered from one of my Jason Wu for Target dresses).  I packed up my stuff for my class at 2.  I would be way early to school, but I was planning on eating lunch and memorizing slides before class started.  I walked down to the subway.  As I was standing on the platform I started to notice that I was feeling a little funny.  The train came, and I got on and sat down.  As it turned out, that car smelled like bleach--an overpowering smell--which made me queasy.  I switched cars at the next stop.  When I got into the next car I felt like I had to sit down right away.  I couldn't bear to stand.  So I found a spot and squeezed in between a couple people. I thought if I loosened my belt (which was not even tight as it was) I might feel better.  I settled in for the ride.

When I walked up the two flights of steps to street level after getting off of the train I knew something was wrong.  I took my belt off to see if that would help, but I had a nagging tight feeling sort of below my chest but above my stomach--where I imagine my diaphragm is?--and I couldn't shake the feeling.  I started walking to school.  After a block and a half my breaths became smaller and smaller because of this constricting feeling I had.  About half a block from school my vision started to blur at the edges.  I stumbled to the door just as I started to literally see stars.  There is a big security desk in the entrance hall, and when I got to the desk apparently I just slumped over on it.  Yes, I fainted.  

After only a few seconds I opened my eyes and asked the astonished security guard something like, "Please, I need to see a nurse."  The guy didn't know I was a student; I obviously hadn't presented an ID upon entering the building.  So he assumed I was just a person who wandered in off of 5th Avenue, fainted on his desk, and then asked for a doctor.  He called over two other cops in uniform, and they took me up to the nurse.  Who wasn't there.  Of course.  It was at that point that someone said, "Are you a student?"  Yes.  "Let me see your ID.  What department?"  Art history.  And they start writing down my symptoms for what I assume is some sort of incident report.  I made it to a lounge with a couch.  In a supine position things were better.  They brought me some orange juice and I drank that.  The lady cop told me that if I didn't feel better in 15 minutes they were calling 911.  I perked up REAL GOOD after that.  I had already gone down like a sack of potatoes in front of like 40 people so I really didn't want EMTs fussing over me.  I felt a little better after the juice.  I felt it wise to perhaps skip class that day.  These cops would not let me out of their sight.  I'm sure it was a liability thing.  I went down to the art history department to tell my professor that I needed to leave, and they followed me, within arm's length, to catch me if I fell.  You guys, so embarrassing.  Of course my professor was like, yes, go home!  So I did.  I took a cab because the cops thought I shouldn't take the subway again.  When I got home I ate a chicken sandwich and got in bed.  By around 4pm I was fine.

So what happened?

I don't know.  I guess forgetting to eat breakfast may have had something to do with it, but I only eat something in the morning about 50% of the time anyway.  The security people gently said to me, "Is it final exams?"  To which I replied, "no, of course not."  I was perplexed.  I am not stressed out.  Until I really thought about it.  On Sunday night I had had sort of a blow-out with my mom that left me upset and unable to sleep (resolved now), I live hundreds of miles from my finace and family, Ben had a terrible week at work, and when he feels stressed, I feel stressed; we found out his grandmother is very, very sick, and he is so distraught.  I keep stressing that I haven't been able to plan even one little thing pertaining to our wedding.  Add finals and a general lack of sleep to all of that and apparently it ends in:
But seriously, I've been under ungodly amounts of stress before and my body has never just full-on revolted.  I guess there's a first time for everything.  I feel fine now.  I'm just worried it'll happen again.  I got a multivitamin in case it was some weird deficiency.  I am drinking a ton of water and cutting way back on the caffeine.  And I stocked up on granola bars for breakfast.  I'll probably go see my family doctor when I go home.

To keep it pertinent, here's some glitter.

One coat of Shimmer Polish Carmen over Rescue Beauty Lounge Santa Fe.  I wore this last week and really liked it.  Carmen is a bronze and gold glitter with holo bits thrown in as well.  Very fun.  Perfect, smooth application.  I feel like it was made to be worn with Santa Fe.  If you're looking for STOCKING STUFFERS check out Shimmer Polish here.

Alright, that's it.  If you read all that you deserve a medal.  I'm taking it easy for the rest of the week, just studying at home and stuff.  And just to repeat, I feel fine now.

Over 'n out.

Disclosure:  the polish in this post was provided to me for review.  The opinions expressed are my own.

29 comments:

  1. Passing out is the WORST. I'm glad you're okay though!

    My freshman year, I fainted in the middle of the hallway in one of the buildings on campus and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. It was all so ridiculous.

    And then this summer, I fainted at Target. Twice. My top 2 indicators are rapid heartbeat & ringing ears. Ugh.

    I feel your plight, it's SO EMBARRASSING!

    Just be sure to eat and drink water(which even I'm terrible about remembering)! I've found that Luna bars are excellent for this sort of thing. Nuts & bananas are super easy to carry with you too.

    And that polish combo is gorjusss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, fainting in Target?! That sounds awful :(

      Delete
  2. I'm hypoglycemic and when my blood sugar drops, I have the same experience. It's no fun. Make sure to keep some snacks with you if you don't have time for a proper breakfast.

    I have a hard time eating breakfast so I make smoothies with Greek yogurt, orange juice and coconut milk. Good quickie breakfast.

    Glad you were okay though. Take good care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually I eat granola bars but I guess I just forgot that day. No excuse.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you were running on E? I hope you are alright!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm okay. And I'm nomming the hell out of dark chocolate now, so hopefully I won't be running on E for much longer.

      Delete
  4. Aww I'm glad you're feeling better. Make sure you stay hydrated and keep a snacks with you - you might be hypoglycemic!

    It's funny how stress manifests itself isn't it? I do the same thing. I never think I am stressed until all of a sudden, I think about it and I'm overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have accepted my stress. Before I guess I was in stress-denial. I felt okay! But apparently I wasn't okay.

      Delete
  5. GIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIRL. Glad you're okay, that you survived (although perhaps without some of your dignity intact) and that you're planning on going to the doctor, but now I'm wondering if you're hypoglycemic??? I am, a little bit. I've never fainted but I've come close ... last week, I got it into my head that barbecue sauce smelled like Sharpies, got very dizzy, and had to lie down on the floor.

    ANYWAY. I find that trail mix is a really great pick-me-up that's easy to take along with you (I prefer yogurt but it's not so easy to transport). Cut back on the caffeine and take it as easy as you can. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. Maybe I should have my blood tested. I guess I'll carry a little bag of almonds around with me from now on, just in case. EMERGENCY ALMONDS.

      Delete
  6. So glad you are OK!

    Does your blood pressure tend to be low? I have low-end normal blood pressure, and fainted on the subway while heading to work. It was the morning after I had given blood, and I had not eaten or drunk a thing yet. My then-fiance was with me and caught me before I hit the ground, and once I came to a lovely woman offered me her zucchini muffin. I had similar symptoms--weird pressure, fuzzy vision, and building nausea.

    Take care, and go to a doctor if it happens again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my blood pressure is usually normal, but I might go have it checked anyway. Fainting ON the subway sounds like a nightmare. I'm glad you were okay and someone caught you!

      Delete
  7. I like this combo. I'm officially calling it the "Fainting Glitter Manicure".

    Oh, and do take care of yourself. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, I'll cut to the first thing that came to mind, and please, please forgive me for being so personal: could you be pregnant? The same thing happened to both me and my sister-in-law.

    I didn't mean to pry, so you can just ignore this comment. I do wish you the best of health and no more fainting spells. Take care and feel better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah, it's okay. Someone else suggested this too, so I'll get personal right back: I'm actually on my period right now. I've taken two EPT tests in the past two weeks or so (I was paranoid) and they were both negative. So no, I don't think I could be pregnant.

      Delete
    2. Hello there! First-time commenter & long-time follower here. I love your blog! Maybe you fainted because of your period? Sorry to be so literal but the blood loss plus lack of food plus excess stress may have just caused your system to be overwhelmed. Glad you're feeling better!!

      Delete
    3. My best friend suggested that also, and the school nurse gave me a call to make sure I was okay. The first she asked me was whether I was on my period. So I think there's a general consensus that that probably had something to do with it.

      Thanks :)

      Delete
  9. Those random spells of feeling near fainting have hit me to, usually from a combination of things. Like everyone else says, make sure you keep fed and hydrated. And, if it happens again, see a doctor for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, definitely a combination of things.

      Delete
  10. Oh man. This doesn't sound at all fun, but it kind of made for a great story, so...SUCCESS! And the idea of "emergency almonds" cracks me up. I never fainted, but once or twice when really stressed in college, I got terrible migraines and horrible nausea. I was told to take more B6 vitamins, and they seemed to keep me in check. No idea if it would work for you, but it sounds like you're taking care of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I actually overdosed on B vitamins. I'd had one of those Rockstar energy drink things, and they work by pumping you full of vitamin B and caffeine, etc.

      I'll just switch to a multivitamin.

      Delete
    2. WAH, I learned something new today! I've never had any energy drinks, so now I know!

      Delete
    3. Yep, it's true. I didn't know how they worked either until Ben told me. And then I read the "supplement facts," and yep. 200% of your daily value of vitamin B.

      Delete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear this happened, but glad you're feeling better. I fainted for the first time in my life just last month--stress can have a lot to do with it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Stephanie, OHEMGEE! Girl, you have to eat breakfast. I've been eating Cliff bars (the Coconut Chocolate ones are amazing, but there are so many flavors) and a banana. I guess it's pretty good, because I do not feel hungry for a while, plus I'm getting protein, carbs, vitamins, and a fruit serving. And you can eat this on the go--no prep! As for the stress, I can't really recommend special food combos. Just remind yourself to look at the small, pinhead sized light at the end of the tunnel. One day, it will be the size of a door you will stroll through like a boss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have granola bars to eat for breakfast, I swear! I just forgot, legit.

      Delete
  13. I was so going to ask about a pregnancy test-the only thing I can think of is dehydration and hypoglycemia. I'm a nurse and if you don't have other issues that you know of, that's prob what happened. I would definitely still see your PCP to run some routine bloodwork just to be sure. GLad you're ok!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!