Monday, December 31, 2012

Farewell, 2012

You guys, a lot of stuff happened for me in 2012.  I remember so well what I was doing last New Year's Eve.  I was sitting around in my apartment in Cleveland--by myself--all day, hoping that the guy I was dating would call and want to spend time with me.  At the end of 2011 I was unhappy for a lot of reasons.  I wasn't in a great relationship, I didn't know what I would be doing for a PhD program the coming autumn, I knew I had to move but I didn't know where, and I was feeling generally burnt out from my worst semester to date.  But in 2012, big things changed and some fun things happened.


I got up obscenely early in February to go to the Jason Wu for Target release with my best friend.  We both scored big, and I love that memory.
I spent as much time as possible at my parents' lake house.  This picture was taken at my grandma's 89th birthday party.  I can't wait for her 90th.
I graduated with my MA.
 
My mom threw us a graduation party during which we all wore fake mustaches and drank margaritas.
I met Ben.  I knew the first time I laid eyes on him that we had something special.  And I was right.  Maybe it was because his pick-up line was, "you had me at Major League."
I watched sunsets over Lake Erie.
I ate popsicles, played in the sun, and swam in Apple Valley Lake.
I celebrated both of my parents' birthdays with them in June (I didn't notice until now that we all wore blue!).
I visited the Christmas Story house with friends.  Here I am using the decoder on the toilet.  I don't know why, but after that I wanted some Ovaltine real bad.
I moved to New York to start my PhD.  I am reluctantly getting used to it.
I cried in front of countless works of art I thought I'd never see in real life.
Ben asked me to marry him.  I said yes.

We went apple picking.
I discovered the joy of sock puppets when my best friend's mom sent me one to cheer me up.  She also sends cookies and other pick-me-ups!

During the month of December I finished my first semester of a doctoral program, avoided catching the stomach flu, had Christmas Eve with my family, my first Christmas with Ben, spent Christmas Day with my grandma, and went wedding dress shopping with my best friend from high school, Aimee, in Columbus while Ben is here for work.  Oh, and PS, I FOUND MY WEDDING DRESS.  Or at least I'm 95% sure.  I can tell it's most likely my dress because I didn't want Ben to see it.  And as soon as my consultant had it on me and was lacing it up I got all flustered and kept saying, "I love it!"  I came out in it and my friend was speechless.  I can't wait for my mom to see it next weekend!  

Tonight Ben and I will either usher in the New Year with Aimee and her boyfriend, Mike, or we'll stay at our hotel and drink champagne in our pajamas.  Either way, I'm looking forward to it.  And you know what, 2013?  Bring it.  If I can handle a move to Manhattan alone, Hurricane Sandy, and passing out on 5th Avenue, then I'm pretty sure I can handle anything (but I never said I'd do it gracefully).

Happy New Year, everyone!  Thanks for reading this blog in 2012 and for all of your constant support and encouragement.  

18 comments:

  1. Great wrap up post! Happy New Year from Canada! - Kristin :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww that was so sweet! Loved your post. Such a great recap! Funny how so many things can change in one year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year from a Cleveland reader! I loved your post :) I've been amazed too when I reflect on the past year--2012 was incredible, but intense. May 2013 bring lots and lots of happiness to us all to make it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Stephanie,

    I wish you a happy New Year from Croatia. May all your wishes come true. I really enjoy your blog for quite a while now. Thank you for wonderful pictures and great spirit;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so sweet! Thank you for reading!

      Delete
  5. What a great post! Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy New Year Miss Stephanie! See you got through your first semester of your doctoral program, yay!! Step by step, class by class, semester by semester, you will do it girl! I am enjoying my winter break from school as well. I celebrated New Years with my hubby as my teenage daughter entertained her friends in front of the firepit in our backyard. It was a perfect celebration. Now I am getting ready to do my first manicure for 2013! Have a great New Year and looking forward to your posts about cool nail polishes and your life's journey!
    Love and support from the Left Coast!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound like a great celebration! Low key nights are my favorite ones.

      Delete
  7. Stephanie, you are a joy! A graceful (despite the fainting spell on 5th), confident, accomplished and charming young woman.

    I enjoy reading your posts and wish you, your family, and Ben a happy and healthy new year!

    And happy wedding planning (oy very!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks so much. That's so sweet of you.

      Delete
  8. Happy New year to you!!!! My goal is to meet a man worthy of me! Cross your fingers!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New Year lady!!

    Your parents are SO adorable <3 (as are you and Ben, obvs)

    I love reading your blog and can't wait to see what 2013 brings =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they ARE pretty cute. You're sweet.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!