Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Sugar Cookie Nails

Sorry I disappeared a little bit.  When finals ended I had one day to Christmas shop in New York, clean my apartment of a semester of clutter and now-not needed papers, pack my bags, and get the hell out of the city.  Unfortunately the day I flew out, December 21st, was the day that winter storm Draco pounded the midwest.  Out of all the flights Cleveland-bound from LaGuardia, mine was literally the only one that wasn't canceled.  It was delayed, though, and that day I spent seven hours at the airport.  I spent every second of those seven hours fretting that my flight would be canceled.  But in the end, it was okay, even though the turbulence was so bad during the landing that people all around me were puking.  BUT I'm home now.  Right before I left New York I decided to give myself these sugar cookie nails, and I really enjoyed them.



For this I used two coats of Essie Marshmallow (which I find so difficult to work with and unbearably slow to dry), two coats of China Glaze Party Hearty, and another coat of Marshmallow.  I love the way it turned out, and I was delighted by how subtle yet festive my nails looked for my last final and my subsequent binge-watching of the first season of American Horror Story.  

On Christmas morning my mom woke up and felt not good.  She thought she might power through, but in the end she was vomiting all day and couldn't get out of bed.  She caught some sort of stomach bug, and now I think I'll get it, too.  I was bringing her ginger ale and water and ice chips and jello, so I kept breathing in her air and stuff.  I'm just waiting to start puking myself.  With my mom out of commission, that left me to make banana french toast and bacon for my dad, grandma and fiance.  I rushed Ben out of the house after breakfast so that he didn't get sick, because he has a work thing where he'll be out of town for seven days and neither one of us wanted him to miss a day with work.  With my mom incapacitated and Ben out of the house, my grandma, dad and I sat around doing nothing.  It was actually pretty nice.  We watched Brave, which I think is such a cute movie.  Not an ideal Christmas, but it was okay.  Ben and I both wanted our first Christmas together to be amazing and perfect, but clearly it wasn't meant to be.  Here's hoping that New Year's Eve can be something special (although he'll probably be working until 10:30 or 11pm; we can't catch a break).

A few pictures from my few days at home so far.
at the airport finally waiting to board the plane
Ben with everyone's favorite Christmas decoration at his place.  Did I ever tell you guys the story about how I'm pretty sure he and I are banned from the Christmas Story house in Tremont, OH? The movie was filmed in Cleveland and we visited the house this past June--maybe that's for another day.  But here's a picture from that day anyway (so strange to look at it now and remember how hot it was when we went):
Okay, back to current events.
We went to Melt Bar and Grilled, and their special was "Mommy's Little Piggy Melt," which is of course Christmas Story-themed.  The actor that played Randy in the movie was stopping by every Melt location that day to sign autographs.  We didn't stay for that because I wasn't willing to wait.  Also, that sandwich was $17 (I didn't get one).  Oh, and my [Christmas] nails here are China Glaze Phat Santa layered with one coat of Shimmer Polish Eva.
I had a few Christmas Ales.  If you're from the Cleveland area you know this is a big deal beer here.  Comes out in October, and people obsess over it until January or so.  Right after Halloween my Facebook Newsfeed was full of my Cleveland friends posting about Christmas Ale, and I couldn't wait to sit down and have one.
Here's my best kitty friend, Alley, who was totally zonked out on Christmas Eve.  She didn't move from this position for several hours and I was (and continue to be) jealous of her cat life.

Mmkay, that's all for now.  For the next day or so I'll be lying low, trying to determine whether or not I'm going to catch my mom's stomach bug.  After that I'll be meeting Ben in Columbus for New Year's.  I hope everyone had a good holiday--if you celebrate that sort of thing--and if not, I hope you had a good Tuesday.

Until later!

19 comments:

  1. They are adorable! Hopefully you don't get sick ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww bb. Your Christmas sounds lots like mine! Fiancé's working and now I'm trying not to get sick :\

    BUT, I loooove your nails! Also, what did you think of the Christmas Ale? We get Great Lakes Brewing Co. here and I'm curious to try it =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. GL Christmas Ale is different every year, which makes it fun. I love it every year in all its incarnations. I like to go to Great Lakes Brewery when they tap the kegs, but alas, not this year. The best part about it is that it has an extremely high alcohol content. So many winter hookup stories in Cleveland start with, "Well, we had a few Christmas Ales and..." I only need two and then I'm good.

      Conclusion: pretty much my favorite beer.

      Delete
    2. Ooooh, that's really cool!!

      hahahahahha, we have a beer at our local brewery that has the same story (it's like 8% LOL)

      Delete
    3. Yeah, I think Christmas Ale is like 8 or 8.5. Kind of diabolical if you have more than two. Or in my case, two.

      Delete
  3. Belated Merry Christmas to you! Hope your mom is better and that you dodge the illness bullet. Sounds like you made the best of it. Your sugar cookie nails are adorable!

    I am obsessed with AHS! Isn't it awesome???

    ~Karli

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And yes, I really enjoyed the first season of American Horror Story. I actually legit found it scary.

      Delete
  4. LOVEEE your sugar cookie nails!! I might have to try that combination. Although actually I don't have Essie Marshmallow. I wonder if I have anything similar. Hm.

    Hope your mom feels better! And that you don't get sick! I'm still trying to fight off whatever my roommate had. No fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Any sheer-ish polish would do, I'm sure.

      Ack, being sick is the worst. And I still haven't gotten sick this winter yet. I'm just worried about it.

      Delete
  5. Hope you didn't get sick and your mom is doing better! Watched plenty of ralphie for Christmas on the 24 hour fiesta. Glad you got home to see Ben.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I watched A Christmas Story like three full times, I think. Good tradition.

      Delete
  6. I feel the same about Essie Marshmallow! But it's one of those polishes that is must-have

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. It is a must-have. But so annoying.

      Delete
  7. That is such a cute nail look - now that Christmas is over, I keep seeing all of these amazing ones to try! Pinning it for next year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could do the same thing with a different color glitter if you're not into red and green after Christmas!

      Delete
  8. Love the nails! Love the color combos and the look of it. It's so cute. Great job!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!