Monday, January 07, 2013

Wedding Dress [Rejects]

Hey all.  Yet again I have no nails to show you.  Really, this doesn't bode well for my blogging in 2013.  Things are pretty hectic over here now.  My grandmother had surgery on...I don't even know what day it was.  I guess Wednesday, when I last posted.  I've been at the hospital every day for a couple hours with her.  Mostly she's in a pretty bad mood.  Plus she's in pain, so it's hard to see her like that.  I'm unclear on when she's getting out and what happens after that, but I know that my parents are stressed about it.  Particularly my dad (it's his mom).  Anyway, it's a tough situation and I'm...upset.  But, I thought that it might be fun to post some of the wedding dresses I tried on but didn't love love.  Through all of this I've been thinking about wedding dresses because I've had one in particular on my mind.  I kept trying dresses on trying to best that one, and it never happened.  Without further ado:

I liked this one because--need I say it?--it has pockets.  Actually, a bunch of dresses I tried on had pockets.  I also liked the sweetheart neckline, the beading at the waist, and how small it made my waist look.  But I hated that big bow it had in the back.  I was told I could get it sans bow, but I felt I shouldn't have to totally alter a dress I love.  Next.

Some sample sizes fit me, some didn't.  Apparently this one had trouble zipping all the way, but I loved how it looked on me.  It did all the right things for my curves, and it was my favorite one that I tried on that day.  That's my friend Aimee in the mirror taking pictures of me.  She made things fun instead of stressful.  I tend to stress unnecessarily.

This one was also a bit tight, but I liked the interesting neckline.  I was also really liking all the lace that I tried on that day.

Okay, this one I really loved.  I added it to a "favorites" list at this place my mom and I went to, Catan Fashions in Strongsville, Ohio.  By the way, the girl who helped me there was named Olena and she was wonderful.  If you're in the area and looking for wedding dresses, bridesmaids gowns, or formalwear, give her a call.  She was great.  Anyway, I loved how romantic this dress felt.  It has layers and layers of tulle in the skirt, with different things on each layer--lace applique or sequins.  I liked the neckline, but I thought it was a little too boob-revealing.  Also I didn't like the spaghetti straps much.

I loved this one, too.  It's the J.Crew Miranda Flower gown.  I really loved the simplicity of this dress.  First, it's cotton, so it's light.  The silhouette was beautiful, and I loved the pleating at the bust.  It comes with a white sash, but I opted to try it with a black one.  

My mom took this picture of the gowns in our dressing room at Catan and I thought it was kind of cute.

Last Monday Aimee and I went to a little place by her apartment in Columbus.  When we walked in they sort of just let us pick out the things that I wanted to try on.  I saw one dress hanging there that I recognized.  I bought one bridal magazine when Hurricane Sandy hit New York, and I tore out the page that had that gown on it.  When my consultant put it on me I knew it was it.  It was fate!  Aimee loved it (which is important to me), and after trying on like five or six other dresses I put the first one back on.  This past Saturday my mom and I went to the same store so she could see me in the same dress.  I never imagined how it would be when my mom saw me in the dress that would be my wedding dress, but she reacted in a satisfying way--although she didn't cry.  But she told me she loved it and it was beautiful, etc.  Which made me feel so nice!  And then after about an hour of standing around in the dress, trying on different accessories, we finally said yes to the dress.  No, really.  My consultant said, "so...are you saying yes to the dress?!"  Now I don't even have to go to Kleinfeld.  I feel like I've ALREADY BEEN THERE.  

You can't see the dress.  Nor will I describe it other than to tell you that it's a dress.  My mom actually said, "DON'T BLOG THE DRESS" on our ride home from the store.  She knows me so well.  So, that's one big thing that I can check off my list.  Uh, I don't actually have a list.  I should probably make a list and then check this off.  Truthfully, this wedding has been A HUGE SOURCE OF STRESS for me because I haven't been able to do anything from New York.  Not really.  So to have this done, and to be absolutely sure that this is the dress I want to get married in, feels pretty good.  You all know how I just love dresses.  I thought I could try them on forever and ever, but after I knew this was the one I pretty much just wanted to stop looking.  Good sign.

Mmkay, hopefully this was at least an amusing post.  If you want me to cool it on the wedding stuff on this blog, just let me know in the comments.  If you like hearing about it, I can keep updating you.  Just let me know.

25 comments:

  1. My mom didn't cry when I got my dress either (neither did I). We just knew that was the best one! Although I did post the website pictures of my top three dresses on my blog, including the one I wound up getting. Luckily my now husband didn't guess right, and I sure as hell didn't bring that dress into our house when I got it - he would have totally snooped!

    Hope your grandma gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost cried the first time I tried it on. Seriously, it wasn't even laced up yet and I was like HOLY CRAP THIS DRESSSSS.

      Delete
  2. Aaawhhhh now I can't wait to see your wedding pictures to actually see the dress!!!! This was a very nice post, keep the wedding details coming!!
    All the best to your grandma :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll post wedding updates as I have them. Hopefully the planning continues to roll smoothly along.

      Delete
  3. Yeah don't blog the dress-but mojo or what ever. But definitely want to see pictures after youre married!!! I'm so non traditional that I got married both times in a brown turtle neck dress. The 2nd time with combat boots. It was an outdoor wedding on top of a mountain during peak fall season-tre pretty. Oh well, just a factoid for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you told me that before, about your wedding garb. I respect being different :)

      Delete
  4. I LOVE that second one on you!!

    Buuuut, I can't wait to see what you've chosen =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second one was nice. You know what's hard? Trying to figure out how you want to look on your wedding day. Like, sexy? Princessy? Elegant? I was thinking that I wanted to go the sex-pot route, but when I put on the dress that I ended up buying I just felt like ME. Which I think is how it's supposed to be? But I have no idea. I just love my dress.

      Delete
  5. LMAO. I love that your mom had to tell to NOT blog The Dress. I worked with a lady once who couldn't find anywhere to stash her dress from her fiance other than an office at work (major eyeroll). Anyway, this post is another reminder that I really need to go try on the winning bridesmaid dress for my friend soon ...

    I hope your grandma is doing better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to blog it because it's fabulous. But I know I shouldn't.

      Delete
  6. You are a lovely lady. :)

    Hope your Gramma is feeling much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You've got the right man, you've got the right dress. That takes care of the necessities and the rest is just trimmings. Don't let them stress you out. Anything that goes 'wrong' is a source of laughter and smiling memories once it's over. (Honest.)

    Good vibes on their way to your GM.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic post. Don't think I've ever seen a 'rejects' post. Can't wait to see the actual dress. Just remember to have fun with the rest of it all

    ReplyDelete
  9. The fifth dress looks so cute on you: love the straight neckline and the black detail, very elegant! Can't wait to see which one you choose to be THE dress :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that dress is lovely. And very light.

      Delete
  10. Love the idea of having a dress with pockets! I can;t wait to see your actual dress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried on SO MANY DRESSES with pockets. And bridesmaids dresses too. My friend was delighted every time she found pockets in one of the dress options.

      Delete
  11. A bride wants to wear a special and unique dress on her wedding in which she looks like a pretty doll. Here are good collections of wedding dresses which can attract any bride.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is really awsome and i love that.. This is very unique thing you put on that post.. Thanks for sharing... Affordable Wedding Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like these all dresses but I think golden belt wedding dress is more beautiful than others because it’s simple and perfect for a wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every bride wants her dress to be unique and beautiful. It becomes very important for a bride to choose her wedding dress carefully.

    Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow nice post!!! it's nice Dresses. thank you for sharing great post. After Six Bridesmaid Dresses

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!