Monday, February 04, 2013

Back to Reality

Oh, where to start.  Things have been hard.  After my grandma died there was the funeral to deal with, and the inevitable family semi-drama that happens when someone dies.  After the funeral things started to calm down a little.  I caught a cold from my dad (my poor dad has had so much to deal with on top of being sick) and was lying low with Ben.  Then one morning, eight days after my grandma died, Ben found out that his grandmother died.  Basically the entire month of January was one big tragedy.  My semester started last Monday and I was supposed to be back in New York the day before that.  But Ben and I decided that it would be best if I delayed my leaving and stayed with his family during his grandmother's funeral and burial.  So that's what I did.  I told him more than once during the two-day viewing/funeral/burial that I just couldn't bear to be in a room with grieving people anymore.  Because I myself am still grieving; it was so hard for me to see his family so sad and to know exactly what they were feeling.  It was like it amplified my own sadness.  

So, I got back to New York several days late, missed my first [Monday] class, but was back in time for my first [Friday] class.  This week will be, I'm assuming, very busy.  I start learning German and I'll start back up again at work.  Then there's the pile of reading that keeps getting bigger and bigger even though it's only the second week of school.  It was so weird coming back to the city.  I was gone for so long, and now it almost feels like I never left.  My apartment was just the way I left it when I rushed out of here on December 21st.  And now this small space feels so oppressive and unbearably lonely.  I'm trying not to think about that, but the same old what-am-I-even-doing-here thoughts all came rushing back as soon as my plane landed at LaGuardia and I was by myself again.

Aside from all of that, I have two polishes to show you.  The first is OPI Steady As She Rose, which I wore for a second time during the second funeral I attended.  I think that it's going to become a favorite polish in my stash.  The first time I wore it I really loved it, but this time I really loved it.  I kept it on for six days and only took it off because it was starting to chip.
*I'm sorry that all of the following photos are absolutely awful*
I had two pictures of this--one was blurry and one not blurry.  I accidentally deleted the not blurry one.  Whoops.  I took this in the car on the way to the cemetery.  Hence the carnation and rose.

I like Steady As She Rose because it's a chameleon.  Sometimes it looks very pink and sometimes it leans decidedly more neutral.  It's a two-coats-to-opacity polish with a lovely formula.  I brought my bottle back to New York with me, so I think it will probably go into heavy rotation this winter/spring.

The second polish is OPI The Spy Who Loved Me.  When I was in Columbus and Ben was working, and I decided to go get a little manicure.  I chose this OPI, but I think the topcoat the girl doing my nails used just did not agree with my body chemistry; the polish was chipping by the next morning.  Oh well.

blur for sparklies

It's just your basic red with gold shimmer, but it's nice.  I don't think I'd ever buy this one for myself.  I liked wearing it, though.  For the twelve hours that I got to wear it.

That's all for now.  I would like to post one more time this week, but I'll have to see how that goes and how much time I have.  Thanks, everyone, for all of your well wishes and condolences, and for being patient.  I really appreciate all of that.

18 comments:

  1. 1) I love both of these polishes on you. 2) Loads of hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad that you are doing a little better-I was just thinking about this morning, wondering how you were doing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think as I get into the swing of how this semester is going to go I'll start to feel better emotionally. At least about my grandmother.

      Delete
  3. Hope things will get better for you, you're pretty rad and all.

    P.S. I have that same dress, I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl. You're pretty rad yourself.

      Yes, love that dress. Old Navy, $4 on clearance.

      Delete
  4. I'm happy your back I was thinking if you while you were gone. You are a very strong person don't forget that
    Wishing you all the best (hugs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry that you had to go through this so close together! Even that does not make it any easier. Hoping your spirits are lifted soon, as you get back in the swing of things.
    And I love the red color! I think I'll be on the search for this one soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a lot of dupe-y things out there for that red. OPI Smitten With Mittens comes to mind.

      And thank you :)

      Delete
  6. So sorry that January was so terrible and filled with loss. I hope you can keep your mind off all off that with work and school; best of luck this semester!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I can't wait until I don't have to live my life by semesters anymore.

      Delete
  7. On me, Steady as She Rose looks very neutral with almost a grey tinge. I like it, but I'd like it better if it looked a little pinker.

    And I'm sorry January was so sad, and hope February is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen it look so different on many people.

      It can't get worse, so...here's hoping. (actually it could totally get worse and I hope it doesn't)

      Delete
  8. Sending you lots of love and big cuddly hugs. My uncle passed away last week so I have an inkling of what you're feeling-I hope you and your family are coping :(

    Oh Steady as She Rose looks beautiful on ya!

    Asmaa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry about your uncle. That's terrible :(

      Delete
  9. So sorry about both your grandmas :( Good luck with your new classes! That picture is good, by the way!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!