Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sinful Colors Beau Khaki (ha) and Subtle Dots

Lots on the agenda for today.  First, sadly I had to add word verification to my comments form.  I was getting SO MANY spam comments and I don't know why.  So I know word veri is a pain in the ass, but I hope you guys still comment.  So anyway, here's some nail polish.
 overcast natural light
 lamp light
 partial sun
 more partial sun
even more partial sun
I was going to do clean-up and then I didn't.  So, I suck/am lazy.

Here, friends, is Sinful Colors Beau Khaki.  Do I even need to address the name?  I don't think so.  So let's all expel a hearty guffaw and move on.  It's a muted olive creme.  I bought it out of habit.  My mind goes LOOK OLIVE GREEN NEED IT WANT IT OKAY GOT IT NOW PHEW.  But then after I buy them it takes me forever to wear them because I forget how much I really love them.  That is what happened with this little guy.  I got it in January and didn't put it out until the other day.  I found the formula difficult to work with and very thick.  But this is two coats.  The idea of a creme olive seemed boring to me, so I made plans to jazz it up a little.  As it turned out, I liked the color so much all alone-y on its own-y on my nails that I considered not jazzing it up.  But that would have meant foregoing dots, so, as you can see, I caved.  The Bobby Pin Dots© are OPI Tickle My France-y, my OG favorite nude.  I think these two polishes look nice together, and I appreciate the subtlety of the cute dots in such a murky palette.  

So, I had a really nice weekend.  As you all know I have been feeling irretrievably lost lately, and my mom offered (after I told her I wanted to be invited) to fly me to Chicago for an already-planned girls' weekend for my cousin Mattie's 10th birthday.  At first I thought it would be silly to go to Chicago for only about 36 hours, but after talking to my dad he convinced me that it would be good for me.  I got into the city around 8 on Friday night and flew back to NYC around 11 on Sunday morning.  But I'm so glad I went.
The theme of the weekend was AMERICAN GIRL.  The hotel we stayed at catered to Mattie's doll, giving her her own little bed and turn-down service.  It was very cute.  Here we are on Saturday morning about to head to the store at Water Tower Place.
Mattie's doll got her hair done.  That's my mom there on the left and my Aunt Michele on the right.  It was just the four of us for the weekend.  Plus Mattie's doll, whose name changes seasonally.  As it is February, she is currently called Winter (so cute).
 I was holding onto Winter for Mattie while my mom and I took a much-needed coffee break before lunch.
And here we are at lunch.  Apparently I was looking at my mom's camera and Mattie was looking at her mom's camera.  C'est la vie.  Anyway, Mattie's dolls (she got a new one, who you see here; Saige) got to sit at the table with us.  It's a little girl's dream.  And it was fun for us adults too (ohmygodi'manadult)

So yes, it was a very nice weekend.  After the American Girl Doll store we went back to the suburb of Chicago where my aunt and uncle live and spent the night with the rest of the family (my uncle and Mattie's brother).  That was so nice.  Just to talk to people, sit with people.  Also I hadn't been back to Chicago since I graduated from The University of Chicago in 2009.  Now that I live in New York...Chicago looks so little!  It was such a strange feeling.  

After I got back to New York I decided to buy myself a little pick-me-up to get me through the coming weeks until I can go home for spring break.  I don't buy myself anything anymore, but I knew that as soon as I saw the Urban Decay Oz palette in Glinda (available here) that I needed to have it.  I took the subway to Sephora as soon as I got home and snagged the last one in the store.  Very exciting.  I am in love with it.  I played with it for the first time yesterday.

I plan to do a ton of things with it, so I'm very happy that I was able to find one in stock.  Also, I have to pause to tell you that the day I was wearing this makeup I sent a picture of myself to Ben.  Just like, a normal picture where I am looking at the camera.  My bangs are kind of unruly so they were in my face and my eyelids weren't even visible because, well, my eyes were open.  Later he texted me back and said, "I like your eyeshadow."  I didn't even TELL HIM that I got a NEW THING that I am EXCITED ABOUT.  And he noticed anyway.  And that, ladies, is one of the many reasons why I have the best man (but I'm pretty sure I'm biased).

That's all for today.  Here's hoping you all get through your weeks intact.  This one's gonna be a doozy for me.

20 comments:

  1. Aw man, do you know how many lemmings your blog has given me for tickle my francey? I have a bottle, but its definitely the new and reformulated color :(

    Sounds like the weekend was wonderful and I also love the eyeshadow on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, sorry! Yeah, I've heard tell that the newer version of TMF is way...like, pinker? Sort of less grungy-looking? I don't know. Actually I'd love to have a new bottle to do a comparison because I couldn't easily find one online after lazily Googling it and examining the results for 30 seconds. Maybe I'll get a new bottle and do a comparison.

      ERMAHGERD I love the eyeshadow palette. So glad I got it.

      Delete
  2. Love the murky olive with the TMF dots. I don't do dots often enough...I should do them more: thanks for reminding me :-) It sounds (and looks) like a fun trip with your family and Winter the doll...so sophisticated to just hop on a plane and fly off for a day, or two (but perhaps in the US this is more normal then in the small tiny Netherlands ;-) ).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Man, I've always thought that Europeans were super sophisticated, hopping around countries because they're all so relatively close together over there. It's funny to hear that point of view about The States.

      And yes, dots more often should happen for everyone :)

      Delete
  3. I'm wearing Tickle My France-y right now! Every time I put it on I'm like "Oh Estephanie!!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad I'm always in your miiiiiind (I meant that to sound as creepily as it reads).

      Delete
  4. Sorry you are getting so many spam comments. It happens - I think folks have way too much time on their hands to be writing bot programs searching for places to put up spam links. I run a group for a health problem and had to go to all comments being moderated for it. I notice on Twitter way too many comments are spam links on lots of Twitter accounts now. I stopped using FB because of all the infringement to privacy. It's not a perfect world. I am not a dot person but I sure like these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks! Yeah, I don't know why the spam comments started. All in one week. Very weird.

      Delete
  5. So, I am old (probably your mom's age, maybe even older) and when I was a little kid, my dad didn't wear jeans, he wore "khakis." These were always olive green. The wikipedia article on khaki explains that confusion, and the fact that in France and Germany, khaki is green.

    And I'm glad I"m not going crazy about Tickle My France-y -- I've looked at it at Ulta and it seemed so much more pink than your pictures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a funny thing about khaki as a descriptor. I never knew that.

      Yeah, I guess they reformulated the color of TMF. But like I said, I haven't found any comparisons. But I also didn't look that hard...

      Delete
  6. What's with the name 'beau kaki'? Another nail blog also brought attention to the polish name but it didn't say why/what it meant. Do you mind enlightening me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. It's a play on the Japanese word "bukkake." Which you can Google. Just make sure your safe search is off or else you won't get the right results. Wikipedia should have an article about it.

      Delete
    2. haha all i can say is 'oh dear' and 'thanks for replying'

      Delete
    3. Oh sure. Y'know, it's funny. When I started this blog years ago I wouldn't have hesitated to type out exactly what the term meant, but for some reason I'm now way more careful with my own content.

      Delete
  7. Hi Steph,

    It sounds like you had a great trip! And I love the look you created with Glinda. Gorgeous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. chiiii cityyy!!!!! best town ever!!!! <3 i love the water tower! you just missed all the snow we got tonight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back to NYC because of all the snow in the forecast. But all was well. And it IS the best town ever.

      Delete
  9. Most men don't notice that kind of thing-esp not eyeshadow!! So that is VERY cool. Glad you h ad a good time-haven't been to Chicago since 1995!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He notices pretty much everything. In January when I got my Urban Decay Naked Basics palette I started doing brown winged liner instead of black and he noticed and commented immediately. That seems unique among dudes.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!