Monday, February 11, 2013

Sinful Colors Mauve; Target Release Shopping Tips

Hey everyone.  Thanks for all the positive feedback on my last post--it was really sweet.  Even though I didn't respond to the comments individually, trust me...I read them all.  This is going to be a long post, but it won't be staggeringly sad like my last few.  On the agenda:  nail polish, Apple Store story, and Prabal Gurung for Target.  

Nail polish-wise, I have something new for 2013 to show you today, Sinful Colors Mauve.  Which I then topped with OPI Pirouette My Whistle.


I am ashamed.  My dry hands.  I'm so sorry.  There's nothing I can do about them in the winter.  I've tried everything from Lemony Flutter to Vaseline, and I just have to ride out the winter dryness.  Anyway, Mauve.  It's a lavender creme.  The formula was thick, but I only needed two coats.  The application seemed to me to be a little tricky because of the thicker-than-usual formula, but nothing that wasn't manageable.  I liked the color just fine on its own, but I couldn't resist giving it a more ethereal feel by adding this glitter.  Another $1.99 win from Sinful.

Last Thursday I had a crisis of epic proportions.  At least that's what it seemed like to me.  Around 10:00pm I was on the phone with Ben sort of just absentmindedly surfing the internet.  Then all of a sudden my computer froze, which had never happened to me before.  So I forced it to shut down and turned it back on.  Then I saw this.

That's not my computer, but that's exactly what it looked like, screen-wise.  Perplexed and quickly falling into a state of ever-increasing panic, I called up my dad.  Who was asleep and couldn't help me.  To be fair, he couldn't have helped me even if he had just had a pot of coffee and a solid eight hour nap, but my default when I have a problem with anything that's electronic or mechanical is to call my dad.  So I did what any New Yorker would do.  I went to the 24-hour Apple Store on 5th Avenue.  Yes, there is an Apple Store here open 24 hours a day.  Basically, even though my hard drive could have died and I could have lost everything, it didn't.  It was the hard drive cable, which was replaceable within a day and cost me $56.  Although I had to leave my MacBook with the Apple Store for a day and I felt totally lost without it (pathetic, I know), I'm glad to have it back.

And now I will present to you:  

-The Thrifty Girl's Guide to Target Collaborations-
(this is of course meant to be rather satirical [but also kind of serious] and is written from the perspective of someone who buys for herself and not ebay; for shame, ebay people, for shame)

Listen.  As a seasoned veteran of the ridiculousness that is a designer for Target release, I thought I could give a few pointers and also relay my experience from yesterday.  I own items from Zac Posen, the coveted Missoni collection, Jason Wu, and now Prabal Gurung.  For the most part, I know what I'm doing.  So, here we go.  10 rules you really should follow.
1.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK.  As a perpetual student, I hate the idea of having more homework.  But it's totally necessary in this case.  You need to study the lookbook and know EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT.  
2.  RANK YOUR CHOICES.  It's very important that you rank your choices.  Is there a must-have piece for you?  Then that's your number one.  Every other item should be behind that must-have piece in terms of grabby-hands order.  Be prepared to sacrifice your #2 for the sake of your #1.  Sometimes that happens.
3.  CAFFEINATE.  I can't stress this one enough.  You need a cup of coffee.  Yesterday I knocked back a huge energy drink before I started the six-block walk to my Target.  And by the time I got there it had kicked in.  I was ready.  Gameface ON.
4.  DO NOT ASSUME.  I actually made this mistake this time around.  What I mean by this is that you shouldn't assume that there won't be a lot of people there even if you live in a small town or a weird area.  I live in Harlem, where my Target is, and I made the mistake of thinking there wouldn't be a lot of girls there.  I was very wrong.  In fact, here's an article about how wrong I was.  But even though I was one of the last girls in line it was okay.  Why?  Because I followed rules 1 and 2.
5.  THE TIME FOR POLITENESS IS NOT TODAY.  Listen.  For most of us, we'll never have the chance to wear the same designer as, for example, Michelle Obama on inauguration day.  So be polite in other places.  Today, this day of the collab. release, is a day for elbowing, jumping over the carts of others, and general shoving shenanigans.
6.  GET A VISUAL.  Sometimes this is possible, sometimes it's not.  If you can see your must-have item through the window while you're waiting outside, you can chart your course.  If not, you have to wing it.  This worked well for me with Jason Wu.  I spotted my dress and made a bee-line.  At Prabal Gurung I was less lucky and I just had to wander in and hope I spotted it.  I did.
7.  WORK QUICKLY.  This is a rule I always follow.  Because you have ranked your choices, grab them as quickly as possible.  Don't think, just take.  That way you will be at the dressing room before everyone else, which is a good thing.  Another piece of advice for Target collabs is to hypothesize as accurately as possible on sizing.  For example, I'm normally a size 8-10 in dresses (my drug of choice).  So in items I know I want, I grab sizes 8, 10, 12.  Just in case.
8.  DO NOT USE A CART.  For the love of god, ladies, carts take up too much room in the aisles.  LEAVE THE CART BEHIND.  You have arms and shoulders for a reason.
9.  BE CUT-THROAT AND EFFICIENT.  Assuming that you, like me, are on a budget, you need to choose the pieces you love and let another girl have the pieces you sort of like.  For example:
(this one was too big on top and I ended up snapping a photo of this size instead of the one that fit)
I liked this dress, but didn't love it.  Back to the rack for a girl that ranked it as her must-have.
10.  ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS GO BACK TO THE RACKS AFTER YOUR FIRST ROUND.  Sometimes people put stuff back.  Sometimes, but not always.  It's always worth it to check. If you had to sacrifice your #2 choice to grab your must-have item...you never know!  It could be there again when you return to the designer section.

I followed these rules and, therefore, while most of the other girls were still scrambling like psychos trying to grab everything they could get their hands on, I had tried on my must-have (plus a few other things), and I was already in the grocery section trying to decide on a brand of Earl Grey.
As you can see, I also did not put on makeup.  The spoils of war, ladies.
(not zipped all the way, so it looks a little baggy here; but, this is a product of prizing efficiency)

I chose this dress for a couple reasons.  As my friend Sam pointed out (PS, she's coming to visit and stay with me on Wendesday; happy dance), it is one of the few with sleeves, making it one of the most practical.  Also, I love black.  But lastly, the print is pretty quintessential Prabal Gurung.  I had a second choice, but I had to sacrifice it for my must-have; that happens.  It was this dress on the left.

Anyway, there are some tips from a seasoned Targetista.  Hopefully it made you smile or helped you out.  And I hope that you got your must-haves!  I'm pretty happy with how my shopping experience turned out.

K, that's it for today.  Happy Monday.  Have an extra cup of coffee, warrior women.  You deserve it.

18 comments:

  1. LOL I love this! I wish my Target got some of the better collabs. I haven't been in yet to check (like, they had Missoni and Calypso St. Barth's but there weren't listed on the site) so here's hoping the blue & green shift dress is there! If not, I'll totes be ordering online.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that dress is still available online. I went back to Target for other things a few days ago and we still had them in my store.

      Delete
  2. I also woke up super early yesterday to hit up my Target! I grabbed the same dress, as well as the blouse in the same print, red wedge sandals and the blue and coral dress. I was the only person at my Target ( I live in a small town) which was awesome, but we also didn't have the full line, so boo :( Glad you scored your #1!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked the blue and coral dress too!

      Delete
  3. My Target never gets the good stuff! It's so depressing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I was SO hoping you would a) be a fan of this collection and b) blog about it! I've got a large Target problem and have been obsessing over this collection since the beginning of the year. Not only did I stay up til 2AM Sunday morning to buy the online exclusive things I wanted, but I also woke up at the crack of dawn to be at my store first thing. I was prepared to elbow and run (my original plan was to grab my top choices and go hide in home decor to sort) but to my serious surprise I was one of only two people interested in the collection that morning. The Missoni and Jason Wu collections went so fast I was certain Prabal would bring the bloodshed. Alas I am now out many, many dollars but have more than my heart's desire in floral prints. So happy to hear things are on the up and up for you, and I'm not the only one who gameplans her Target trips! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, yes. I was very excited for this collection. I never order things on line because I'm so paranoid about fit. I can't believe you were one of two people there! Lucky girl.

      Delete
  5. You were spot on about not thinking a lot of people will be at your Target! I read that and still thought....I'm sure not that many people will be there. I was sort of right because no one was around the collection but only because there was hardly much left!
    They didn't even have my must have dress!!!!! (Which was your second choice.) I was pretty upset but at the same time tried not to beat myself down because afterall I did just go to Target for lemon pepper seasoning.....or so I told my other half! Lol!
    Btw I love the manicure. Way too pretty I can't even stop looking at it, and wondering if I have something similar in my collection. Which I of course don't have anything like PMW. Bummer because now I may have to buy it on amazon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that dress that was my second choice. It's something that I would probably wear all the time, so I was definitely bummed they didn't have it.

      I recommend PMW. It's probably my favorite glitter ever.

      Delete
  6. This was my first target release since the others have been on weekdays. I've been watching for this collection since I heard about it back in November! I had 2 MUST HAVE ITEMS, and a few other "those would be nice" items. In the end, I got the 2 MH items (turq and coral dress and clack flat sandals) and the coral racer back tank and the multi-colored flats. I live right outside DC, and I didn't think there'd be that many people. There were about 20, which was more than I expected, but because I got there 30minutes early, I was set. I had my coffee in hand, and was still wearing Saturday night's makeup! There are a few other pieces from the collex I am interested in, but am waiting until Friday Payday. If they are sold out, it wasn't meant to be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good way to look at it :) The Jason Wu release was on a Sunday, too!

      Delete
  7. Good haul, Estephanie! I live like... down the street from Target; it's on the bottom floor and kind of hidden from the street, so I think people forget it's there. I went at 10 on Sunday and there were like four other people mildly browsing the section with me. Two of them were men.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be nice. We only have 1 Target in town. Noone is forgetting about it! I love right next to it. It's probably a 5 minute walking distance.

      Delete
  8. I cackled when I saw this post pop up on Google Reader. You did awesome! It's easy for me to pick out what I want since I know these sizes run small and since I know only a few items are 98% cotton (rayon/poly blends and my arms/upper body do not play well together). I ended up with the colorblock pencil skirt since they were out of my 1st choice dress (your 2nd choice), but I'm still pretty happy. Shopping for clothes is such an ordeal, I'm good until April.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you know me! And that pencil skirt is very nice.

      I used to love to shop and do it all the time. I don't really anymore. It's too much of a hassle in New York.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!