Thursday, February 07, 2013

The Tess Collection: Revlon Crème Brûlée

Here starts a new series that I'll add to about once a month or so, The Tess Collection.  My grandmother's name was Therese, and for as long as I can remember that's what everyone called her.  Then a few Christmases ago I asked her what she was called as a little girl.  She told me Tess.  I said, "I. Love. That."  I thought it was so cute.  Then a little while later, my aunt came over to have us sign the cast she was wearing--maybe she broke her arm?  I can't remember.  But anyway, my grandmother signed it "Tess."  She was delighted with herself, and said she hadn't been called that in a long time.  Then, soon after, my parents started taking her down to their lake house.  And there she was Tess, always.  She introduced herself as Tess and that's how people knew her.  When she went into assisted living she was also Tess.  By the end of her long life she had reinvented herself by reintroducing her girlhood nickname, and it was the cutest thing ever.  

I started blogging in 2009.  Around that time I was spending a lot of time with my grandma, and she of course noticed my constantly changing nails.  It inspired her to start up her own little collection.  When she died, I went over to her little apartment and scooped up her nail polish.  Her polishes were sitting on a crystal tray in her living room, and you might be surprised as to what an 89-year-old woman was wearing on her nails.  But for this first post, we'll start with a neutral, Revlon Crème Brûlée.



I'll admit that in the bottle this one didn't look like much.  I chose to wear it first because I remember my grandma wearing it (although I think she was sort of a habitual one-coater, so for the most part her polishes didn't look opaque most of the time).  Crème Brûlée is a sandy neutral with gold microshimmer.  The base also has warm, pink-ish undertones.  I love this one in sunlight, when the gold shimmer leaps out.  I also like it indoors because it's one of those elegant colors that isn't obtrusive, but makes my fingers look long and slender.  The formula was sort of sheer (but easy to work with) so I did three coats.  The other thing is that this polish is a little frosty, so if you look up-close in bright sunlight you can see brushstrokes.  I didn't mind that, though.  

This one reminds me a lot of OPI Sand In My Suit from the South Beach Collection of 2009.  The base colors are similar, with the Revlon being a little darker, but the shimmers are different; the OPI has silver shimmer, the Revlon has gold.  And I much prefer the Revlon.  Sand In My Suit is actually one of my least favorite polishes that I own (I really should give it away), so I was delighted to find that I actually really loved how Crème Brûlée looked on me.  

What I'm saying is that my grandma had good taste in polish.  And clothes and shoes.  I mean, look at her in 1945.

GIRL.  What a looker.  To me she was beautiful inside and out.

That's all for today.  Look for another installment of The Tess Collection on the 7th of March.

23 comments:

  1. I love this!!! I don't have many memories of my grandma, but the Tess collection is an awesome way for you to feel like being with her again. I know others will be able to relate. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet way to honour your grandma. I love this <3

    I can't wait to see what else is in this collection!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an awesome way to pay tribute to your grandma. I'm excited to see the rest of Tess's collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is just the cutest story, thank you for sharing. I can't wait for the next installment. My grandma maintains wonderful, almond-shaped nails, but she won't paint them with any color!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this polish on you, that photo of your grandma and this series -- it's the perfect way for you to share your memories of her with us. Can't wait for next month's post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely tribute! I can't wait for the next installment, and I love the shade you've chosen to kick it off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that you are doing this !!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh WOW, what a fabulous idea: The Tess Collection!!! Such a lovely way to keep the memory of your grandmother close to your hart! Love the colour as well, very chique, warm and sparkeling. Great choice Tess and beautiful first choice Stephanie! Can't wait to see what is next :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This such an amazing idea i cant wait to see what is next

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gosh your awesome! What an awesome idea!!!! The color is great and grandma was beautiful <3

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great idea, and what a great story about your grandma reinventing herself!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This made me smile and cry at the same time. My grandmother and I had the same nail polish bond, I got her manicure kit when she passed away two years ago. I miss her everyday but I smile every time I do my nails. I'm glad you do too :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Seriously, I agree with everything everybody else said. SUCH an amazing series to start. Can't wait to see what other polishes she had!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is such an amazing idea, thanks for sharing :) And I love the look of that polish, neutral but not boring.....
    Hope you have a lovely weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dayum. Grandma was quite the head turner. I'm intrigued with seeing what she liked in polish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow tess was a looker back then! I love having old photos of family when they were younger. I even have some from the 1800s. i just love seeing the old outfits etc. I love that you got your Grandma's polish. That's really cool. considering my mom thinks clear is a color-I will not have the same thing! Love this color too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a lovely tribute to a lovely lady! I'll bet your grandma would get such a charge out of you doing this for her. Thanks for sharing Tess with us.

    ~ Karli

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely piece, from start to finish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is such a great idea! I absolutely love it. I also think it's a great color. Tess was a stylish lady.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a sweet and lovely idea! And the photo of your grandma when she was young is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sand In My Suit is one of my very favourites. I had to roam the Internet looking for it, I treasure that polish - thus I'll give Crème Brûlée a miss! Your grandma had great taste. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I think this is so cute! I couldn't imagine how amazing it would be to have some of your grandmas polishes. A little treasure that makes you feel close to her and something you can actually wear.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!