Thursday, March 21, 2013

Essie Come Here!

The other day I was wandering around Duane Reade while I was on the phone with Ben, and even though I was telling him about something really important, I stopped talking for a second when I spotted the Essie resort collection for 2013.  My brain tried to reason with me:
Brain:  Those colors don't look that special.  You don't need any.
Me:  But...pretty.  Want.
Brain:  I mean, they all probably have dupes.  You don't need any.
Me:  But!
Brain:  Okay.  Just one.
So, accordingly, I chose the one that probably has the greatest number of dupes.  But I couldn't resist it. I just couldn't.

Such trouble photographing this one.  The quality of the pictures below is terrible because the only way I could get the color to show up in a semi-decent way was to use extremely low light.


Looks like it leans pretty pink.
And this is how it turned out in natural light.  Looks like it leans pretty orange.  Waaaaaaaay too orange.  It doesn't really look like this in reality, but it gives you an idea of how bright it is.

In reality Come Here! leans both orange and pink depending on the light source, but I would call the top three photos the most color accurate.  It's a super bright, saturated, in-your-face coral.  It just screamed to me, "please take me home!"  I'm pretty sure that it also has neon pigment in it.  The formula, which was very thick and goopy, seemed to have some neon qualities.  I used two coats.  But this polish isn't truly a neon and it also dries shiny, not matte.  The color actually reminds me a lot of China Glaze Sneakerhead (one of my favorites) and the newer China Glaze Igniting Love (another favorite).  According to this blog post, Come Here! also has two near-dupes in Essie's own lineup, Ole Caliente and Flirt.

I really.  really.  love this polish.  After I bought it I couldn't wait to put it on.  Yesterday I got so many compliments.  A random lady on the subway asked me if it was a gel color, and if so where I got it done.  Once I told her it was Essie and that I got it for $8 at a drug store, she said, "Who would spend $8 for nail polish?"  Oh random subway lady, you have no idea.

Do I have too many reds?  Do I own possible dupes for this color?  Was I even aware of that when I bought the color?  Yes.  But...

The sweet siren song of semi-neon coral called to me and I was powerless against it.  Regrets?  None.

20 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm confused but isn't spending $8 for a bottle of polish way cheaper than spending $30 or more for a professional gel manicure? Oy, people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. I don't know what she was thinking.

      Delete
  2. I did not need to know that these are out LOL. But I LOVE this and it may need to come home with me. My love for Igniting Love is all your fault ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! It's so hard to describe nail polish colors that basically change depending on the light. Really like Come Here when it's pink, but not so much when it's orange! I find this happens with coral/orange polishes too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true. That does happen a lot of with corals.

      Delete
  4. I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that has these battles with themselves over "to buy or not to buy" while standing powerlessly in front of the new nail polish colors in the stores! LOL...I have the same exact arguments with my self and some how I still end up buying at least one of the polishes that I seemingly have at least 5 dupes!

    This is a beautiful color for sure! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I stood in front of the same display again today and had the same internal argument. But this time logic won out and I walked away empty-handed.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Haha, isn't it great? I love that one.

      Delete
  6. This color is amazing! love it. I think Essie has an amazing selection of shades and I spend a lot (and i mean a LOT) of time deciding which one I want.
    Recently I've made myself a gift and bought three Essie nail polishes: Neo Whimsical, Chinchilly and Island Hopping. I love them all and when my friends are surprised and give comments like 'Who would spend so much on a nail polish?' i do that thing from the picture you posted. I just don't care :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So do I ! :D

      Oh, and speaking of Essie- have you ever tried Essie Matte Finish? I saw such thing as matting top coat for the first time.

      Delete
    2. I have Essie Matte About You. It's the only matte topcoat I own, mostly because I just don't like matte finishes. I kind of dont understand them! I like shiny nails.

      Delete
  7. I'm with e first commenter! Doesn't it cost way more to have a gel service mani done? Duh. People really are stupid! Love this color!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's definitely like at least $25. For something that lasts about 10 days.

      Delete
  8. The argument is eternal. Sis gives me grief about how many polishes I own and I roll my eyes at what she pays for her gel manicures. In her defense, she has flimsy nails and little time, but in my defense, I have the time and desire to do my own (and much stronger nails), and my np habit is far cheaper than her shopping habit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each her own! Sadly I have both a shopping habit AND a nail polish habit...

      Delete
  9. :-) :-) :-) Good for you: it is a lovely, lovely red!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it? Such a good spring/summer color.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!