Friday, March 15, 2013

OPI Lights of Emerald City (aka OMG UNICORNS!!!!)

I never liked The Wizard of Oz as a kid.  Frankly, it scared me.  There was a green lady with flying monkeys, and I was all, I'm out.  But I do love Wicked.  Anyway, this is the second tie-in product I've picked up for the new Oz movie that just came out (which I heard was not good), the first one being the Urban Decay Glinda palette.  Last week during my Duane Reade couponing extravaganza I noticed the new OPI Oz collection.  So I wandered over and decided to give the white glitter, Lights of Emerald City, a try.




If I had been charged with the task of naming this polish I would have called it OMG UNICORNS!!!!  Because there is nothing about this that doesn't remind me of like...Lisa Frank.  And girly-ness.  And, well, unicorns.  This is one coat-ish of Lights of Emerald City over three coats of Wet n Wild Sugar Coat.  So many things went wrong with this manicure.  First, I forgot that Sugar Coat is a streaky-ass mess.  It took three pretty thick coats to even it out, so the polish on my nail was already pretty substantial.  Then the glitter.  Oh, the glitter.  I mean, I wouldn't call this glitter super difficult to work with, but you do have to finagle the pieces to sit where you want them on the nail.  The white pieces, of course, have the tendency to move to the edge of the nail as you drag the brush across its surface.  So my coat of Lights of Emerald City ended up being thick too.  And then I think I should have used Seche on this one to really amp up the dry time, but I used NYC GCS.  Which didn't really play nicely with quick-drying-needs this severe.  So a couple nails got dented because this took FOR-EV-ER to dry fully.  

But.

I mean, look at it.  It's pretty great.  I have a sneaking suspicion that this glitter would probably look amazing over something vampy.  But I really wanted to try it over something light and airy first (ha--Sugar Coat was not a good option).  I do love the way this came out.  And I got a ton of compliments ranging from, "is that...are those dots?" to "is that glitter?" to "do you actually do your nails yourself?!" So, people really liked this one.  And I'm not ready to give up on it just because it's a pain to work with.  It's too pretty.

I came home on Monday to find a package from Ben waiting for me.



Behold, China Glaze Avant Garden!  Monday was the day I had my midterm, which went pretty poorly, I think.  And then I had a two-hour German class directly after that.  And then I got caught up talking to someone for another 30 minutes.  So I didn't get home until like 10.  That is why I look like a nightmare in the above photos.  It was really nice to see something from Ben that day.  And it was even nicer that it was A WHOLE SHITLOAD OF NAIL POLISH.  I couldn't decide what I wanted from the collection so he bought them all for me as a gift.  Super excited about them!  Ben is the best at cheering me up.  

That's all for today.  Anyone pick up anything from the OPI Oz collection?  The sheers this year seem to have got nothing on the NYC Ballet ones from last year, amirite?

31 comments:

  1. I don't plan on picking any of the OPI Oz shades, but this one does look pretty over Sugar Coat. Also, your fiance is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a pretty combination! I'm going to have to check out the new collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks STUNNING. OMG Unicorns is a pretty kickass name :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel the same way about Wizard of Oz, coincidentally. But Toto is awfully cute. Anyway.

    Sugar Coat is just...so so bad. It's currently residing in my purge pile. I'm really digging the glitter though!

    Now THAT is a great surprise to come home to =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toto was cute, yes. But not worth the terror of the rest of it ;)

      Delete
  5. Lights Of Emerald City is a stunner! I think I have to get it. The Avant Garden Collection ist great, too! I have a few of the polishes. Have fun with them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It cracked me up that Oz scared you as a kid! I don't know why, it just did. You need to hurry up and marry that boy! He buys you polish! That's a keeper for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Oz so much as a kid that I picked up all of the polishes. I loved this one so much I've worn in twice in the past week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like it's either a love it or hate it kind of thing. I had friends who just adored it while I was growing up.

      Delete
  8. hahaha! I am going to call this OMG Unicorns from now on in my head. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am also completely terrified of The Wizard of Oz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean. There's a DEAD GUY in it. Totally scary.

      Delete
  10. Oz totally scared me as a kid too! Funnily enough though, it wasn't so much the movie as it was the books (which I read all of anyways, ha!). The movie somehow still skeeves me out a little though, even though I am fully damn grown by now.

    Love the glitter! The softshades collection this year might not be as awesome as last, but the glitters this year are pretty damn awesome. This one and Which Witch especially peak my interest!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Which Witch looks really lovely. I bet it would be nice in a jelly sammy.

      Delete
  11. Ok Steph I love your blog and I was excited about these colors, especially about this one, Lights of Emerald City. Don't mean to burst your bubble about this one, but when I tried it last week and began to remove it, well frankly it was a BEEE-OOTCCCHH to remove. Foil method for 10 minutes and it only removed half of the glitter....grrrr!!! I still had about 10 more minutes of scrubbing after that. Don't know if I want to use it again! But on a good note, the "Liquid Sand" color of this collection, What Wizardry is This, is the bomb! Would love to hear your thoughts on that one if you try it!

    If you have a better method of removing this glitter, please share!

    Keep posting girl!
    Smoochies from So Calif!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used the foil method too, about 5-10 minutes for each hand. I did end up having to pick off the little white pieces. Once I did that, though, the rest of the polish came off fine. But it was definitely kind of a pain in the ass.

      Delete
  12. OMFG I HATED the wizard of oz too! for the same reason. a green bitch with flying monkey creatures. no. ma'am.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's some nice polish!! I will definitely check it out. You also have a very good boyfriend! And one of the BEST nail blogs on the Internet....

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lights of Emerald City....call me weird....but I expected some green in it somewhere?! Love this glitter though: it's bold and soft all in one :-) Love your fiance, wow mine wouldn't know were to start in the polish departement ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I expected to see more green in the collection, period. Very weird.

      Ben knew to buy me those polishes because I told him I wanted them. I don't think he could pick stuff out I don't already have/want on his very own. But he is definitely the best.

      Delete
    2. So nice, being weird together ;-)

      Thank heavens, he didn't pick those polishes out all by himself! I was starting to think I had to completly reeducate mine :-)

      Delete
  15. NYC ballet collection?? This is really pretty. I don't think I would get it thought because I was expecting something more....EMERALD! lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OPI's soft shades from last year were inspired by the NYC ballet. It was a very good collection.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!