Monday, March 11, 2013

OPI My Vampire Is Buff (With Slight Embellishment)

I'm just going to come right out and say it:  OPI Euro Centrale is a super snooze.  There are some pretty colors in there, sure.  Anna blogged Eurso Euro last week and I liked it a lot.  But it probably has about a dozen dupes.  I'm also drawn to My Paprika Is Hotter Than Yours...but it definitely has about a hundred dupes (OPI On Collins Ave. comes immediately to mind).  I had a hard time finding a unique color in that bunch.  In short, and in my personal-and-perhaps-slightly-bitchy opinion, this is really not a collector's collection.  I think it's for people who are trying to fill holes in their stashes and might need something like a beautiful navy, sky blue, or vampy purple.  There is nothing wrong with the shades, they just don't excite me.  Finally I saw them in person...and was just as underwhelmed.  Until I picked up My Vampire Is Buff and really looked at it.  I don't think I have any similar colors in my stash (but I do wonder how OPI Have A Tempura Tan-trum compares).  Even though it's a lovely nude, I thought it was screaming for a little somethin'-somethin' extra, so here's what happened.
sun
shade

So this is love, la da da da.  Anyway.  My Vampire Is Buff is sort of an ivory/bone color.  It has a drop of pink in it, too, which is much more evident in the shade than in the sun.  The result is that the color is utterly wearable, even for a relatively stark nude creme.  The formula was a little finicky.  I definitely needed the three coats I used in order to even out the color.  

The black glitter I used to create the effect of tiny and inconsistent polka dots is Wet n Wild Tangled In My Web, which came out with a Halloween-themed collection this past autumn.  I really love how this turned out.  Tangled In My Web is one of my more difficult glitters to work with.  It's hard to actually get the little hex glitter to come off onto the nail without removing ones with the brush that you've already placed.  It takes patience, which I sort of had forgotten, and I got a little frustrated by the time I was finished with all ten fingers.  But, worth it.  My camera also hates focusing on the hex glitter for some reason.

Also, is the name of this polish a Twilight reference or something?  Because, no thanks.  I was chatting with Rach last week and told her that I will be vehemently imagining that it is instead a Buffy reference.
God, I love how awkward that picture is.  Xander is giving weird caricature-smile-face, Willow is all HERE'S MUH TUMMY, Giles is without his glasses and signature tweed, Spike looks like he belongs in Notre Dame ringing a bell, Riley is just...there for some reason (no thanks again), and JOSS WHEDON is like oh hey guys.  I made this show, and I also think it's a good idea to wear this purple shirt.  Regardless, Buffy is probably my favorite show of all time, so if I can twist the name of this polish to have EVERYTHING TO DO WITH IT, then I'm happy.

I have one more thing to babble on about today.  This weekend a confluence of toiletry events occurred wherein I needed a new deodorant, a new pressed powder, and I had a Duane Reade coupon (if I spent some amount of money I got $10).  So I headed over there and got a couple new things.  This is one of them.


Makeup really has the stupidest names sometimes.  But anyway, this is a Milani Shadow Eyez cream eyeshadow pencil in Champagne Toast.  I was sort of dubious about them because I haven't had the best of luck with Milani.  But I kind of spend my drug store makeup pilgrimages looking for dupes for Urban Decay Sin, which is my Favorite Eyeshadow of All Time.  I live in fear of running out of it and having to pay like $18 for another single shadow.  I saw this pencil and thought I'd give it a go.

On the left is the Milani in Champagne Toast and on the right is Sin (in regular powder shadow, not cream pencil, form)

They're...pretty close.  The Milani is clearly a bit darker and a little bit more metallic and has more of a coppery tone to it, but they're pretty close.  Not quite dupes, but I'm satisfied.  If you too are interested in a good drugstore dupe of Sin, then there's a decent one in the Wet n Wild Walking On Eggshells trio (it's the bottom "eyelid" color).  Anyway, I tried out the Milani pencil yesterday and I give it a ringing endorsement.  The color goes on and is very saturated, it doesn't tug on your lids, it dries and won't smudge, and IT DOESN'T CREASE AT ALL (over primer).



These pictures came out a bit blurrier than I hoped, but they'll do.  Here I used Champagne Toast on the inner third of the lid and very quickly applied Urban Decay Sidecar (Naked palette) to the outer two thirds and blended them together.  You have to work fast with these if you want any blending action to go on because they do dry pretty quickly on the lid.  I blended Sidecar up into the crease and then used a teeny tiny bit of Half Baked in the crease (Half Baked can be found in about a million UD palettes; mine came from my Naked palette).  I also used Champagne Toast on my lower waterline and it actually held up pretty nicely.  I threw on some liner and mascara and I was good to go.  This is a very easy everyday I'm-wearing-makeup-but-not-that-much-and-still-look-great kind of eyeshadow.

The Milani pencils go for between $7-8.  Mine was $7.49.

As this post goes up I'll be freaking the hell out about a midterm that's happening around 4pm.  I'm going to be so happy when today is over, you all have no idea.  So, happy Monday.  I can't wait to crawl into bed and for it to be Tuesday.

16 comments:

  1. I thought the OPI collection was super boring, too. I'm not that impressed with the OZ one either.

    Also, yay Buffy! I have a purple wet n wild fast dry nail polish called "Buffy the Violet Slayer," because how do you turn that name down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got one from Oz. I'm not sure when I'll post that one.

      I had Buffy the Violet Slayer but I gave it away to a fellow Buffy enthusiast. Very pretty color.

      Delete
  2. The glitter definitely made that polish more interesting. I love your description of the Buffy picture. The awkwardness makes it seem like it should be an outtake. Why isn't there a Buffy themed nail polish collection? I would buy all the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt just like you about this spring OPI collection - walked out without buying any of them and not lusting over any now with regrets. I do think this one your picked is one I don't have a dupe for - but I don't think I would wear it that often and I feared it would be streaky and a wrong color on me - ...but whites are in this year and since I get tired of white fast, this might be one I will go back and get. I find a lot of the collections out are just OK - but then I have collected forever - purged and started up again - the current collection goes back to 89 and some 90's with a lot of the early black labels - I seemed to have tossed all but my OPIs on some 90's purges - some OPI's I did toss and wish now I had not. But that said...I find colors are not all that unique - but I don't think it's a bad thing - newbies coming in all the time and we cannot all have all the old shades. We also got jaded by all the indies and invasion from down under and from Brazil too for those of us who are good students of polish land!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love black label OPIs, you lucky duck!

      Delete
  4. I think the personal-and-perhaps-slightly-bitchy opinion about this polish has come across a lot of polishers' minds. OPI certainly didn't try very hard with this collection. Love your combination though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I thought it would look cute. It's wearing like iron, too.

      Delete
  5. I'm convinced the only reason I bought any of the polishes in this collection is because I stare at them all day on sale at my work. I feel like several of these are re-releases of 90s polishes? I could be wrong but they're all SO familiar. Anyway, I actually really do love MVIB, it's so much whiter than any of the other nudes I own. I also got You're Such A Budapest because I don't have an exact dupe for it. My theory is if Essie's Play Date and Bikini So Teeny had a little polish love child, it would be Budapest.

    I was also horribly afraid the vampire references were Twilight ones, but I think they're because vampires are for some reason associated with Central Europe, like Romania and whatnot. Who really knows though, I like the idea of a Buffy collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I'd have to see the 90s polishes to be sure. MVIB is really nice...I'm thinking it might almost be a creme version of Illamasqua Load? I don't know. The colors are sort of similar.

      Yeah, OPI seems to do a lot of vampire references in their "european" collections. I just associated this with Twilight because of the "buff" thing. Are the vampires in Twilight buff? I don't even know.

      Delete
  6. I refuse to watch any of the Twilight crap-I never did watch Buffy, but I love Sarah Michelle Geller. She rocks! I actually did buy some of this OPI collection-But I have very few OPI compared to the other brands I buy so I felt it ok. Good luck on your midterms-oh and I have all the UD Naked palettes-so awesome! I am thinking about their new blush one but haven't bought it yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You NEED to watch Buffy. It's amazing.

      I didn't really hear super wonderful things about the new blush palette. I'd watch some YouTube reviews before you buy just in case. I don't have Naked 2 because I figured I didn't NEED need it, but I do want it. Naked (OG) does well for me for now! I also have Naked Basics. I have an Urban Decay problem.

      Delete
  7. Glad I'm not the only one who found this collection kind of passable. It was pretty, but not exciting. I'm also loving that you're doing makeup posts lately, they're so much fun to read.

    I think I need to watch all of Buffy now, because that picture convinces me that I will love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks! I'm pretty into makeup that's not nail polish also.

      Yes, you will love Buffy. It is excellent. And on Netflix instant!

      Delete
  8. Your feelings about Euro Centrale are how I felt about last spring's Holland collection. Bleh. I'm more forgiving about EC because the colors are more in my wheelhouse. But I completely understand.

    I died at the Spike/Notre Dame reference. And Xander's facial expression reminds me of Jack Nicholson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked some of the Holland ones. Particularly the one with the Vinny van Giggles reference. I think I also have one of the blue sparkly ones. Something about Rotterdam.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!