Monday, March 04, 2013

Sephora by OPI I Only Shop Vintage

A few months ago I got a couple polishes at Sephora.  One of them I absolutely hated.  I hated it enough that I didn't want to blog it and I'm 100% sure I'll never wear it again (it's called Chamomile-ion to One; there was nothing wrong with the polish itself, I just really didn't like the color...in the bottle it looked like a lovely light pink with gold shimmer, but on the nail it was this really weird frosty gold with a pink tint.  it was bad).  After that I was sort of gun shy and I put off trying the other polish I bought.  But I finally did.



I really like this color.  It reminds me of a couple things, namely China Glaze Fast Track (which I love so, so much) and also China Glaze Golden Spurs (which I blogged about almost exactly two years ago to the day!).  I also found this great comparison, which justifies my owning both $OPI I Only Shop Vintage and Fast Track.  They actually are pretty different when you see them side-by-side, with the $OPI being way, way warmer.  I Only Shop Vintage is a lovely sort caramel/light brown/taupe/toffee-colored (godiwantcaramelandtoffee) base color just packed with gold shimmer.

If you were to ask me what my favorite brand of nail polish is I would say China Glaze every time.  But I always forget about $OPI.  Their formulas are always spot on and easy to apply, I love their brush, and every single polish I own from them only needs two coats.  They also last forever on me, which is a minor miracle with my body chemistry that just rejects every nail polish outright, sometimes after only 36 hours or so.  For the photos above I used two coats.  The only thing that $OPI has against it is its price.  It's more expensive than regular OPI polishes which is super annoying.  I can get China Glaze for like $4 online so it still has an edge over this idiosyncratic brand.  

Something is different about this manicure, too.  For a while I have been seeing my two pals Rach and Anna blog that they're using NYC Grand Central Station as a topcoat.  I did some research and found enough positive reviews to convince me that if it was good enough for Rach and Anna it would be good enough for me.  I went over to Duane Reade one day and picked up a bottle for $1.99.  I should probably wear it more than once before I give you my opinion, but I wore it for the first time over I Only Shop Vintage, and this manicure...actually hasn't chipped yet as I type this.  I've been wearing it for...let's see...five or six days.  $OPIs tend to do well on me anyway, but this, as I mentioned, is still a miracle.  NYC GCS also dried pretty quickly.  Not as quickly as Seche (but what does?), but after I watched an episode of The West Wing my nails were totally dry.  I also love the consistency of GCS, which is...very thin.  Nothing like Seche, and pretty easy to work with.  I am tentatively saying that due to price, wear time, availability and ease of use that NYC GCS is an epic win.  But I'll report back as I continue to use it.  

I have one funny story to tell you about from last week, and if you're friends with me on Facebook you already know the gist.  But, I was on the subway, wearing my bitchface as per usual, and this guy kept looking at me.  For a couple stops he was just...looking at me.  I got a little creeped out.  Then he got up, came over, and handed me a business card.  He was one of those slash people, guys.  Like, artist/dj/blogger/whatever.  But he told me he is an artist and that he has a tumblr of photos of New Yorkers.  And then he asked very, very nicely if he could take my photo.  I have a soft spot for "artists," so I agreed.  He did it really quickly once the subway stopped, told me that the photo would be up this afternoon, and then hopped off the train.  It was odd.  But, sure enough, I'm up there.
he labeled me as "high fidelity girl," which...is pretty great
you can find this tumblr at vandaleyesnyc.tumblr.com, and find me in the February archive.  I'm the last photo of last month

This is funny for a lot of reasons.  First, he picked me out as "a New Yorker," which, no.  Second, I was TOO COOL to take off my shades.  Next, I have a stupid Puma backpack next to me like I'm in grade school because I have to lug around books everywhere with me and my Longchamp bag just wasn't cutting it.  I'm still holding his business card here.  I asked him, "What should I do?"  He said, "Just be yourself."  So I gave him THIS FACE.  Oh, PS, I'm wearing the Urban Decay Super Saturated Lip Pencil in Glinda, which came in my Glinda palette (but it's also a dupe for Naked, which is a permanent color in the regular line) and I love it.  It is a perfect lip color for me (and I imagine for a lot of other skin tones as well).  Anyway, it was just a funny and sort of surreal experience.  But I really like the photo.  Every picture of me that has been taken in the past like three months features me wearing this coat, which is from ModCloth and is hands-down my favorite garment.

Okay, that's all.  Today is going to be...so tiring.  I'm going to the Jewish Theological Seminary for my Jerusalem in the Middle Ages seminar (which usually meets Fridays), then I have another class directly followed by ANOTHER CLASS.  Busy Mondays are the worst.

31 comments:

  1. I'm loving this polish on you! So pretty =)

    and yay yay yay for NYC GS! I'm wearing it right now, so impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is pretty! I like how I told you I don't like browns and then posted two browns in a row. Whoooooops.

      Delete
  2. Funny story. It's hard not to be creeped out and somewhat flattered at the same time by something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I didn't want to be a bitch and say no but I also wasn't sure he wasn't just a creep. Seems legit enough, though.

      Delete
  3. I often find the Sephora OPI colors at Marshalls. I'm not sure if you have a Marshalls where you are (I'm in AZ), but I've seen that same color there every time I've gone for about 3 bucks. It's a nice way to try out colors you might be on the fence about for a fraction of that high cost.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your photog/artist tale! We are all so critical of our own photos usually. But he saw something beyond what you are seeing. Least your backpack blended in being it's black...I have taken to carrying a Vera Bradley tote to toss all my stuff into and of course it's flowered and goes with nothing at all usually! And then I gave up ear buds cause they never stay in and I hear half sounds - so I have wacko hair sticking out from under my 2 'cans' of my headphones! No one taking my photos these days...but I was an often photoed hippie dancing chick in the late 60's and 70's dancing in long skirts/tops/beads and head-bands! I find myself every now and again still in those nostalgia books - guess it's better those are the photos out there of me vs. the really goofy ones from the 80's when no one seemed to look good with huge boyfriend jackets, hair over done, harsh makeup and on and on...Oh and I gave up buying OPI for Sephora polishes - way too many dup type shades - bulky bottles and lots of disappointing colors like you said - bottle to nail not translating or just bad formulas. It's gotten worse too since Coty bought out the co. Heh and you ARE a NYC gal (least for now....enjoy it while you can claim it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I maintain that he liked my coat :P

      Delete
  5. My nails reject all polish as well so I have to ask what base coat do you use? I can't wear China Glaze at all, peels off in sheets, OPI is one of the only brands that lasts more than a day on me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't even use a base here. Maybe that had something to do with it. Mine is getting really thick so I just decided to go without.

      Delete
  6. Ahahaha, wow, that is awesome.

    Looking at his blog, you got off way easier than "the ratchet twins".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually really like that photo of me, bitchface and all.

      Delete
  7. Seconding Katy's comment re: "the ratchet twins."

    In all fairness, I have to say Madeline's (quest4theholynail.blogspot.com) endorsement of NYC Grand Central Station on her previous blog is what piqued my interest in it. She knows what's up. But thank you! :D If GCS keeps Color Club, Revlon and MAC on me, it wins all the awards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems pretty good so far. I'll have to see how it works on me with different things. The true test would be RBL.

      Delete
  8. I really like $OPI. They do last forever on me and (this is gonna sound totally weird but whatever) I love how the bottle feels when I'm painting my nails. I just hate the price. Especially when I can get OPI for $4.50. That's $5 more for $OPI...the dollar sign is there for a reason I suppose. This color is nice though, and the name fits. Also, thanks for your intro about Chamillion to One. I was looking at it online and it looked nice but now I know not to buy it. Also (longest comment ever, I'm sorry haha) I love that picture of you! :) kinda creepy for some stranger to ask to take a picture of you but still cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a personal opinion about that polish that I HATED. But yeah, it looks totally different on the nail than it does in the bottle. I even tried it on my toes recently and I just couldn't get behind it.

      And thanks! I like the picture too.

      Delete
  9. Never heard anything about that NYC and am excited to check it out! I just had to revive my SV with an obscene amount of Restore. Thanks for the tip!

    I love your random photog story! There is something about that photo that looks so 70s chic to me, very young Diane Keaton!

    I'm excited for the next installment of your Grandmother's polish collection too, my Grandmother was BIG into Revlon Cherries in the Snow and I always feel like I'm closer to her whenever I reach for it. XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend it! Seche always goes gooey so quickly.

      70s chic is probably the biggest compliment I could ever hope to receive, so thank you! I know for a fact I was listening to The Eagles when he took that picture ;)

      There's another grandmother post going up on the 7th. I'm glad you're enjoying them!

      Delete
  10. Hello,

    This is Nicole from Born Pretty, We are a Nail Art retailer specialized in all kinds of latest nail art items and cosmetics.Our online store: www.bornprettystore.com

    If you are interested in reviewing our products, please feel free to contact me : )

    Email: blog@bornprettystore.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we've spoken once before, Nicole. I'll drop you a line.

      Thanks for thinking of me.

      Delete
  11. This is awesome! Every where I go, I always have my bitch face don't mess with me face on-I think that is hilarious that you stated that! you look good though-I don't take my glasses off either. So good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pretty much never take off my sunglasses on the subway.

      Delete
  12. Make Money online from home without investment, Just Register and click the ads and earn upto 10 Dollars Daily, The best and Legimate Earning Sites Ever you want
    ProBux.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best Beautiful Cars, Latest Hot Vehicles, Strange Cars, Super Cars Model, Funny Cars, Car Latest Models, Cars with Girls, Cars like helicopter and Most Speed and Expensive Cars
    WorldLatestVehicles.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Social Media Marketing is a very easy way for Marketing and Advertising, Now you can Get Facebook Likes, Twitter Followers, Favorites, Youtube Views,Subscribes,Likes, Google Plus Followers, Stumbleupon Followers, Digg Followers, Websites Visitors and Much More.
    Just Visit the Website and Start Promoting now without any Charges
    GetLikeFast.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Latest Hot Current Affairs, Entertainment News, Pictures, Videos, Latest Hot News updates, Business News, Online Marketing, Online Jobs, Mp3 Tunes, Latest Ringtones, Bollywood Girls, Entertainment Girls, Hot Girls and Most popular Affairs in the World
    Daily News updates about Latest and Hot Current Affairs
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. ralph lauren outlet In Uk - newest style Polo in 2013 for mens and womens,and buy ralph

    lauren other items with sale price also,free and fast shipping.

    cheap nike air max,nike air max sale,nike air max 90,nike air max classic,nike air max 90

    sale,nike air max 95,nike air max classic,nike air max 1,cheap nike air max trainers.

    mbt shoes uk,mbt shoes clearance,mbt shoes reviews,best price mbt shoes,mbt shoes stockists,mbt

    shoes back pain,cheap mbt shoes,mbt uk.

    Abercrombie ,Abercrombie londra,abercrombie italia, Hollister, gamma di prodotti, quantità

    , prezzo, velocità di rete, la facilità di acquisto, benvenuto al nostro sito web per acquistare il tuo abbigliamento preferito!

    Achetez en ligne des meilleures ventes d ,70% de réduction vente:Polo ralph lauren femme,chemise ralph lauren femme, la livraison gratuite.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lol is the Laugh out of Laugh where you can Fun Unlimited and Laughing Unlimited. Visit the Best Lol Network Ever, where you can every thing is lol and Funny, Troll Images, Funny Vidoes, Prank Peoples, Funny Peoples, Awkward Text, Prank Text, funny comics, Prank Images, Fail Pictures, Epic Pictures, Epic Videos, Prank Videos, Fail Videos and Much More Fun and Entertainment
    lolsgag.com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!