Wednesday, April 17, 2013

China Glaze Blooming Brights Chevron Attempt

Let's talk about procrastination.  I have been in school for a long time.  As a student with third-year standing in a doctoral program (and still doing coursework) I can tell you that I've become good at a couple things.  First, surviving on only massive amounts of caffeine.  Second, procrastinating.  I have a presentation this Friday, which means that Friday is going to come way sooner than I want it to.  I'm doing pretty well preparing, though.  I spent last weekend writing up a storm, and yesterday and today are are also writing days.  Yesterday I woke up all rarin' to go when I thought I would just do my nails instead.  Not only did I feel like doing my nails, apparently I also felt like doing them with a tiny paintbrush.  So, this happened.






That last picture washed out my hands a lot, but I like that you can see the shimmer in the bottle.  So this is my first attempt at this type of manicure, which is a deviation of the half-moon using chevrons.  A few things went wrong, but overall I'm happy with it.  The base is China Glaze Snap My Dragon (which sounds dirty, but I suspect isn't meant to be) and the main color here is China Glaze Fancy Pants.  So clearly Fancy Pants didn't cover well in some spots.  That's my fault, but it's really only noticeable close-up like this.  I freehanded the lines using a little brush:


It wasn't as much of a pain in the ass as I thought it might be, actually.  Against all odds, my right hand (my dominant hand) looks pretty decent too.  I like the almost art deco feel this has to it, and I can't wait to try it again.  

In terms of the polishes, the formula on both was really nice.  I've seen people describe Snap My Dragon as a red with pink shimmer, but to me it just looks straight-up fuchsia with more pink shimmer.  Fancy Pants is freaking incredible, sort of an indigo color with pink shimmer throughout.  


They came next to each other in the Blooming Brights half of Avant Garden and I thought they really needed to be used together in a manicure.  

So, chevrons:  semi-success.
Procrastination:  EPIC SUCCESS.

Alright, back to the grind.

10 comments:

  1. nice!

    follow you:)

    please follow me :)

    www.beautyandfashion-makeup.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is very successful! Much better than I could do. I especially like your color combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm dying over the colors. So pretty together.

      Delete
  3. I'm so good at procrastination as well. I'm always better under pressure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I get older I realize I'm also better under pressure. I never used to be like that, though.

      Delete
  4. I prefer the term "clutch performer." :)

    And this manicure ... me gusta, but damn it, because now I need Snap My Dragon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very pretty, but I'm sure a dupe must exist.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!