Thursday, April 25, 2013

China Glaze Sunday Funday

If you have been reading this blog for a while, you know that blue polishes are generally not my favorite polishes.  So color me surprised when I fell hard for the two blues in the brights half of China Glaze Avant Garden.  The first one was Fancy Pants, and I used it for some chevron nail art here.  This next one is Sunday Funday, and it looks like a cloudless blue sky.  But I couldn't leave well enough alone because cremes on their own bore me lately.  So, this:




I did two coats of Sunday Funday on my pointer and pinky finger (also my ring, middle, and pinky on the other hand).  Then I took Shimmer Polish Linna, which is a predominantly green glitter embellished with red, silver, gold, and blue glitter, and used three coats on its own on my middle and ring finger (and ring and thumb on the other hand).  Oh, and then I also threw some glitter down by my cuticles.  It's not exactly a gradient because I only did one layer, but it looks neat.  The whole effect actually looks better in the shade than in the sun, at least in photos.  I think in the sun it's too blingy and the camera didn't like it.  

The formula on the China Glaze was great.  Very easy to work with and very pigmented.  Linna was also easy to work with, and it built up to a decent opacity on its own.  I was really pleased with this combination!  I couldn't stop staring at my hands yesterday.  Sadly Sunday Funday chipped on my thumb pretty quickly, so I think this manicure isn't long for this world.

The other day (Tuesday) I was working on a paper (and I mean, we're talking nascent stages) when my computer was like, hey girl, you should probably plug me in.  I have six minutes left.  So I got my charger, plugged it in, and...nothing.  I tried another outlet.  Still nothing.  So my power cord died.  I was "stuck" not working on anything all night because I didn't have my computer available, so Tuesday was kind of a wash.  Then yesterday I woke up and went to the Apple Store for a new cord.  I meant to do work after that, but I walked through Central Park instead.  I walked through Central Park for three hours.  I think I'm just totally checked out, guys.  Somewhere along the line I decided that my mental health was more important than my academics.  And I should have realized that long, long ago. I did come home late in the afternoon and work on my medieval paper for a few hours, but my dedication waned, and here I am writing this blog post instead.  I don't know how to motivate myself to do everything I have to do.  I know why I'm so apathetic, but it's not time for me to divulge this to you all yet.  That will come in June when plans are more solid.  But for now...yikes.  I'm in trouble.

But I took this picture yesterday and I kind of like it.


It was such a nice day.  Just barely jacket weather.  I set a goal for myself that by Sunday I will be totally done with my medieval paper (edited, footnotes formatted, bibliography done, images formatted).  That way I can basically totally forget about one class.  Maybe I'll feel better about it things then if I feel like I have less to do instead of having all these plates spinning at the same time.  Yeah, we'll go with that.

Now I'm rambling so I'm out.  I hope you guys are having nice weather where you are, too.

Disclosure:  products in this post provided for review consideration.

15 comments:

  1. nice!

    www.beautyandfashion-makeup-blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty blue. Glitter adds to the mani. Sadly Im over blue and glitter. It's still cute. -L.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I'm just getting into blue. I don't know, I can't tell. Maybe it's just because of springtime.

      Delete
  3. Good for you, girl! I work with a lot of graduate students who prioritize their studies over their mental health, and it's always a mistake. Believe me when I say that no academic achievement is worth being miserable. So good on ya, and I hope the plans you mentioned are fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sadly this means I have been really slacking on schoolwork, and I've been a student long enough that that makes me feel really guilty.

      Delete
  4. I did not pick up Sunday Funday - most all of the collection looked like polishes I had already or close to them - but that's happening a lot to me now - I have polish dating back to the early 90's in my stash and from the mid 2000's on - you start to get a ton of dupes and same polishes even just different names within lines - but Sunday Funday looks a lot like OPI Fly to me - I need to find a side by side comparion to see if my mind's eyeballs lead me right on this one. Blues and teals can be tricky - look like they are close and they are but still different. Unless blues/teal are you thing you don't need em all - I am like you on blues - I can do with a smattering - range of navy's - range of med blues -I do like cornflower blues a lot - power blue love but looks horrible on me (lobster hands)...but get me around magentas and fuchsias and I can not get enough - I see all the nuances in them - my fav are the ones with glass flecks and gold shimmer and blue flash...not all of em in the same magenta but you get my drift. I keep saying no more hauling home 20 new polishes until I get through mine and make a database for dups and figure out what to do with more than 500-700 dupes (maybe more - not sure how many there are). Once I free up all that dup space and clean out the non dups that I really don't want but picked up for X reason like running into OPI What's With the Catitude and knowing how many folks love it and how HTF it is - I had to grab it - could not leave it on the shelf there at the store where it sat almost laughing at me saying you don't look good in power blue but here is one of the best powder blues and VHTF - na-na-na-na-nana! Ugh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you ever want to get rid of any of those dupes do let me know! ;)

      I didn't know What's with the Cattitude was VHTF. Is it the entire Shrek collection or just that polish? I see the resemblance to OPI Fly here, but I don't have that one so I can't compare. Really, this blue isn't unique. But I have so few blues that I don't mind that.

      Delete
    2. I just did a comparison between OPI Fly, China Glaze Sunday Funday and OPI Can't Find My Czechbook: you can check it out on my blog!

      What's With The Cattitude is the big lemming from the Shrek Collection. Rumple's Wiggin' is a little hard to find but very do-able.

      Love the Central Park pic and love that you did the Shimmer polish on the nude and not over Sunday Funday <3

      Delete
    3. Nice comparison. So it's really not like Fly!

      Delete
  5. Love this look. Creme's tend to bore me lately as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that weird? Sometimes I love cremes and sometimes I feel merpy about them.

      Delete
  6. You're so lucky to have New York to wander through when you're lacking motivation in the studying! Kind of green with envy here in Australia..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear about the school work woes, but hey, you've got some damn amazing nails right there!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!