Monday, April 29, 2013

Full-On Monet

So, nail art.  I...can't really do it.  But I had been wanting to try the "watercolor" technique, where you basically just use acetone to thin the polish and then slop it all over your nails, for a while.  I have to say, it was pretty easy.  




with my favorite accessory

The polishes I used were:  OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls as a base, followed by a thick coat of Seche Vite, and then China Glaze Passion for Petals, Mimosa's Before Mani's [sic], and Tart-y for the Party.  I should probably pause for a second to tell you how totally horrified I am by "Mimosa's Before Mani's."  So hey, China Glaze, if you need a copy editor, I have a lot of writing experience, my grammar is pretty fantastic, and I love nail polish.  E-mail me.

Okay, anyway.  I used two coats of MBSW, topped it with a thick coat of topcoat, and let it dry.  The topcoat is important because you're going to be brushing acetone onto your nails, and it'll prevent that acetone from totally eating away at your base color.  Then I grabbed a little paintbrush and poured acetone into a bottle cap.  I placed dots of polish on my nail, wet the brush with acetone, and then sort of smeared the color around.  I did one color at a time for all ten nails.  This turned out more marbled paper than watercolor, but I still really like it.  I saw this and I was all:


I'm probably going to try this again as soon as this manicure chips, so look forward to that.

This past weekend I went to the Brooklyn Botanic Gardens with a friend.  I didn't take that many pictures at all, but it was still nice to walk around and smell the flowers.  Even though it was really crowded.  Even in Brooklyn I can't escape from the crowds.  But it was still a really pleasant day.

cherry blossoms
this little turtle was sun-worshipping
 I don't know what this is; maybe a magnolia?
I loved these little fish
And it was finally warm enough for me to wear my favorite dress!!
Which is this dress:
Anthropologie, Burgeoning Hypericum Dress, spring 2012

Aaaaand here begins a rant.  Last night I had a total fucking nervous breakdown over my German class.  Everyone is frustrated with that class.  It went from like 25 people at the beginning of the semester down to 9.  Each person has begun to show her (or his) frustration in different ways (one person has become openly belligerent toward our teacher).  On Thursday our teacher told us that in order to pass the exam we'd have to be translating German (and this is academic German we're talking here, not stuff like the quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog) for three hours every single day.  And she told us all of these things about how it'll be super difficult to pass and even when she has given students take-home exams more than half of them still fail.  But the thing is, you guys, that she gives out SO MUCH HOMEWORK.  And so I do the homework, and then she doesn't go over it.  Or she'll hand out homework in class but then e-mail more homework  that looks the same as the homework she already gave out but is slightly different grammatically or something.  So I just have piles and piles and PILES of German homework that I have done but we haven't gone over.  I don't know if it's right or wrong and I don't...know anything.  Yesterday we had an extra review session where we went over a translation, and I basically just shut down.  Like, confronted with this wall of never-ending work that rarely gets checked or corrected, then I have to translate for a minimum of three hours a day for a test I probably won't pass?  Why even try anymore?  

I had told my teacher at the beginning of April that I wanted to drop the class because it's just too much for me with a full-time course load plus fellowship working hours (I do about 18 a week).  But she convinced me to stay in the class.  And now I regret it.  So I told her yesterday that I thought I just wouldn't take the final.  Because why not just remove that source of stress?  Why put myself through this?  She told me to just relax about it.  BUT I CAN'T.  It's like, you can't tell someone that it'll be fine and they need to relax but then dump HEAPS AND HEAPS OF WORK on them and threateningly inform them that they need to be practicing something for a pretty unreasonable amount of time EVERY DAY.  I'm sorry, but I'm not a scholar of German literature.  I just need a basic knowledge of the language to be able to decode the occasional German text I might read.  And, real talk:  I cry on the subway on my way home from German almost every Monday and Thursday.  Because it's horrifyingly difficult and the time commitment is just too much right now.  What I really wish is that someone had told me that I should NEVER take a language during the semester, but that I should devote summer to it.  But no.  I was told it would be "manageable."  MANAGEABLE FOR WHO?

And yes, I could have spent the time it took me to write that rant translating one German sentence.  But writing that rant was better.

Okay, I'm out.  I have to try to survive my second-to-last Monday before school's over.  I don't even know if I can do it.  I wish I could skip Monday and go straight to Tuesday.  But until I figure out how to do that, I'm just going to drink massive amounts of coffee.  As per usual.

14 comments:

  1. Totally reminds me of cherry blossoms! I tried this once but I thought it looks odd against my brown skin LOL. O_O That dress is adorable btw. Have a good week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it looked awesome against your skin! :P

      Delete
  2. Whoa, I'm a German major (undergrad, though) and I've never seen anything like that. Shame your class is so incredibly awful because it's a beautiful language, and every single German class I've taken has been amazing! Don't let one bad teacher ruin your exposure to the language! That is pretty ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah...the thing is that it doesn't HAVE TO BE awful. Like, it could be more organized. I can't speak a word of German but I have to be able to read it with relative ease.

      Delete
    2. She definitely sounds like a lousy teacher. Assigning homework that never gets checked tells me that she's covering for her own inadequacies by trying to hide them under an avalanche of pointless busy work. Do you guys get to review your teachers post finals? Because I'd have plenty to say about how poorly this one 'teaches'...and I use the term loosely.

      Delete
    3. Actually I really like her as a person. She's kind of wonderful and very funny and, superficially at least, very understanding. But yeah, she's totally disorganized and that's what the problem is. She's been teaching the same class for a long time, and if she's like this every semester then I'm shocked someone hasn't complained about it yet.

      Delete
  3. Hang in there. I used to cry most nights on the way home from the law firm, but I got enough experience and some clients and left to do my own thing (and now sleep well at night). Hang on and you'll get into a better place too. One day at a time, one foot after the other.

    Love your blog. I'm from Michigan (still there), so we really have the same climate as Ohio, and I check your posts for polishes I'm wondering about (tried SH Resurrection when I found it on sale after your post - great color and formula, thank you for bringing it to mind).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hanging as well as I can...pretty much by a very thin thread.

      Thanks! Midwest ftw!

      Delete
  4. that sucks about the german class! ive been in that situation before and it makes me feel trapped. cute mani :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm in a similar boat-close to graduating, JUST finished an agonizingly long thesis, and am being told by professors that if I want to pass my last exams, I'm going to have to sell my soul to satan, or something.

    But hang in there, it'll be over with soon! I plan on jumping into my boyfriend's pool and remaining there the rest of the summer.

    And can I say, thank you for what you do! Your blog has been my favorite for the last year, at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet, thank you. I feel like I sold my soul to the art history gods long ago.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Finals in graduate school are conducive to neither breathing, sleeping, or eating.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!