Tuesday, April 23, 2013

OPI Play the Peonies

This is not a polish I would have chosen for myself.  Ben actually picked it out because he's really into mega-girly colors, and he mentioned that he thought it would look nice on my toes.  He likes participating in this hobby and I think the effort is sweet.  But anyway, this color really does remind me of pink peonies.  I also embellished it a little because I couldn't resist.





So Play the Peonies is a pearly very, very light pink.  I was worried that brushstrokes might be an issue but they didn't turn out to be.  This was three coats.  I received a bunch of Shimmer Polishes to consider for review quite a while ago, and so I decided to do a glitter gradient from the cuticle with Tiffany, which is a blue and pink glitter.  It's very cute.  This is the first time I've done a gradient starting from the cuticle instead of the free edge, and I have to say that I'm pretty obsessed with it.  It looks a lot better IRL than it does in these pictures, and the pink on pink with touches of blue looks so adorable.  The gradient effect makes it look ethereal and princess-y.  

I like peonies.  My parents have a bush in their backyard and in the springtime my mom used to give me a pair of scissors and tell me to cut some for a vase in the kitchen.  But she always had to tell me to shake the ants off first.  I guess ants particularly enjoy those flowers.  Anyway, that's a spring memory I like.  I've thought of incorporating peonies into my wedding bouquet, but I'm not sure.  It's too early to think about that stuff anyway.  I find myself thinking about that stuff a lot.  Ben and I picked out our little save-the-date cards this week, and that felt nice.  I got to cross something off my list.

It's the end of the semester now but it's not like the very end of the semester, and yet I still feel like this:


I expect it has a lot to do with my depression, which still hasn't lifted.  I seem to be feeling it more acutely this week.  Lately I sleep all the time and never want to go out or socialize at all.  Maybe "sleep all the time" isn't right.  I'm in bed all the time.  I have trouble sleeping.  And lately when I do I have really fucked up dreams, which is unusual for me.  Or at least it's unusual for me to remember them.  Anyway, complain complain.  And I'm done now.

Maybe I just need some peonies to brighten up my apartment.

Disclosure:  products in this post provided for review consideration.  

23 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous! I love the glitter gradient.

    I hope you feel better soon, although I know it's much easier said than done. I'm in a bit of a depression myself and i feel like my antisocial tendencies are making it worse :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah. I made a date to hang out with someone this weekend in an effort to curb my hermit-ness. It was even hard for me to make a plan.

      Delete
  2. This looks so pretty! I am obsessed with this sort of glitter gradient, which I was surprised about because I've never liked them when I've tried the french-tip kind. I tried it for the first time in my Christmas mani this year with Essie Waltz and CG Party Hearty (stolen *exactly* from here:http://glitterandnails.blogspot.com/2011/12/essie-waltz-china-glaze-party-hearty.html - turns out the best part of learning French? Double the polish blogs to read, and I can pass it off as practicing my language skills.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Party Hearty in all possible incarnations. It's so great. And yeah, I do like gradients from the free edge, but I think I like this kind better. ALTHOUGH ones starting from the tips are good for disguising tipwear!

      Delete
  3. This is definitely more cute with the glitter. I bought Play the Peonies when it came out, and never used it, so I purged it. I've been on a weird anti-pink-polish kick recently that is slightly troublesome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my, you not liking pink means there's trouble afoot.

      By itself I think it might be kind of a snooze. But I'll try it on my toes and see if I like it there.

      Delete
  4. Love, love, love this polish combination!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love that shade!

    Sónia,
    www.ladystudio.pt/blog

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, peonies are lovely flowers (I had no idea which they were before the pictures haha)!

    I'm so sorry you're feeling badly. I know when I went through it, I also spent a lot of time in bed, but slept poorly. I was pretty miserable. I hope you get a respite soon enough. Either way, you are loved, and you should feel like you can come on your blog and vent anytime (it is your space, after all!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. I've tried to cool it talking about any super stuff on here. In a few weeks I'll make some announcements and feel freer to discuss things, I think.

      Delete
  7. Gorgeous NOTD! I hope your depression lifts, I can totally identify with you, same thing has been happening to me :/

    Blindly Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks. Especially since the weather is so nice. I really should go out.

      Delete
  8. We had a peony plant in the front yard - we called it the "ant plant"! I love them, too, and I love pink, so I snatched this color up right away. But I don't like it on my nails as much as I thought I would. Maybe I just need to enhance it a bit...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a weird color. Light pink but also with maybe a drop of gray to it? I don't know. Also it's that pearl finish that was so popular in the 90s. I know because...I was a nail-polish-wearin' middle schooler in the 90s, and this stuff is all I wore. Plus Buffy has archived it for all time.

      Delete
  9. I really really love this mani. It's exactly like you said, ethereal and princess-y in all the best ways. I always want to do manis like this but alas I own very few true/just glitter polishes because looking at them makes me think about taking them off and that makes me so annoyed I decide it's not even worth owning something pretty and fun. Sigh.

    I'm quite impatiently awaiting whatever news it is you have to tell, but I do hope your depression starts looking up soon. I've been thinking about making a trip back up to NYC soon, I'd love to see you if you're in town!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to avoid glitter too, but now I just embrace the foil method of removal and I don't worry about it!

      I'll be here through July...when are you planning on coming? We can get more macaroons.

      Delete
    2. I need to join the foil train. I was thinking sometime in June, I'll keep you posted on further plans. And yes, macaroons foreverrrr!

      Delete
    3. Keep me updated! Just shoot a text whenever. You know I'm always good for cookies!

      Delete
  10. I own this polish. It does not look good with brown skin tones IMO. It reminds me of something grandmothers where but I like the way you used it.
    L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe, it does kind of remind me of grandmas. Now I really want to put it on my toes and see what I think of it there.

      Delete
  11. Internet Online System is very usefull and Billions of Peoples use Internet and Many of the peoples want to make money online from home and make online business for a life time
    We have the best Online earning System with Data Entry Jobs, Online Jobs, Network Marketing, SMS Earning, and Much More Online Work From home, Skype : Jobz.Corner
    JobzCorner.Com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!