Monday, April 22, 2013

Revlon Just Tinted Victorian (Jelly Sammy)

Months and months ago now, my pal Ange sent me a care package of coral and pink goodness because she knows how I roll.  Also last week Rach was basically like, hey y'all remember ChG White Cap?  And I was all, holy balls yes.  So I dug it out (it's one of the few polishes I brought with me from CLE and one of the only polishes of which I own a backup).  I used Revlon Just Tinted Victorian from Ange to make a little sandwich with White Cap, and I think it turned out really nicely.  Reminds me of a good sunset.  Observe.






one of my paper topics for this semester, Martin Johnson Heade's hummingbird paintings, which I love.  Isn't he cute?

So, Victorian is a jelly that dries to a satin finish.  This is pretty awesome because that means it dries super quickly.  It's also very sheer.  I did one coat of Victorian, waited a minute, did a coat of White Cap, waited another minute, and then did a last coat of Victorian.  I used Seche as topcoat to really make it shine.  I'm bummed I didn't get any pictures of this one in the sun.  It was one of those semi-overcast days when I wore this and every time I picked up my camera the sun vanished.  Anyway, I think this looks nice and feminine but not at all boring.  There's some visible nail line here because of how sheer both polishes are, but I don't mind.  It's not too noticeable at all.  

I probably don't have to tell the rest of you that last week was a nightmare.  I can't imagine what it was like for those of you in and around Boston.  I woke up on Monday morning to a text message from my best friend, Sam, about how it was Patriots' Day and about how everybody in Boston takes the day off to go watch the marathon.  From that text I was unclear about whether or not she was going...which didn't seem to matter at the time.  Fast forward to a few hours later and I'm at the library reading the news.  I saw the headlines pop up in real time about the bombings.  Immediately I panicked.  In the time it took me to frantically search through my bag to get my phone I saw a message from Sam pop up:  "Someone bombed the Boston Marathon."  When I saw the message I knew she was okay.  Then I could start worrying about my other two really good friends at Brandeis and Tufts (and they're okay).  But I was on edge all week.  And on Friday night when things started unfolding with the manhunt I was glued to a live feed of a Boston police scanner.  When I heard, "Suspect in custody, suspect in custody, medic, medic!" I breathed a huge sigh of relief.  Minutes later the major news networks followed.  Relief was followed, for me, by sadness.  Because of the victims of all of this violence.  Because the suspect is 19.  Because he's still a kid.  And who knows what he was thinking and why this happened.  I wanted to write about this because, more than anything, this blog is a journal about my life and what's going on with me.  And this impacted me in a way I didn't think it would, even being so far away in New York.  

At any rate, I found it really hard to concentrate all week last week.  But I was glad to cross this bad boy off my calendar:
yeah, I have a silly cat calendar; wanna fight about it?

The date of April 19 has been haunting me since February, so I was glad to give my ridiculously long presentation and be done with it.  It went fine, and it should have.  Because I spent forever preparing for it.  Taking seminars on an unfamiliar topic is really difficult.  This one is about medieval Jerusalem, and medieval is my least favorite area of art history.  Or at least it was.  The object I'm writing my paper on is Islamic, and I've gotten really into the research.  I like it a lot.  I surprised myself with how interesting I was finding all of it.  Now I have to finish the paper and incorporate comments from my presentation.  I'll be glad when I hand it in on May 10 and I can focus on my other paper for my other class (see bird above).  Things are getting pretty smooshed together now, as they tend to do at the end of the semester.  German final May 9 (and seriously, FML with that one because learning German and taking two other classes and working is not going well for me at all), hummingbird presentation on May 6, medieval paper due May 10.  That's going to be an interesting week for sure.

Anyway, I hope you and your loved ones are all okay.  Senseless acts of violence can happen anywhere, and I know that I would have given anything to have hugged my family members and my fiance when all that scary shit was going down.  Here's hoping this week is miles and miles better.

8 comments:

  1. oh my GOD i love that combination. now i have to go copy it (if i can find my bottle of white cap). That is fabulous. So glad all your friends are ok. I actually thought about your friend Sam when i was reading abt the events going on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please copy away! I'd love to see how this would look on you.

      And Sam appreciates all love sent her way.

      Delete
  2. I'm sad I never got these Revlons but I'm happy your loved ones are okay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure they're around somewhere!

      And thanks.

      Delete
  3. Beeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaautiful. White Cap is THE BUSINESS.

    And I'm so glad your friends are OK! I was partially unplugged when the craziness went down last week (that is, all I had was Twitter), but that may be just as well because the reporting was so embarrassing. I'm glad you brought up Boston because I'm constantly struggling with the question of whether it's appropriate to keep posting during events like last week's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, CNN was like WHAAATTT. It was bad.

      Delete
  4. I love that hummingbird painting! So pretty. I hope all your school work is over soon! Sounds like a hard week to me,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. To quote one of my classmates: "I don't even know how May is going to happen."

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!