Friday, April 12, 2013

Sally Hansen Salon Resurrection (Prabal Gurung)

I think it's finally spring in New York.  Last weekend, even though I was still really sick and hopped up on DayQuil (DON'T WORRY, mom; I only took it a few days), I was struck by this insatiable desire to walk.  So I did.  Last Friday afternoon after my class I walked about 30 blocks down 5th from the upper east side to midtown.  I walked without my jacket on and I got my first frozen yogurt from a yogurt truck with fresh fruit.  Saturday I had to really focus on research, but on Sunday I again walked from the upper east side way down to Grand Central.  Then I took the train back to Harlem and walked all the way through its east side back to my apartment.  On my way I stopped at a Duane Reade to get a salad for dinner, and I of course checked out the nail polish.  And there I found the spring 2013 Sally Hansen Salon designer collaboration collection.  I had no idea which polishes were associated with which designers, but I immediately wanted Resurrection.  I was about to talk myself out of it when I noticed a coupon on the display for $2 off.  That sealed the deal and the polish came home with me.


I later learned via Google that Resurrection is a Prabal Gurung polish.  It's a beautiful, moody sort of slate blue.  Application and formula were flawless, and this is two coats plus NYC GCS.  My fancy camera's battery died in the middle of taking pictures of this one, so I had to make due with my iPhone camera because I just wanted to get it done.  Regardless, the photos are decently color accurate.  As you can see, it does dry on the nail a bit darker than it appears in the bottle.  I put this one on my toes, too.  I'm really glad I bought it.  It reminds me of those it's-about-to-rain April skies, so it really is perfect for springtime.

This past week I had some bright spots.  The biggest one came on Tuesday when my boss took me out for a night on the lower east side.  I have been talking to her a little about how unhappy I've been, how I miss Ben, how I'm poor, etc etc, and she planned a night to cheer me up, which was incredibly thoughtful.  We went for drinks at a sake bar after work (I had [almost] THE BEST Bloody Mary there--my dad, of course, makes the best ones).  Also that day it got up to like 80 degrees in the city, so walking around without my coat and with bare legs was awesome.  She also took me to Economy Candy, where I got a bulk bag of Sour Patch Kids (that is something that always brightens my day--favorite ever candy).  She got us reservations at Mission Chinese, which was named one of the 10 hottest restaurants IN THE WORLD by Zagat, so it was kind of a big deal that I got to go.

The food was phenomenal.  The company was great.  The conversation was lovely.  I laughed and drank and ate and ate and ate.  And also, NBD, but we ate dinner next to Anne Burrell.  Mission Chinese has less than twenty tables in it and there she was, chilling with who I assume was her partner. Cue awkward picture:

Although it was dark in there and sort of blurry, it was definitely her.  Trust.  And she raved about the food to the waiter, so I guess, aside from my own taste buds, that's how we REALLY KNOW that Mission Chinese is the awesome.

The next morning I was returning something to the New York Public Library and had a really nice stroll down 5th.  It was 70 degrees and sunny.  It was a small joy.
 flowers on 5th with the perpetual backdrop of cabs, cabs, cabs
And last night I saw a little girl and her dad with a huge bunch of balloons on the subway.  Which was just cute.
So, this week had its moments for sure.  It also had its stressful moments.  I'm going to be bummed out all day today because it's my anniversary with Ben.  It's our anniversary and we can't see each other.  And we probably won't really be able to talk to each other.  He's still working out of town and can't really talk during the day, so our communication is staggered at best and non-existent at worst.  Missing him is so much worse when I can't even say hey how's your day and expect a response within an hour. Of course that isn't his fault.  It's just a shitty reality right now.  At least we'll have many more anniversaries to come.  The date will change, I suppose.  We're planning on getting married in September (of 2014).  But maybe we'll always celebrate April 12 as the day he and I became us.
This is probably my favorite picture of us even though it's grainy and Facetime-y (hey look, there's my forehead; long time no see).  It's from the beginning of last July when we went to a wedding together.  The memory of this moment is vivid for me.  Right after we took this picture they started playing Kiss From A Rose and he sang it to me.  And I laughed and kissed him.  And I was so happy in a way that I had never been before.  

Anyway, today will definitely be a struggle.  But all I can do is get through it.

18 comments:

  1. This is gorgeous on you!

    And yayyyyy for setting a date! I empathize with you about not being with the one you love on special days. I have yet to spend a Christmas with Bryant.

    Sending love & hugs. (and ECS cat snuggles)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I at least had Christmas morning with Ben before I had to kick him out because of my mom's stomach flu!

      Delete
  2. Ok, so I live in NYC and if I ever see you I'm going to go up to you and hug you. OK, that sound it very stalkie and psycho. But I so know about being lonely here. I was away from the Hubs too - he actually was in NY and I was in another state. Just know how lucky you guys are to be together and the day will come when you can look back at all of this and say: we made it thru. HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this blue. I wore it for Easter because I thought the name was appropriate. I too found it with the coupon, and it was the last bottle of this color in the display.

    And I'm a little jealous of your walking in New York. Not too jealous, though, because I'm planning to visit a friend and my brother there in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have worn it for Easter since I was watching zombies--finale of The Walking Dead. Also appropriate.

      Delete
  4. Hi again!
    Absolutely. Just let me know when you are available. I know too well how daunting being here can/still is.
    There is a few places I have yet to see such as The Cloisters and the highland park (the one on the train tracks).
    Let me know :)


    Patricia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll let you know. I do love The Cloisters.

      Delete
  5. Great pics :) Love that nail color!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the polish! Also sidenote, I am getting married in August (2014) so yay for wedding planning! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. August! Man, you're brave. I hate the heat.

      Delete
  7. Celebrate both days! We do still, after more than 20 years. 11/10 and 9/19. September 19th is a great day to get married by the way, lol.

    Glad you had such great fun on your night out, and what an awesome place to have dinner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sandi, I'm announcing my wedding date in a post tomorrow!

      Delete
    2. I see that you did, lol. The 20th will be a wonderful day. Now, your mantra for the next 17 months is 'Don't sweat the small stuff.'. It will be beautiful, I promise. The little stumbles (like forgetting your wedding license at home when you're having the wedding 150 miles away) all become fun stories everyone chuckles over. The most important parts will all be there, you, Ben and your love.

      Delete
    3. Haha, that does sound like a fun story!

      Delete
  8. I hope you made it through the day ok! I love Anne Burrell but her hair is a mess! Did she see you take her picture? I always wonder about that etiquette. Do you pretend you're taking a pic of something else or since she's famous is it just a given people snap shots? These are things I ponder late at night, in the dark. Hanahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think she saw me. I tried to be sneaky. I know, her hair is wackadoo. So strange.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!