Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Sinful Colors Orange Cream

Guys, I'm sorry for my diatribe yesterday about learning to read German.  But to my credit, it's been a while since I published a good grad school rant.  Reading German is like a rite of passage for doctoral students in the humanities, and it's just such a huge pain in the ass.  To make up for it I will show you one crappy picture of a new Sinful Colors polish.



Yep, just one picture.  That's all you get.  It's the only one that turned out decently.  I had sort of an issue with this polish because when I opened it I could see that there was some black powdery junk on the lip of the bottle.  Not sure what it is--maybe plastic from the cap?  (Also, if you look hard enough on the internet you can always find someone else sharing your complaints--and here's someone who found black powdery stuff on this polish, too.  What gives, Sinful?)  At any rate, it got into the polish while I was using it and you can kind of tell in the photo.  I'm pretty sure that this was two coats.  It may have been three on some nails because I had cuticle drag.  I really like the color.  It's sort of a cross between coral and cantaloupe.  The spring collection this is from is called Sugar Rush, and I think this color fits well.  It reminds me of a creamsicle, a little.  

On my way home last night I was reading this book on the subway about the Brazilian Imperial Academy in the nineteenth century and I ran across this paragraph: 
"The works of art themselves have traditionally been disavowed as merely derivative copies of artistic styles in Europe and often ridiculed for their tendency to lag many years behind the prevailing European fashion...[S]uch a critique is, of course, based on the kind of teleological reading of the evolution of art towards Modernism which is, hopefully, completely discredited by now.  The multiple and complex ways in which artists outside Europe have responded to European artistic models and translated their formal values into something meaningful to their own cultures is surely what really matters to anyone interested in the development of a unified network of Western art over the past few centuries.  To despise past attempts to come to terms with the all-encomapssing process known as modernisation is indeed a short-sighted, if not a blatantly foolish, cultural strategy" (65).

Sometimes I have serious nerd moments and I guess this is one of them.  I highlighted the whole paragraph and wrote, THIS IS AWESOME.  I love snarky writing like that in academic texts.  Maybe someday I can be a snarky art historian (key word:  maybe).

And with that I'm off to try to insert snarky sentences into an already-mostly-written paper, and then to keep working on another paper.  And by "keep working on" I actually mean start.  So, whoops.

14 comments:

  1. The fact that you actually created a label for "nerdy stuff" means now you have to have more posts with nerdy stuff. I totally get your excitement when you read a particularly snarky passage in a scholarly text. It doesn't happen in medical journals very much but that's what we have conferences for...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually shocked I didn't already have a nerdy stuff tag. But also this may be the last nerdy thing on here for a while.

      Delete
  2. I've had the same issues with Sinful Colors. This color is really pretty though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A ton of people have been telling me this is normal for Sinful but I've NEVER had it happen to me! Maybe I've just been lucky.

      Delete
  3. I always get that weird stuff on the twisty part. I really hate it and have to check before I buy a SC. Most of the newer polishes actually have that stuff on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, 'keep working on' almost always means 'start working on' in college. I really like this color! And I've never experienced that with Sinful...weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally understand the not wanting to learn German rant! I almost went for a PhD in Classics (specifically Latin) but then I decided that I REALLY didn't want to learn German. So, I chose law school instead. Also, snarky academia is the BEST. Please keep including nerdy moments in your posts! They are a great distraction from the two papers that I'm supposed to be "working on" :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. Man, I love Latin. I've taken a lot of Latin in my day and I still remember a lot of it. German is similar, but the word order is way stranger. It's still declension based, though.

      To sum up: yuck.

      Delete
  6. Is this polish more orange than pink? It looks pink-y in your picture, but I've seen some others where it looks more orange. Either way, it's so pretty!

    And I also looove snarky academic writing. It makes being educated worth it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would say it's more orange than pink, yes. But it definitely has a good amount of pink in it. It's almost like an orange-leaning salmon color? But pastel? I dunno, it's pretty.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!