Sunday, April 07, 2013

The Tess Collection: SH Nail Prisms Blush Diamond

Today would have been my grandmother's 90th birthday.  I saved this polish to show you on this day because it was her favorite.  She used it all the time, and she had it on her nails when she died.  When I noticed the bottle at her house once I told her that it was kind of a big deal.  Sally Hansen Nail Prisms are basically dollar store gold, and I don't own any myself.  She told me that I could have it, but I left it with her.  Now I have it anyway.





this bottle has been very loved

My cuticles are insanely dry because I had just removed my Shellac manicure, which of course requires 100% acetone.  So forgive me.  Anyway, Blush Diamond is a light pink holo.  It's a scattered holo that still manages to look linear in strong sunlight.  It's gorgeous.  The formula with this bottle was super thick because it's half empty.  Next time I use it I'll thin it.  Despite that I used two coats here and it covered just fine.  No topcoat in these photos because I didn't want to dull the holo.  After I took the pictures I applied NYC GCS.  

Some of my fondest memories from the past year are from my grandma's 89th birthday party last year.  My mom threw her a shindig down at the lake house.  My dad's side of the family came, and some of my grandma's friends, plus my mom's brother and his wife and her parents.  The party was on a Saturday, and Sam and I drove down to the lake that morning.  When we got there I saw this.


She had themed her outfit to go with that little hat that her oldest son sent her one year.  Tell me that's not the cutest thing you've ever seen.  She was so excited when she found the beads to go with the hat. I remember that really well.  I remember a lot of that day--actually, that week--so, so well.




That day was wonderful.  It was the beginning of nice weather in Ohio and Easter was the next day.  My grandma was so happy to be surrounded by people who loved her and she smiled all day.  Sam and I ate so much cake that we actually had to take a nap after lunch (remember that, Sam?).  I remember that day because at that time I felt so light.  I had just finished my two-day comprehensive exam a couple days prior.  I knew I had gotten into PhD programs.  The semester was almost over.  I remember that entire week because the previous Saturday night I met Ben for the first time.  Then the night before the party, a Friday, I went over to his place for the first time and we started to watch Six Feet Under.  But I was still dating someone else.  I remember that on the two-hour drive down to the lake I talked to Sam about how I was reasonably sure that I wanted to be with Ben instead.  It was the first step in leaving a relationship that had been absolutely horrible for me.  It was the first step in building something with Ben that we intend to work on for the rest of our lives.  And all of those feelings of lightheartedness and joyful anticipation are somehow wrapped up in my grandma's birthday.  

Sam and I sat on the dock that night for hours and watched the sunset.  When we went inside my grandma was there, still happy, and she and my mom asked us, "What were you girls talking about down there for so long?"  And I don't remember.  I just remember the feeling.  I remember pulling my trench coat tight around me because it was still chilly.  I remember wearing my ex-boyfriend's big aviators and my orange tights.  I remember seeing the sun dip below the horizon and I remember being content in a profound way.  And I remember my grandma's smile.

The next day was Easter, and that was wonderful too.  My aunt Laura has us over and gave everyone Easter baskets.  The one she gave me had almond butter in it.  I remember that because I dropped it on my linoleum floor a few days after I got home and Ben made about a million jokes about it (like, "You know what kind of food I like?"  "What?"  "The kind without broken glass in it." Which was hilarious when we were trying to get to know each other).  At Easter dinner my grandma sat with Laura's grandma and they got to talking.  When it was time to go home, Laura's grandma said to mine, "I love you."  My grandma replied with, "I love you too!"  I thought it was so cute that I actually burst into tears on the spot and had to finish crying in the bathroom out of sight (remember that, Sam?).

I could go on about April of 2012 for a really long time, but I'll just end things here.  I'll end things by saying that this is the first time I've written about my grandma since she died that I haven't cried.  This time all I could feel were happy memories of a weekend that I hope I'll remember for the rest of my life.  This April things are a little less certain.  My grandma is gone.  There will be no birthday party.  Ben and I are apart.  But the weather is getting warmer, the sun is setting later, and I think that things are going to be okay.  

11 comments:

  1. i don't you at all, but visiting your blog is a treat because it's not just polish reviews etc. It's nice to read about the stuff you're comfortable with sharing online and stuff. Glad to hear you're feeling much much better about your grandma. I wish I could've been as close to mine as you were with yours :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what a bitter sweet time birthdays and holidays can be after someone you love is gone but remembering the sweet moments is really wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. So pretty. Happy Birthday to her. What a wonderful way to remember.Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful story, your Grandma sounds like a fabulous lady....

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with Kristy. This was a beautiful story, that was wonderfully written. You and I are both having stressful times in our lives, but I just want you to know that it always makes my day feel a little lighter when I get to come here and read something from you. It is amazing all that you've accomplished during the time I've been reading your blog. And I so appreciate you sharing your struggles as well, which I can relate to a lot as we are in similar places in our lives in some ways. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a beautiful post, Stephanie! Life is good, because even when it isn't perfect, it has the potential to be. And you're definitely working toward your perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  7. After reading the above, I had completely forgotten whether or not there were nails in the post. It's such a beautiful story! I look forward to your posts as they always seem a sort of hopeful, loving, warm feel to them. Thank you so much for sharing with the rest of us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe you didn't cry but I'm bawling here. I love this story and more than anything I want to be the kind of Mom, the kind of Grandma, that leaves these kind of memories.
    This is why I love, love, love this blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you are starting to heal. That story really touched me. Thank you for sharing it so openly.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sure that things are going to be okay for you! You go girl and rock Tess's nailpolish like she did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great memory to share with us! Your grandma's outfit goes perfect with this nail polish as well! So cool that she was so devoted that she even passed wearing it! I want to be like that when I hit her age!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!