Wednesday, May 01, 2013

And Then There Was More Marbling

Okay, this one really does look like marbled paper.




right hand; you can see on my ring finger where the acetone ate away the nail polish.  whoops.  but it's hardly noticeable in reality.

So for this one I used a base of OPI Did You 'Ear About Van Gogh?.  I only did one coat of it.  I wanted to see how colors would fare over a nude instead of a white-ish, and it turns out they fare pretty well.  For the marbling colors I used Essie Boxer Shorts, China Glaze Trendsetter (that's the bottle that I'm holding in the picture), and Rescue Beauty Lounge Dead Calm (I almost always type "Dead Clam" when I write about that polish--gross).  I used Boxer Shorts first and I do think it ended up contributing to the overall blue-ish look, but it didn't do much because the color was so light.  Trendsetter did really well, and then Dead Calm just TOTALLY TOOK OVER EVERYTHING because the color is so dark.  And I used a tiny, tiny amount of the RBL, trust me.  But still, I like the way it turned out.

and here's some marbled paper

The other day after I got out of class and it was like 9pm I was really craving popcorn--as usual (it's my favorite food).  So I went over to a Duane Reade (there are two within walking distance of my school), and when I went up the escalator I saw this.




All DRs have these weird lit-from-below nail polish displays, but this one was totally full and just looked so pretty.  I didn't get anything, I just creepily took pictures of it.  Like a weirdo.

And just for fun, the state of the floor next to my bed:


DON'T WORRY.  These aren't all my books.  I have more on my bed with me.  That I literally sleep with.  So I'm pretty good on the books.

Now if I could just open one of them today...

21 comments:

  1. Popcorn's your favourite food? MINE TOO (I've already killed an air popper this year because I used it so much)

    Also, I really dig this whole water colour marbling deal. So pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to limit my popcorn intake because it can get pretty intense. But yes, favorite food. I love ALL KINDS of popcorn, but especially that kind you get at the movie theatre. Oh god I'm drooling.

      Delete
  2. Some of those books look interesting. If you ever get around to reading them, let me know lol. Btw: I had forgotten I wanted popcorn (no microwave or air popper available) but now I remember :(.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually read through most, if not all of them. I recommend the Jerusalem book by Montefiore if you're into that type of thing. It's really accessible (but he doesn't really...cite things? Which is weird). If you're interested in the Islamic metalwork thing, I'd recommend a book published by the Islamic dept. of the Met in 2011. I can't remember its name but I know the word "Treasures" is in the title. Because when isn't it?

      If you want any other reading recommendations let me knowww!

      Delete
    2. Tell me more! I'm always into expanding my horizons through books.

      Delete
    3. Oh sure. What kinds of things are you interested in? Most of my knowledge has to do with art history (of course).

      Delete
    4. Anything historical. I want suggestions on other country's historical books (based on religion, war, anything).

      Delete
  3. Dammit. your photos make me want to try this water color nail art stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's eeeeaaaasy, I promise!! Just dot and smear, dot and smear...

      (sounds dirty, isn't)

      Delete
  4. My sister calls that the "nest" by your bed. And in my family, we all have them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always have one when I'm in school! If I had to live with me it would drive my batty, but since it's my own nest I don't mind.

      Delete
  5. Hi Steph,

    I love your marbled mani! And omg... the nail polish. I'm guessing that's the beauty bar in DR's?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Almost all of the ones I've been into have something like that display, but they're usually a little janky. That one was just so pretty.

      Delete
  6. Haha, I see you skulking around and secretely taking pictures of polish bottles in my minds eye :-) Love the marble stuff: would it work even better if you would use polish thinner instead of aceton?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That might work better...I read that pure acetone is the best, but next time I buy some legit thinner (if I ever even do...) I'll give it a go. I always want to have thinner around and then I never buy it. Because I've found that Seche Restore is the BEST and it's expensive. Boo.

      Delete
  7. I love the look of water marbling but have no desire for the mess. Those displays are really cool, where I live there are no pretty displays. Only sad picked over things that no employee even cares to make look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually not water marbling and there was no clean-up involved. It's the "watercolor technique," mine just turned out to be more marble-y than watercolor-y, haha.

      Delete
  8. My job was behind the dark side of Macy's (35th) and I use to walk to the DR in the corner in front and OH MY LORD,the nail polish racks got me all the time. Thankfully I found that my local beauty store carries OPI for just $4.99, so that saved my marriage :)
    WOW, the books, just wow

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG that corner of 35th and 6th is like the threshold to hell. It's always SO CROWDED.

      Delete
  9. World's Best Current Affairs Website which you Get Any thing you want, Most Popular Pictures, Loll Pictures, Funny Pictures, Funny Videos, Current Affairs Videos, Entertainment News and Videos, Entertainment Pictures, Hot Girls Affairs and all hot Current Affairs in the World
    HotCurrentAffairs.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am in love with the nail polish display. I probably would have stood there for hours just looking at it all... I have a serious addiction! LoL

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!