Friday, May 31, 2013

Ice Truck Killer Nails/I'm Back

I really meant to do an I'm-going-away-for-a-week post before I left for Cleveland but I just didn't have time.  But I'm back now, and I have a little bit of a backlog of polishes to show you.  This post actually won't be terribly informative nail polish-wise because I don't remember the names of all most of the polishes I used.






Ben was the one who had the foresight to take these pictures for me, so that was nice of him.  Yes, that is a fishing pole in my hand.  I went fishing.  By that I mean that Ben baited the hook and took the fish off if/when I caught anything.  So I guess technically what I'm saying is that I held a fishing pole.  At least I casted and reeled in the fish myself?  

I did my nails with my cousin Mattie.  She did a different color on all ten of her fingers (which we forgot to photograph), and so I decided to do [almost] the same thing.  I chose five colors:  Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Fuchsia Power, Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Blue Me Away, Sinful Colors Dream On, and two Funky Fingers (a yellow and a green) whose names I don't remember.  All of these were Mattie's polishes.  When my aunt saw my nails she promptly said, "You have Ice Truck Killer nails."  Which made me laugh pretty hard.  You may remember a similar look here.

 [source]
 [source]

Oh first season of Dexter:  you were amazing.  Anyway, I liked how this looked for a fun weekend with family, and I kept it on until the fuchsia color chipped.




I was pretty surprised when I ended up catching a couple fish.  As you can see, I was not keen on the idea of having them anywhere near me.  I like fish.  I like watching them swim around in a tank and I watch documentaries about them constantly.  But I do not want to touch them, ever and at all.  Occasionally I will eat them, but I didn't tell these fish that.  


Ben was way better at fishing and also posing with a fish.  It's okay to be jealous, ladies.  

I had a really wonderful trip and I can honestly say that seven days have never gone by more quickly for me.  I had a problem leaving New York last week because of all of those tornadoes happening.  My plane sat on the runway for three and a half hours.  Somewhere into hour two and after I had watched Wreck-It Ralph and read four chapters of a book, I called Ben crying, "I just want to come home!"  I cried on a plane full of strangers who were also angry, hot, and tired.  In the end I made it home several hours late, and we didn't crawl into bed until 2:30 in the morning on Thursday.  

The next day we had a wedding to go to.  The ceremony was outside and it poured.  Despite that, it was one of the loveliest ceremonies I've ever been to.  It actually made me cry, and that has never happened to me before.  

 wedding attire
have I ever told you guys that...I'm a total ham?

Anyway, it was a very nice day.  After that Sam flew in from Boston and we headed down to the lake.


I had a really lovely time.  It was a busy time.  But I saw two friends get married, saw Gatsby with Ben, got to spend time with Sam and family (those things are synonymous by now), made s'mores, fell asleep on Ben's lap to the tv (falling asleep in front of the tv is literally my favorite thing EVER and I love being able to do it), went to a Memorial Day rib cookout with friends, ate Indian food with my parents, and did a beach trip with Ben (photos to come).  That time went by so quickly, but I love that I'm making memories.  And even more, I'm glad that I have a partner who doesn't mind capturing them.  Because I'm awful at taking pictures.


Like this picture, which is of a sign that reads:  "Directions for detour in blue container.  Help yourself. $1.00 donation appreciated!  Take a pop or water.  Have a great day!"  Man, this was just the epitome of central Ohio.  We were on a country road and all of a sudden found it blocked.  We had no idea where to go, but when we looked to our right we saw this helpful little station.  We did indeed take some directions (we didn't take any refreshments), and in no time we were around the detour and going the right way again.  It was pretty funny.

So anyway, I'm back in New York now and it's sweltering.  I'm trying really hard not to turn on my air conditioner because MONEY, but it's 90 degrees and I think I'm going to give in eventually.  Happily, though, in one week Ben is coming back to New York and we're planning all kinds of things to do.  Now that I'm just working 9-5 I feel like I have so much free time.  I'm not studying for any tests or stressing about any reading or papers.  Yesterday I got home from work and I read a book, you guys.  For pleasure.  I haven't done that in YEEEEAAARRRS.  I will probably get bored eventually, but for now I'll be finding more than enough YouTube makeup tutorials, tv shows, movies, books, and MUSEUMS to occupy my time.  

I'll talk to you all next week!

10 comments:

  1. FIRST!!!@#@! lolol sorry couldn't resist, I'm also a ham.

    Anyway Dream On is one of my all time fave polishes, it's the only polish I've ever found that's a true neon but still a nice grape purple. I love it so much, despite the fact that the formula kinda sucks and it chips like, before I can even get it on my nails. That color though...*dreamy sigh*.

    I also feel your pain about dying of heat. I've lived in the south my whole life and I've never been as miserable as I was when I was in NYC over the Fourth of July. It's like you're just cooking in a giant oven. Ugh. Popsicles helped me a lot. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Lindsey! I love the color of Dream On too, but the formula is so awful. Luckily there is a dead on dupe of it in Zoya's "Charisma". Sadly, I can't wear any sinful colors, they chip on me in minutes.

      Delete
    2. I like Dream On too! Shockingly it was one of the polishes that didn't chip on me within three days. The Insta-Dri had the worst wear out of all of them for me.

      New York=giant oven...totally.

      Delete
  2. I LOVE those nails. They are so fun. Now I want to do a skittle mani!
    What a cute little fishie! I looooooove going fishing. Its one of my favorite things to do in the summer. My mom's phone background used to be me and this HUGE catfish I caught.
    I'm the total opposite of you. I love the heat of summer. The 90s make me happy. Perfect tubing weather! But then, being stuck in a city with no water relief, I guess heat would suck pretty hard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :)

      Similar to my taste in music, I'm much happier when it's in the 70s. The 90s are entirely too brutal. That's what I'm living right now. And in a city like New York that's so crowded and where everything literally stinks, everything gets amplified in the heat. Yuck.

      Delete
  3. I had a good laugh over the Ice Truck Killer Nails, esp. after our Dexter discussion. HA. When I saw ITK in "The Hurt Locker," I totally freaked out and B had no idea why.

    I'm glad you had a fun week home. That little stand is the kind of thing that restores your faith in humanity, you know?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know! I debated telling you that this post was going up today, but then I was like, nah. She'll see it.

      We loved that little stand. I regret not taking a pop.

      Delete
  4. Faaabbbuuulous fishing outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks. The dress is from Forever21 and it's probably still available there. $27!

      Delete
  5. Your nails are so cute here. Love this post.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!