Monday, May 20, 2013

Leopard Print Freehand

I'm going to ignore the fact that this was completely a product of finals procrastination and just tell you that I'm kind of excited that this leopard print was so delightfully easy to achieve.


 AND...the elusive animal that I like to call:  my right hand

I mean, it doesn't look AMAZING, but it looks PRETTY GREAT for my first time trying this.  Here are the polishes I used:


The base is OPI My Vampire is Buff (last seen here), the metallic dots are Funky Fingers Pink Pixels (courtesy of Rach and last seen here, during my finals frenzy of last semester), and NYC Black Lace.  This might need very little explanation, but I'll tell you how I did this anyway.  I started off with two and a half coats of the OPI.  Some nails needed a third, hence the "and a half."  Then, I used a bent bobby pin to dot on the Funky Fingers in rather asymmetric blobs.  The nice thing about this is that it doesn't have to be perfect.  Lastly, I used the black and a little paint brush to trace around the dots on either side and put random splotches on the empty spaces because HORROR VACUI.  I let it dry for a while and then topped it off with a thick coat of Seche.  


With leopard jeans and leopard plushie from the my trip to the Columbus Zoo in January.  Ben (and also my parents) will readily tell you that I have "TOO MANY STUFFED ANIMALS," but I can't help myself.  They are my preferred souvenir and have been since I was a little girl.
See?  What a pal.

Today I have my last exam (that I feel completely unprepared for) around 4:15.  Last night I was feeling kind of like


But this morning I'm kind of all


So I don't even know, you guys.

But after this bitch is over I plan to go downtown and have SEVERAL drinks.

I still have one paper left to finish, and it remains to be seen whether or not I'll finish it before I leave for CLE Wednesday night.  I'll try my best.  It's not due until the 31st, but it would be nice to turn in before I go.  My friend Chelsea is getting married on Thursday and I'm going back for the wedding/for my family's Memorial Day festivities at the lake house.  My best friend Sam flies in from Boston on Friday night, and we'll roadtrip with Ben down to the lake.  To say I'm looking forward to it would be an understatement.  I'm looking forward to it so much that I've actually been trying not to think about it because it's distracting.  I get distracted enough as it is anyway.  Oh, and because I subjected you guys to my German woes, I can now proudly tell you that I got an A- in the class.  Take that, Freud.

Okay, wish me luck.  I'll probably study all the way up to the exam today and then just hope that intelligible things spill out of my brain-parts.  And, of course, there will be much coffee.  

12 comments:

  1. I just want to tell you that I love your blog and think you are adorable. I'm a 60-year-old woman who has developed a late-in-life nail polish addiction. : ) Now what would I have in common with you? Nothing really, yet your blog is one of the few I read daily. I guess you remind me of my daughter. I really admire your adventurous spirit. And you are also giving me some art education ! ( comments on Christina's World)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's sweet, thank you!

      Christina's World. Sigh. It's one of my favorites of all time.

      Delete
  2. Love this post! Way to go on the leopard print! That's something I have yet to tackle. I didn't want to register for a free 14 day trial of the dictionary so I looked up horror vacui on Google and I love this quote from Wikipedia: "Some examples of horror vacui in art come from, or are influenced by, the mentally unstable and inmates of psychiatric hospitals...."
    Not saying anything....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha you just might be right.

      Also I didn't realize the dictionary would want to make you do a trial offer or whatever the hell. I fixed the link and now it's Wikipedia, which we all know is THE BEST ACADEMIC SOURCE.

      Delete
  3. YAY for your A- in German! You rock sistah! You totally deserve a break and some fun-so I hope you enjoy the lake and Ben lots! The paper will still be there if you hadn't finished it yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sadly I have to actually finish it tonight because the due date was moved UP. I've never had that happen before and was kind of shocked but...whatever. As I type this I'm pretty much finished, so that's good.

      Delete
  4. "Horror Vacui" brings back memories of my art history classes, ahhh! Stephanie what a great art historian you are! Be proud of that A- girlfriend, you will remember the hard work and sacrifice. I get good grades but a few stand out for me, such as the A I got in Stats last semester. I worked my ass off and the class was twice a week at 6:30 in the morning!!!

    Have fun with your after-finals-celebrating!
    Liz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stats is HARD. I took that in undergrad and didn't even know what was happening. And 6:30 in the morning? Yuuuuuck.

      Delete
  5. Nice! I am not one for nail art in general but I like your freehand leopard print. Fun and classy (which, you have to admit, some nail art - not on this blog - is not...).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, yeah. Some nail art is pretty tacky.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!