Tuesday, May 07, 2013

The Tess Collection: Sally Hansen Xtreme Wear Mystic Lilac

My grandmother really loved the dollar store and our regional northeast Ohio drug store, Drug Mart.  I'm willing to bet that she got this polish from Drug Mart, and I could probably tell you exactly which store it came from.  I remember the collection that this polish came in, because it also had one of my favorite polishes ever in it, Concrete.  But today we're talking about Mystic Lilac.







I know I have a bottle of this polish in my own collection.  It's just so interesting.  The base is sort of a purple-tined gray, and it has vibrant green shimmer.  It's very, very pretty.  The only problem with it is that it's incredibly sheer.  I used four (pretty thin) coats here, and you can still see my nail line if you look hard enough.  But despite the multiple coats and watery formula, this dried pretty quickly with the addition of some Seche.  I think that Concrete may have been paired with this one in a collection in order to facilitate layering.  The base color of Concrete is pretty close to Mystic Lilac, just denser.

I really missed my grandma last week.  I've been a little desperate for someone to talk to, and I knew that I could always call her if I was lonely.  Because she was probably lonely too.  I'm still very much getting used to not being able to call her.  Sometimes I get as far as opening up my contacts and scrolling to her name.  Sometimes I wonder what she would say to me in this situation or that one, etc.  Lately I've been thinking about when I was talking to her about keeping my maiden name after I got married.  My mom was there too, and she told me I should change it.  But my grandma was like, "I think you should keep it!"  What a modern lady.  For this month's post I thought I'd share a photo of my grandma and grandpa at their wedding (in honor of setting our wedding date to coincide with theirs):


I think this picture is sweet.  My grandpa looks really happy.  I can't tell about my grandma, though.  I mean, I'm sure she was happy; it was her wedding day.  Maybe she just really wanted to eat that cake.  Because I really want to eat that cake.  Also I love their little cake topper.  

I had a pretty combination awesome/crappy weekend.  On Friday I met up with a family friend who bought me dinner and then took me to Macbeth.  Which was amazing.  It was a one-man show, so Alan Cumming played pretty much every single role.  Then I stayed at her hotel with her.  Even though she had to leave the next morning, she let me stay until check-out.  So I woke up in a nice, cushy bed in a dark, dark room (hotels on Times Square have THE BEST blackout curtains; they have to because of all the lights--I often wonder how the city can justify that electric bill), and then I took myself shopping at Forever21.  Among a couple other things, I got this necklace for $1.80 that I'm kind of obsessed with.



I forgot how happy a little shopping could make me (pretty happy).  The rest of the weekend was emotionally and mentally trying, and I'm so ready to just give up.  After my German final on Thursday I'll feel so much better.  

Probably.

10 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your Tess Collection posts and your stories of your grandmother. I lost my grandma almost five years ago and I still can't bring myself to delete her email from my contacts, despite the fact I cry every time I see it. The sorrow will slowly burn out, but it will always be there. I hope it starts to get easier for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this polish.I always enjoy your posts,especially Tess ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look like your Grandmother.I still miss my Mom and it's been 12 years since she passed away.That necklace is a good choice,it seems very versatile.Thanks for all you do to bring this blog to us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your grandmother sounded lovely. I've been very moved by the posts you've written which talk about her, you've got a way of connecting to your readers through your writing. I lost my grandpa a couple of years ago, and it was a very quick and sudden thing; he got lung cancer and it was quite far along and he refused treatment. I was traveling to my home country to see him, and the day I arrived in Switzerland with my sister was the day he passed away. So we'd been literally a few hours away from seeing him when he passed away.

    I love those old photos, there's something about black and white photography that's just so stunning.

    Geek moment, but your necklace reminds me of the emblem from the game Zelda :D

    Blindly Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope someone remembers me and loves my nail polish collection they way you have your grandmother.

    Best of luck with your finals etc. Back in law school finals were pure misery. The only way I survived was to tell my self this time next week it will all be over and I can finally sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mystic Lilac is lovely. The necklace is sweet too.

    I so enjoy your posts about your grandmother's collection with the old photos.

    Good luck with your end-of-the-semester work!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know how I feel about this series. :) I look forward to it every month!

    And ALSO. I am so jealous you got to go to THE SCOTTISH PLAY. So, SO jealous.

    Good luck with your German final!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey I offered if you needed someone to talk to dont forget! I'm sure it's kind of weird for a total stranger to offer. But it is what it is! Your nails are looking nice and long! I love old photos. Just love em.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope you are better. I can so watch Alan Cumming all day, I'm slightly obsessed since he makes the introduction on Masterpiece Mystery (specifically Agatha Christie-I'm such a hip 37 yr old)and he is divine.
    The photo of your grands is so beautiful...I'm so sorry you feel lonely...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like this color, very personal!!!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!