Tuesday, June 11, 2013

China Glaze Dandy Lyin' Around

When I first saw swatches of the China Glaze spring collection pop up, I was probably most excited about Dandy Lyin' Around.  I love a good not-too-stark white, so I was eager to try it out (although clearly not too eager, because it took me like two months).





I am, as Cher Horowitz would say, whelmed.  I read some really great reviews on this polish, but in the end I just wasn't feelin' it.  The formula was goopy, which is pretty much par for the course with whites.  I used three coats in the pictures above, and you can still very clearly see my nail line.  Which I'm not too much a fan of.  I'm not sure why I couldn't get along with this color.  Maybe it was the sheerness, maybe it was that it still somehow ended up looking too stark for my taste, or maybe it's that the shimmer wasn't pronounced enough for me.  Whatever it was, this is the first polish I've worn in a while that I've felt so meh about.  I removed it only hours after applying it, which is pretty unusual.

Here are just a few pictures (of the dozens and dozens taken) from my weekend with Ben in New York:

reading with Hans Christian Anderson in Central Park
 impersonating a penguin at Central Park Zoo
 NYPL

Ben's empty plate at Katz's Deli
 the Brooklyn Bridge on a hot day

 lounging in a TriBeCa park (we lounged like this for at least an hour in the shade)
we walked past the Ghostbusters firehouse about 800 times because I got us lost in TriBeCa (not an easy thing to do, since it's such a tiny neighborhood), but Ben was glad to see it over and over again.  He is what you might call a Ghostbusters enthusiast.

On Friday it absolutely poured down rain all day long, so we went to The Frick (no photography up in there) and then to the movies.  Saturday we walked so much.  Up and down Central Park, then to the zoo.  Then we walked down 5th Avenue all the way to Union Square, stopped at things like the NYPL, Empire State Building, and the Flatiron along the way.  On Sunday we started out day at Katz's, walked the Brooklyn Bridge, walked to TriBeCa for the Ghostbusters experience, and then somehow ended the day in Chinatown.  It was a lot of walking, and, for the most part, the weather seemed to be at either one extreme or the other.  On Friday it monsooned and I could see my breath.  By Sunday it was 86 degrees and a little too toasty for a Brooklyn Bridge walk.  But we did it anyway.  My feet are still sore.  But it was a really nice weekend.  Now I can't wait to go home for my July visit!  

Anyway, I'm out.  I hope you guys all had a nice weekend, too!

10 comments:

  1. You did a great job with the gloopiness because it looks lovely. I love white manicures but have a hell of a time with them also. I like sheerness sometimes with polishes--this one works well I think.

    Looks like you had a great time in NYC. My boyfriend and I are planning a trip there asap.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That polish is one that I want to own just because its white and seems so shimmery in pics. You wear it well. I adore sheer polishes though(Jelly Whore). It looks great on you even though you dont like it.

    I love how your non-polish pics. AND OMG! Does that dress have FLAMINGOS? I LOVEEEEE IT.-L

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I normally love polishes like this but...I don't know what it is about it.

      Yes! That is my flamingo dress. It's from Urban Outfitters.

      Delete
  3. Now I'm a little worried since you didn't like it! I guess I'll thin out my bottle before I try anything. (I'm a little scared to try it because my brush is JANK.)

    The thing not a lot of people tell you about NY is that there is So. Much. Walking. But hey! Ghostbusters firehouse!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I walk a lot anyway, but we walked the whole island for sure. From the upper east side to the lower east side, plus most of Central Park in-between. It was too much for me. But Ben was fine. I just don't have appropriate footwear.

      Delete
  4. You should try Revlon Brilliant Strength nail polish in Embody. It's a gorgeous off white jelly like polish! I only use 2 coats, but 3 might hide the VNL! -K

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'll check that one out.

      Delete
  5. Leave it to Ernie to notice the flamingo dress...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A lady after my own heart, the both of you.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!