Monday, June 17, 2013

Sally Hansen Sugar Coat Sour Apple

I've been really slowly trying out the textured trend.  I got one of the OPI Bond Girls polishes, which I still need to show you, and I kept seeing these SH Sugar Coat polishes on my not-so-infrequent trips to the drug store.  Finally I broke down and picked one out.  I don't know what it is about me and mint green lately, but I'm so weirdly drawn to it.  I didn't even like it when it was a huge trend, but now it's like three years later and I'm all over it.  I'm a late bloomer, I guess?






First let me say that I'm dying for this color.  I absolutely love it.  I love how it looks on my skintone, and it's really neither too yellow nor too blue.  I don't think of a "sour apple" when I see this.  I think of those really tasty pastel mint things:

om nom nom

Anyway.  I don't know how I feel about the "sugar coat" finish.  I think these polishes are akin to the new China Glaze Texture polishes, where they're a creme formula instead of a shimmer, like the OPI Liquid Sands or Zoya Pixie Dusts.  I actually really, really like how it looks.  I think it's really interesting.  From far away it just looks like a normal polish to me, for the most part, but then when you get close up you notice the texture.  So, color and appearance:  good.  Buuuuuut I really hate how it feels.  I don't mind feeling it with the pads of my fingers (which I've been compulsively doing since I put it on); what I hate is feeling my nails rub against anything.  Rubbing against each other?  Ugh.  Rubbing against my felt iPad case?  UGH.  Rubbing against my sheets while I'm trying to sleep?  UGH.  

I'm wondering if maybe one of two things will happen:  1.)  I'll get used to it or 2.)  the texture will die down after a few days of wear/friction.  The latter happened to me with OPI Jinx where the grit seemed to lessen after a couple days, like sea glass or something.  But anyway, the formula was fine.  I couldn't tell if I should use two coats or go for a third, so I just used two thick coats and it covered fine.  I think that I like the color enough that I'll probably reach for this one again, despite the weird scratchy-grabby texture.

I had a nice, albeit short, weekend.  I took myself on a date to The Met to see Civil War and American Art, which was wonderful.  Oh, it was just beautiful.  I bought the catalogue and I can't wait to read it throughout the summer.  I also saw the rehung Ren/Baroque galleries, and if there are any fellow New York inhabitants who haven't gone to see those revamped galleries, then you need to go.  I did a Target trip on Sunday but didn't really buy anything fun, which is weird for me.  I tried on like 12 dresses and couldn't find one I liked enough to buy.  Sad.  I do love little summer dresses so much.

Anyway, I'm out.  I hope everyone has an absolutely lovely Monday.

20 comments:

  1. I do love this color. And if I didn't hate the look of popcorn ceilings so much (which is what this reminds me of), I might want it. But as it stands, it gets a pass from me. The color does look great on you though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right; it does remind me of those ceilings. I never really made that connection before. I have a really vivid memory of watching one of my dad's friends put that popcorn stuff on our family room ceiling when I was a kid. With a really long paintbrush tool thing that kind of looked like a broom. Weird memory.

      Delete
  2. love! I'm a mint green lover too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CANNOT get enough of that color right now.

      Delete
  3. Oh mama nooooooooo! LOL I love that color but that whole texture thing has to go. Reminds me of the 70s ceilings that some of my family still has in their homes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought I would hate it too buuuuut I don't! Crazy.

      Delete
  4. Oh and we did exactly the same thing in Target yesterday and I, too walked away with nothing. They were either too sheer or my butt would be hanging out. Sadness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried on so many things. I really wanted to walk out with something because I get a euphoria from a good purchase that I suspect is unhealthy...

      Delete
  5. LOVE this!! I can't get enough of mint green lately either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is awesome! I love the color and texture. I have to get this!
    xxx

    glamorousgirl2014.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw so many displays of the Sugar Coats where this color was the only one gone, so hurry!

      Delete
  7. Lovely colour! I can't say I want to get onto the textured bandwagon though

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not loving the texture. At. All. For a wonderful pale minty green I like SH Green Tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To each her own. I have seen Green Tea. Maybe I'll invest in that one also.

      Delete
  9. I'm waiting for them to come out with one of these in a color I really like, like hot fuchsia or a nice bright purple. The one texture I've tried so far is Zoya Destiny; after one coat, it felt awkwardly sandpaper-y, but by the end of the night, it definitely smoothed down into a very comfortable texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried any of the Zoyas, but all I hear are raves.

      Delete
  10. Love, love, love the color, hate texture...but then again I didn't like the crackle trend either. I'm such a vanilla when it comes to texture polishes.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!