Thursday, July 18, 2013

Maybelline Baby Lips Electro in Oh! Orange!

Hopefully you guys don't mind another lip product post.  Even though this blog is for nail polish, some of my most read posts are actually about lip stuff, which is interesting.  I think I mentioned that I get kind of crazy over lipsticks and stains in the summer months, so when I heard about the new (much more brightly tinted) Maybelline Baby Lips Electro collection I was all over them.  I have three, but today I'm just going to tell you about my favorite one, which is Oh! Orange!.  These lip balms are billed as being neons, I believe, and I'll tell you that the three I have produce a really lovely color payoff.  


The packaging is different than the original Baby Lips collection.  Each lip balm comes in a black tube, and the plastic cover's lettering matches the color/scent of the product.


In terms of performance, I would probably give these a 4/5.  They're a bit thinner than I generally like my lip balms to be, but they're decently hydrating and they do have an okay staying power unless you're planning on eating or drinking...because these are just balms, so they're not going to last as long as, say, a MAC matte lip color.  Maybelline claims that these will make your lips softer and healthier after repeated use.  After using them pretty much constantly for about ten days I can tell you...that my lips feel exactly the same.


Here are the three balms that I have swatched.  I used two swipes for each color.  From left to right:  Strike a Rose, Oh! Orange!, and Shocking Pink.  As you can see, they are quite pigmented for such a light formula, which I found impressive.  Another nice little tidbit is that each lip balm smells different depending on the color.  Oh! Orange! is actually my least favorite scent of the bunch, but by far my favorite shade.  As expected, it's sort of citrus-y, but it ends up reminding me of a cleaning product.  The other two have really nice scents, but the colors are less unique.


Here's Oh! Orange! on me.  In the tube it looks like it would be a really bright orange.  Even swatched on my arm it looks that way.  But because of the sheer formula, the orange mingles with my natural lip color and morphs into a perfect, sheer, peachy coral that's just amaaaaaaazing on my skin tone and with my blue eyes (I think).  The other colors I got were nice, but just less impressive to me.  I've still been wearing them all, though, because these balms are just great for summertime.  

I've seen these at a bunch of places, from CVS to Rite-Aid to Walgreens/Duane Reade.  I got mine for $3.79.  I'm impressed at the price point, actually!  Lip products that I really love for under $5 at the drug store are a huge win for me.  At Rite-Aid they were on their own special display, but in DR they were mixed in with the other Maybelline products.  So check around if you're interested!

You guys, today is the last day of my fellowship.  I actually can't believe how quickly the time went.  I'm pretty excited to be able to catch up on my sleep some more, because I've been having trouble with it (I'm stressed out about my move...).  But I get to go to the Guggenheim on Friday, and probably on a me-date to MoMA on Saturday.  Next week I definitely have to start getting stuff together for movin' out (a la Billy Joel).  Everything's rollin', guys.  But I do wonder when I'll start to feel less stressed.  I think I might be genetically unable to relax.  Or at least it seems that way.

K, that's all for today.  Thaaaaaanks for stoppin' by, as always.

13 comments:

  1. I love these Baby Lips - such a good option for the beach (like I did last weekend)! Loving the orange on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, these are reeeeaaally nice for summer. Just put them on and go. The only thing is that I can't really do it without a mirror--they're a little too pigmented for that. But if that's the only downside, then I'm still a huge fan.

      Delete
  2. I don't mind that you do lip reviews too, lipstick and nail polishes are my two beauty vices! Maybe it's just a thing - lacqueristas in all the ways :D

    On that note, do you know if Oh Orange! is similar to the Revlon Lip Butter in Tutti Fruitti? I can't find a comparison anywhere. And congrats on it being your last day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good! I'm glad you like lip products as much as I do!

      I actually am not a huge fan of Lip Butters. To be fair, I only tried one and I kind of hated the color on me. Maybe I'll return to them and check them out again, because their hype seems to have held up well.

      Thanks again!

      Delete
  3. So glad you posted this! I have all the other baby lips colors, and I love them, so I will definitely be picking these up. The grape one is my favorite scent and color, but it's definitely more of a fall color. I've been using the tutti frutti one, which is kind of coraly-orange, but these are so cheap I'll happily pick up the new ones just to try them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE these and how cheap they are! I kind of want to get the purple one in the new collection too!

      Delete
  4. I have A TON of Baby Lips and I am not ashamed. I love these things. They are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Replies
    1. I've seen them all over the place recently, so get thee to a drug store!

      Delete
  6. Too much artificial junk in Baby Lips. Go natural with Buddha Balm. Thank me later!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use another natural lip balm at night so I'm not too worried about a fun pop of color during the day. Also considering the fact that I wear a ton of other lipsticks and stains and tints and what-have-you. I don't think these'll hurt me anymore than anything else.

      But thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  7. I love these kind of Newborn Lip area - this kind of great option to the seashore (like Used to a week ago)! Caring the particular fruit on you!Gold For RS

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!