Monday, August 05, 2013

Ch-Ch-Changes (Maybelline Poolside and a Surpriiiiiise!!)

Hey everyone!  I'm here!  I made it back to Ohio.  I meant to post last week but it just never happened, so here I am today.  The move actually went really smoothly.  The drive back was relatively shenanigan-free.  Ben came on a Friday night and we went to dinner at Mission Chinese, which was great (if you're in New York and you can get reservations I HIGHLY recommend it).  In the morning we woke up, cleaned up my apartment, packed up our little Civic, and then we were on the road by 1pm.  It was a long drive, but we stopped for dinner and chatted the whole way.  

I am suuuuuper impressed with the wear on Maybelline Poolside, which I'll be showing you below.  I put it on on a Saturday evening, and it survived packing boxes, cleaning, several showers, and general stress.  It lasted on me for six full days without chipping. Wuuuuuuut.  Color me shocked.  And here it is:





Poolside is from the limited edition Maybelline Color Show summer collection.  I got it at Rite-Aid on clearance for $1.99.  I wasn't sure how the formula would be, because I haven't really had the best of luck with Maybelline pastels in the past.  My biggest problem with Poolside is that it didn't really self-level when I put it on, which you can probably see in the pictures.  But it still looked great and I loved the color.  I used three coats.  The secret to this one was to wait a good five minutes between the second and third coats to avoid any patchiness.  I topped it off with some NYC GCS and it lasted forever and looked adorable the entire time.  If you can still find this one at the drug store I suggest picking it up.  It's a really pretty color for the summertime.

Okay, and the surprise.  So, when I was in college I got a kitten, Raven.

here he is reclining with Borghese Almondine (the last Borghese polish I could get excited about, by the way)

That kitten used to be on my blog a lot, but then he went to live with my parents when I graduated in 2009 and couldn't find a job.  For the first year or so that Raven lived with my parents he hid either under my bed or in the basement. Finally, little by little, he started to come out and be social.  And then it happened:  my dad seduced him.  I don't know how it happened and I can't claim to understand their love, but it is readily apparent. They talk to each other and cuddle together on the floor.  It's pretty cute.  Raven also has problems traveling and adjusting to new places.  For a while Ben and I were considering taking him with us when we moved into our place.  I asked my mom a few times, "Should we take Raven?"  Each time she said, "We're not ready to make that decision."  You'd have to know this cat to understand how he snuggles his way into your heart.  After thinking about it for a while, we decided that it would be best to leave Raven with his manfriend (my dad) in the house where he has been king of the castle for the past four years.  Not to mention he's pretty much in love with Alley, our other cat.  Don't get me wrong; we would have been glad to take him.  He's the best cat in the world.  Very kind, very cuddly, never bites, never has a harsh meow for anyone.  But this is his home now.

That long preamble was all for this:  Ben and I picked out a kitten.  Or I guess I did.  Ben was pretty vocal about wanting me to choose one.  He'll be traveling for work about two weeks out of every month, so he wanted to make sure I'd have a friend to hang out with while I'm home alone at night and stuff.  Once we agreed to get a cat I did a lot of research.  By that I mean I Googled "friendliest cat breeds" and did my reading.  I wanted a companion.  The type of cat that would want to be around us all the time and be friendly to visitors and generally just be awesome.  After I found a list of friendly breeds I ended up falling in love with the idea of a Ragdoll.**  I found a breeder in Ohio at the beginning of July, and it turned out that a litter of kittens had just been born at the end of June.  She encouraged me to pick out a kitten right away, but I exercised what I consider to be INCREDIBLE RESTRAINT and I said to Ben, "If these kittens are still around at the end of July we'll get one."  Out of anywhere in the state of Ohio that this breeder could have been based, she was literally ten minutes from my parents' house.  It seemed like kismet.  So we went to visit the babies.


The eight Ragdoll kittens were presented to us, not even kidding, in a wicker basket.  I had no idea how to choose one and Ben wasn't really helping.  But the woman was incredibly nice and patient and let us stay there with them for about an hour.  One of them sort of stood out to me right away because of his lighter coloring.  He was also the first one to approach me.  He wasn't shy at all.  He played with Ben, climbed on my shoulder, licked my fingers, fell asleep on my lap, and was the only one that purred.  He's on my lap in that above picture, flirting with me.  So finally I made an executive decision:





(uuuhhh so Poolside looks great, doesn't it??)

This is Remy.  He's about five weeks old right now.  Much too little to come home, but he's our boy.  He'll probably come home at the very end of August or beginning of September, when he's ready to leave his mom.  I went through a few names while we were thinking of getting a cat, but when I thought about "Remy" I knew it was right.  I wasn't really thinking of any reference in particular.  Not Ratatouille or the cognac.  Actually I watched House of Cards (which I can't recommend enough) about a month ago and there's a secondary character named Remy.  I didn't love the character or anything like that; I just think the name was in my head.  

So that's our news!  We'll have been in our apartment for about three weeks by the time I go pick up little Remy, so we'll be all settled.  We're really excited!  Anyway, hope all you guys are well and I'm sorry I disappeared for a little while--lots going on.  Oh, and I really enjoyed reading everyone's comments on my Essie Using My Maiden Name post.  There's a lot of food for thought there, for sure.


**Just a quick note on our decision to go to a breeder.  My parents and I rescued both cats that they still have now.  I'm an advocate of shelters and the APL, etc.  But with my concerns about having a companion cat, I didn't want to leave demeanor up to chance.  I know some cats that come from shelters are perfectly lovely and social, but a lot (like our little tabby, Alley, and to some extent also Raven) have behavioral issues.  We're hoping that choosing a Ragdoll will be a good decision for a lot of reasons.  I also know that a purebred cat can have behavioral issues too (I'm sure a lot of it has to do with the environment in which the cat is raised), but we decided that we really want to try out this breed.  And by "try out" I mean "live with and love this cat for a decade or longer."

31 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats on your move. I still have that thing for you and OMG what a pretty kitty. He is adorable. *giggles at the name* What a pretty baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, thanks. Yes, will send an e-mail about the package with new address.

      Ange just texted me about the name the other day. I had no idea...!

      Delete
  2. So, yeah, I didn't even want this polish until you posted it. NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. And six days of flawless wear? That is AMAZEBALLS.

    Remy is so freakin' precious. I can't wait till you bring him home.

    P.S. I believe this polish also would look incredible with the White Cap treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been on sale at every drugstore I've gone to recently. And yeahhhhh to White Cap. I'll have to try that.

      Delete
  3. I just bought this from the Rite Aid clearance. I love it on you.

    And that cat is PRESH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That Rite-Aid clearance was basically the best thing ever. I got like six polishes that I have now misplaced in my first move. Sigh.

      Delete
  4. Remy is adorable! And although I'm a big believer in adopting from the shelter, I've heard wonderful things about ragdolls. I'm sure Remy is going to be the perfect kitty for you.

    Also, I don't even like blue polish, but that is so pretty. And 6 days wear! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love the lightness of this blue. It feels really fresh.

      I can't wait to start hanging out with this little cat!

      Delete
  5. I'm not even a huge fan of cats and I think that kitten is just about the most adorable thing I've ever seen. I want to cuddle it...

    Maybelline poolside looks great! Might have to pick this one up. Would you say the color is more periwinkle or robin's egg? It looks pretty balanced in your pictures, but I tend to look better in purple-y shades

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's pretty balanced, as you say. I think there may be a little drop of purple in it, but nothing too noticeable.

      Yeah girl, these Ragdoll kittens were probably the cutest kittens I've ever seen. And I've seen a lot of kittens.

      Delete
  6. Oh my gosh, I'm dying over Remy!!! He's so so cute. I keep bugging Frank to let me get another cat but then he comes in with reason and sensibility and reminds me that our older girls would have a fit. Stupid boys and their logic and stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Frank will have to come over for dinner so you can see Remy and visit Frank's old stomping grounds ;)

      Delete
  7. Yay! We got a male Maine Coon based on that breed also being big and friendly, and at age 13 he's still a good friend and big old ball of love. I'm sure Remy (the breeds are very similar) will be too. And they are SO dang sweet when they're that tiny...Congrats!

    Marla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my god, the cat I had growing up was a Maine Coon! Sadie. She lived to be 21 or 22, and then we had to put her down. She was THE BEST cat ever. She was a cuddly badass who had a chunk of her ear missing from getting into a fight with another cat (and probably winning). I love those cats.

      Delete
  8. *squees to the ends of the earth because BABY*

    I want a kitten so badly, it's not even funny. I fostered two abandoned kitties from a week old until they were weaned, but it was one of the hardest months of my life due to no support system and a low-pay job. I just wasn't in a position to handle two other living creatures relying on me to get by, even though I wanted to keep them.

    Maybe someday in the future I'll get another pair :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, fostering kittens sounds so lovely. I hope you do get another pair someday! Ben and I have been toying with the idea of getting two, but I think that we're just going to stick with the one.

      Delete
  9. Congrats on the move, but CONGRATS ON THE PRECIOUS KITTEN! Aaaah, I love cats. Also, I like that nail polish a lot!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. That kitten is the cutest thing in the world. AND I'm REALLY into that color. Perfect powder blue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a cute baby that goes with a cute polish.

      Delete
  11. Congrats on the move. Love the nail polish. Love the color. Simple yet classy. Its perfect for everyday wear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I'm totally into it too! Glad I got it.

      Delete
  12. That color is so gorgeous! It reminds me of Cinderella, and well, Cinderella was my favorite movie ever... I've gotta check to see if I can get that shade maybe. It's so soft and lovely. :)

    Congrats on the move and awwww, on your new kitten!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Ali! It reminds me of Cinderella too, now that you mention it.

      Thanks!

      Delete
  13. Congrats on the kitten - he's adorable. I'm sorry you even felt pressured to defend your choice to with a breeder. I know people mean well, and that shelter animals need homes, but they're not the right decision for everybody, at every stage in their life. I have two dogs, one we got as a puppy and one we adopted as a 3 year old, and we had very good reasons for each of those decisions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Grace. After years of blogging and sharing opinions I find it best to just immediately explain myself. I wasn't sure if anyone would question our decision, but I did want everyone to know that I've supported animal shelters and organizations like the APL.

      Delete
  14. Ragdolls are kind of legendary for their temperament. That photo of him standing on the carpet... oh my goodness.

    We have the same Target dress! Bought before the cut-out epidemic truly hit current fashion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOVE the Target dress! I have two--one in black, too!

      Delete
  15. Congrats on the move and that kitty is adorable, I have been toying with the idea of getting a pure breed since the passing of ours last year. You are too kind to explained yourself. Loving the polish, going to try to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Forex Affaris.. Latest Currency news updates, latest forex trading business updates, trading updates, forex trading latest news, forex brokers directory, forex brokers list, Dollars news affairs, Stock Markets, stock market news, stock market analysis, technology news, international forex markets, international forex business news and all updates about Forex Trading
    ForexAffairs.Com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Super Cars Latest Mazda Models, Racing Cars, International Sport Cars, Concept Cars, PS-Pod, Strange Vehicles, Nissan, Royce Corniche, Ford Concept Cars, Strange Vehicles, Mercedes and More Sport Cars and Vehicles with Pictures and Info
    SuperCars.Com

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!