Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Copycatting: Outline Manicure

Heeeeeey girls.  I have to start this post out with a quick story.  You all probably know my unhealthy love for Target designer collaborations.  I blogged about Jason Wu here and Prabal Gurung here.  So you probably know what I'm about to say next.  Phillip Lim!  I was really excited about this collection. I had been keeping up with all the buzz surrounding it, and I came up with a new strategy:  bring Ben.  I prepped him for it.  Told him all about how Lim's bags are famous, etc etc.  I like accessories, but I'm a clothes girl.  I thought it would be perfect to bring Ben because he could grab the bags while I hit the clothes, and then I'd pick what I wanted later.  Sadly, however, Ben ended up working on Sunday.  I was so bummed!  But then I realized that my friend Michelle would probably be going, so I texted her and told her I'd drive over to her Target so we could go together.  Happily she agreed, and it turned out that she was probably a better partner than Ben because she just knew.  She was all over those bags, and while I scoped out the skirt/dress/top situation she grabbed me an adorable one.  All of this is applicable to today's blog post because Michelle was wearing a FAAAABULOUS outline manicure that she had blogged the other day.  I read her post on it (check it out here) and thought it was cute, but when I saw it in person I was all like WHOA, I gotta do that.  Hers is very clearly superior to what I came up with, but I tried!








Like I said, not perfect but...that'll do, pig.  In retrospect I think I should have chosen another color for the base color.  I used CoverGirl Perfect Penny, which is a metallic rose gold (that's REALLY brushstroke-y), and it turned out to be kind of close to my skin color in photographs.  In a lot of the pictures I took the sides of my nails don't even look painted with Perfect Penny, but I assure you, I went cuticle to cuticle with that stuff.  The primary color here is Sally Hansen Insta-Dri Jumpin' Jade, which I've had forever and I don't think I've ever used.  I wanted to use an Insta-Dri because they have that canoe paddle brush and I thought it would be easier to freehand the interior of the nail with it.  Honestly, it wasn't too hard.  I wish that the bottom of the green would have turned out a bit rounder, but I think it looks pretty good for my first time (Michelle's is way better).

Anyway, the Phillip Lim launch was fun.  Some pieces were worth the hype, some weren't.  But that's how it goes with those Target collaborations.  There was one dress that I had my eye that I didn't see in the store at all.  Neither did my friend Sam, who lives in Massachusetts, so I think it's safe to say that many stores didn't get that one in, period.  I tried on [and bought] a few things that I liked, but my very favorite thing turned out to be this peplum tank in black:


This one was definitely a sleeper hit for me.  Seriously, I pored over that damn lookbook and I didn't even notice this one.  Once I got it on, though, it was so flattering.  It has a nice, sturdy zipper down the front and the fabric is structured and substantial.  I actually ended up getting two bags, too.  I got one the day of the release and then decided to check out the Target by my place yesterday to see what they had.  There was one mini-satchel in black left, so I decided to get it.  I figure that I can return one of them if I decide I don't need one, but honestly I haven't gotten a new bag in quite a while so...why not, right?  I'm also still mulling over the shirt dress that I got.  I think I need to try it on for Ben and see what he thinks.  But anyway, I had a lot of fun and it was good to hang with Michelle.  She got to meet Remy, too, and he was, as always, really happy to make a new friend.  

That's all for today.  Has anyone else tried these outline manicure thingies?  I'm excited to try it with different colors that are a bit starker.  And what about Phillip Lim?  Did you guys snag anything?  Spill!

12 comments:

  1. 1) I LOVE that mani! I'm going to try one now too =)

    2) This is the second time I've seen a glowing review of the peplum top...I may have to go see if my Target (still) has it!

    My bag arrives Thursday!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Almost every Target I've been to since the launch has still had that top in stock. Should be easy enough to snag!

      Delete
  2. What other bag did you get?

    I stayed up hella late for the online launch of this and then rolled into Target the next morning, 3 hours after it opened, and the display was UNTOUCHED, even though Target was packed. It was Seahawks game day, so I think everyone was more hyped up about that than Phillip Lim!

    I ordered the big tote in taupe, the black mini-satchel, and my sister is getting the black top-handle crossbody. In store, I picked up the boom sweatshirt and a taupe mini-satchel. I really wanted the floral print blouse but it was sized so weirdly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got the medium taupe satchel. I think that's what it was called.

      I thought of staying up for the online launch but I'm so bad at shopping online and refreshing pages and searching for links. I really like my black mini-satchel. I discovered that my iPad mini fits in it, so it's not all that small; I was shocked!

      Delete
  3. I love ruffian manis. I need to do one again. I was completely uninterested in this target collabo collection. It was a total yawn to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a simpler collection. Very clean lines and more color blocking than patterns. Very work appropriate. Many not as exciting as a lot of other ones. But now I'm counting down to February 9th...

      Delete
  4. I love this mani!! YOu did a great job! I ordered the black mini satchel online Sunday at 2:30am..it was like a party on twitter..so funny, all of us crazy women stalking Target and updating about it every minute..lol..I may check out my local Target too, I'd like a scarf and maybe the Boom Sweatshirt if I can find one. People down here don't seem to go crazy for this stuff like me..lol..My bag should be here tomorrow..I'm so excited for it!!:)
    LOVE the kitty! He's adorable!! More Remy pics please:))
    xoxo
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More Remy pics on the way! The Boom sweatshirt is cute. I considered it, but I don't know if I'd ever wear it. There are other things I would have loved to have tried on but they weren't at any Targets I stalked. Sad face.

      Delete
  5. Never even tried a ruffian mani. They make me nervous lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is a little different than a ruffian, although I'm not really sure. If you're going to try it I'd definitely recommend a Sally Hansen polish with one of those wacky wide brushes. I think that made it easier.

      Delete
  6. I realize this post is over a month old but I just have to tell you about my PLxT experience.

    I also memorized every last item in that damn lookbook. I had multiple lists of everything I wanted. I was up at six on my only day off to be 4th in line at my Target. I don't know if I just over hyped it but I was just so so so disappointed in this collection. Like seriously, this is below Neiman for me. Half of the items I wanted weren't even at my Target (I'm very annoyed they selectively stocked items) and despite the fact that I literally elbowed a girl to grab at what few bags they had I was so underwhelmed with them I didn't get a single one. The mini ones were too small and I already own a really great Pashli knockoff that I couldn't see myself carrying the target one. The only item I ended up with was the darker grey men's cardigan. For as much as I disliked everything else, I'm completely in love with it though. So warm and awesomely oversized.


    Sigh. I'm still kinda bitter. Hoping and praying Pilotto can restore my faith in Target collabs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm already excited about the Pilotto collab. It sucks that you weren't into any of the clothes. I really liked the navy a-line skirt I ended up getting. It's not distinctively Lim or anything, but it's a good basic navy skirt that's flouncy and cute. I do really love that peplum top, and I also got the shirt dress (which I can't remember if I mentioned in the post and I'm too lazy to go back and read my own writing...). ALSO the mini satchel has been a good bag for me. It fits my iPad mini, which I was shocked at, and also a sizable book (plus wallet, card case, and the roughly million lipsticks I carry with me). Anyway, I liked it better than Prabal Gurung, that's for damn sure.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!