Monday, September 23, 2013

Sharpie Manicure Semi-Fail

One day last week I went to Staples to grab something for Ben for work and I ran across a huge display of Sharpies.  I had seen that they can be used for nail art so I picked up a couple.  I won't lie; I don't have a steady hand and I'm not that creative.  But I decided to try to do a simple tribal inspired pattern with the bronze Sharpie.  It didn't turn out too badly, but I definitely went too small on the pattern.  And then the topcoat smudged it a bit.  Not bad for a first try, though.





polish on my cat

For this I used a base of Orly Purple Velvet which is kind of an epic throwback.  I'm pretty sure this one was either from 2009 or 2010 when we were all like, "Oh mattes?  Come at me."  Weirdly now matte seems to be a thing again.  But anyway, it's a fine matte polish.  It leans more to the red side of purple with a tiny bit of shimmer.  Plus I added topcoat so the finish is a moot point anyway.  I did two coats.  I didn't have too too much trouble with the pattern, but I learned a few things.  First, I wish the tip was a little finer; it was a little hard for me to get sharp, thin lines.  Next, because the the tip isn't super fine it's best to do a larger pattern.  Lastly, I think it's beneficial to put the cap back on the marker and shake it every two nails or so, just to make sure the ink flow is consistent.  Oh, and also...I can't draw a straight line to save my life.  But maybe I'll get better at it.  

Okay, so Saturday was the last day of summer.  And I'm really sad about it.  In fact, I don't even really want to talk about it.  But we went to an Indians game to send off the season in style.  


(we won)

But now I suppose I can start showing fall polishes and doing fall things and drinking fall drinks (hey apple cider; missed ya) and picking fall fruits and gourds.  I guess I'm ready.  Plus, Halloween.  So, yay.

Also, I got my hairs did.  My bangs had completely grown out, which you could probably tell by some of the pictures I've posted on here.  So I got them back.  But the best part about it is that I was telling my hair stylist, Kim, about the Phillip Lim for Target launch and how I had an extra bag that I wasn't sure I wanted to keep.  She asked to see a picture, so I googled it quickly and showed it to her.  As soon as she saw it she told me she'd trade me my haircut for the bag, so that was immediately a done deal.  And then, this:

worth it

That's all.  Anyone else tried this Sharpie business?  I think I'll try a few more times and see what I come up with/if I do less terribly.  Happy Monday, everyone!

7 comments:

  1. That kitten is adorable. I cant get over it. Ive done the sharpie thing before trying to accomplish tribal nails. Complete failure! Also yay for new hair and girrrrrrrrl, FALL IS THE BEST EVER because pumpkin spice, halloween. etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm so not good at nail art and such. Blergh.

      Delete
  2. To avoid the smudging apply a layer of peel off base coat after wards and let it dry clear before adding too coat - Michelle aka LabMuffin has a great post on this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the sharpie nail art by following a YouTube tutorial… I painted random scribbles on my nail after the nail polish was totally dry, and then took a brush soaked in alcohol to the sharpie smudges and nothing, the sharpie didn't budge off my nail and I couldn't even wipe it off… I wanted it to soak into the sharpie markings and disperse into watercolor… What am I doing wrong

      Delete
  3. LOVE the new hair cut!! And the kitten pics with the polishes are just hilarious!! Great mani too!:))
    xoxo
    Ann-Marie

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!