Friday, September 13, 2013

Shopping My Stash: OPI Confucius Says "Coral"

Happy Friday the 13th!  Welcome to the first installment of a monthly series, Shopping My Stash.  Let me get real for a minute:  I buy a lot of polishes, put them away somewhere, and then forget to use them (that happens to everyone, doesn't it...?).  I've been collecting polishes with gusto since about 2008.  Five years of this behavior and I've developed quite the collection with dozens of untried polishes just languishing away, lonely, at the back of one of my [several] Helmer drawers.  A while ago I was toying around with the idea of doing a series wherein I only feature untried polishes from years gone by.  My dear friend Rach from over at stuff i (s)watched expressed an interest in a monthly collaboration, so we're in this together now.  This month we decided to start out with auspicious polishes for a rather unlucky Friday.  

My first pick is a black label OPI.  In true me-fashion, I searched out an untried coral.


shoulda cleaned up around my middle finger's cuticle.  shoulda woulda coulda.




is it wrong to pose Remy with inanimate objects while he's sleeping?  because if it is I just don't wanna be right

First we should probably talk about why I chose this one.  I was digging through my aforementioned Helmer drawers trying to find something that might go along with our theme of "luck."  Honestly, I saw this polish and my brain went, "Ooo, pretty.  Want that one."  Then when I read the name I went from Confucius-->wisdom-->making one's own luck-->blog post.  Plus it's coral, and as Rach told me a few days ago, coral and I are forever (we are).  And hey, creative interpretations are my specialty; just ask any of my past professors.  

Anyway, now we should talk about how squishy and delicious this coral looks.  When I opened the bottle and started applying it I was expecting it to be a straight-up creme.  But it's not.  The formula is sort of a creme-jelly hybrid (which some people insist on calling "crelly;" not here, girls. not here), and it immediately reminded me of some older Essie polishes, particularly the Resort collection from 2010 (Splash of Grenadine, I'm looking at you).  The coverage was great, and the old chemical-laden formula didn't disappoint me at all.  It was easy to work with, even with the old OPI skinny brush.  As for the color, it's a very warm, orange-leaning coral.  I've been trying to think of a dupe for this one and I'm coming up empty-handed.  The base color does, however, appear to be extremely similar to OPI I Eat Mainely Lobster (a now-perennial favorite), which does have gold shimmer in it.

After a bit of Googling I found out that Confucius Says "Coral" is from the OPI Far East Collection of 2000, which brought us Japanese Rose Garden and the first incarnation of Pearl of Wisdom (re-released with the Hong Kong spring 2010 collection).  Ah, nail polish history.  So satisfying.  Anyway, that means this polish is 13 years old.  The formula held up just swimmingly, and I hardly even had to roll the bottle around to disperse the pigment.  This one gets an enthusiastic thumbs up from me.  

Head on over to stuff to see what Rach has to show you.  We're both really excited about doing this series, so I hope you guys like it too!  Sometimes it's fun to pull things out of the vault like this.  You know, like a Disney movie.  Basically we're the Disney movies of nail polish right now, is what I'm saying, so it should be pretty hard not to love us.

Until next time!

16 comments:

  1. Great collaboration, and what a pretty coral!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Wish I could think of a dupe for it.

      Delete
  2. Ah, my main weakness is coral, maybe I will seek it out! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! Never stop posting pictures of Remy with polish bottles.

    I can't remember if we already had this discussion, but I also extremely dislike the term "crelly." NOPE NOPE NOPE DO NOT WANT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, for me it's on par with when people say "blurple." Hi, it's indigo.

      Delete
  4. I love this one...I have it also - i have a ton of the old Black Label ones since I am an older follower and I started adding OPI to my stash when they got started late 80s...I have purged some when I had to whittle down my stash for a move...but I saved a lot of them and almost all that I saved were OPI but that was waaaay back in 1995 so there's been a whole lot of OPIs since then...however I am a lot more picky now when picking up new ones - they all started to sort of repeat it seems or be really close to ones I had...unless it's a magenta which makes me weak in the knees, I usually won't buy a dupe looking one. Keep on collecting...there are folks like us who eventually need to purge tons and tons and just want to find a good home for their babies...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you need to find a home for your old black label babies I'd love to be a foster mom... ;)

      Delete
  5. OMG I love this color. It's so pretty on you. I love the old black label OPIs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was one of my favorite polishes back in the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gail, darling, this post would literally not exist without you. Thank you again!

      Delete
    2. I'm really happy that you're loving them and using them. They were just taking up space at my house!

      Delete
  7. god BLESS you for refusing to use the word crelly. It seriously makes my skin crawl. I hate that word with a horrible passion. I love this polish though. I'm gonna need to go dusty hunt for it some day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahah, "crelly" is the woooooorst.

      Hope everything is going okay over there!

      Delete
  8. Seriously, this was my favorite polish from back in the day. Do you plan to part with this one? I also love my anutie loves chianti.

    ReplyDelete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!