Friday, November 15, 2013

Shopping My Stash: MAC Formidable!

Hey guys.  Welcome to the November edition of Shopping My Stash, a collaboration with Rach of stuff I (s)watched where we explore unused polishes of yesteryear.  This post is a little late this month because Rach and I both had crappy weeks last week.  She had her car incident and I had my kitten incident.  But now we're back on track and better (?) than ever.  Rach let me choose the theme for this month (because it's my birthday month), and because I'm boring I chose vampy.

  




I ended up choosing MAC Formidable!, which is from the 2010 Venomous Villains collection.  The other two polish offerings were the now-legendary Bad Fairy and Mean and Green, both of which I've featured before (they were gifted to me as a set from my friend Michelle).  The color of Formidable! is...interesting.  And for me, just okay.  When it's not in direct sunlight I think it's a bombshell.  When the sun hits it, though, I'm less enamored.  That's when the darker blue shimmer really shines in the plummy base, and to me it just falls flat.  But in natural light it's an interesting little chameleon, and is very pretty.  It flashes purple, pink, and teal.  

The formula is less pretty.  I did three thin coats here, and as you can see in the first picture (in the sunlight), I still had a few bald spots (most notably on my index finger).  Not a fan of that.  And I also refused to do four coats.  The formula is thin and runny, yet not difficult to work with.  So that's a good thing.

People were all disappointed in this three-piece offering from MAC because two of the polishes, Formidable! and Mean and Green, both have dupes in Orly Galaxy Girl and Orly Space Cadet, respectively.  And that's why polish junkies went nuts for MAC Bad Fairy, because it was the only truly unique one of the three.  After wearing all three of them now--it only took me THREE YEARS--I can unequivocally say that Mean and Green is my favorite from this collection.  I don't care that it has an Orly dupe, because I don't have that one and it doesn't bother me.  Forbidable! is so pretty in natural light, but I don't think it's one I'll reach for again...at least not for a while.  I'm glad I finally tried it out, though.  And that's why the Shopping My Stash series is so great for us!

Okay, that's all for today.  I'm glad we got around to doing this collaboration this month.  I was worried I wouldn't be able to get it together.  Crisis averted.

So what do you guys think?  Did you have a favorite of the three polishes from the Venomous Villains collection?  Or did you opt for the Orly polishes instead?

10 comments:

  1. I have Galaxy Girl and usually wear two coats over one coat of OPI Lincoln Park After Dark as underwear. Solves the bald spot issue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good suggestion...but I always get bald spots with LPAD too. Maybe I just use too heavy a hand.

      Delete
  2. Oh jesus this is pretty. I forgot how pretty the fall 2010 releases were. I keep finding myself being drawn to all the stuff from 2009 and 2010 recently. why is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The China Glaze holiday collection from 2010 was amazeballs. I remember that pretty well.

      Delete
  3. I totally remember this one. Wish Id gotten it. -L

    ReplyDelete
  4. Whoa, this looks great on you. Kind of like brocade, even!

    P.S. YOUR NECKLACE !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I kind of think it looked better in pictures than in real life.

      The necklace is from Salem. Those witches know how to bejewel tourists.

      Delete

I love, love, love your comments, guys! Thanks so much for leaving them! I try to respond to questions either in the comments section or in forthcoming posts, so check back later!